View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Up The Ante
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:31 am 
Penguin

Up The Ante, by Martyn Smith

Have any of you tried this yet? It is an amazing trick with a gambling theme that draws the audience into a series of bets that become more and more impossible. When I say impossible, how many card effects out there allow the magician the leeway of showing the deck in a face up spread before giving the deck to the spectator to cut, deal and shuffle - and then to retain the cards all the way throughout the effect? To your customer, this is how a card trick should play....

The instructions are very clear and well thought out with lots of additional ideas thrown in. I have seen video clips on various sites, all of which do not do this effect any justice whatsoever. I nearly didn't go for this based on that but, in the end, bit the bullet - and was I impressed! First time I tried it, instructions in hand, I thought 'no-way is this going to work'; incredibly it did. I still have a big smile on my face everytime the deck is shuffled. This is a self-worker with one heck of a punch. Everything is there and all is required is a normal deck of cards, nothing else. No gaffes, no sleights, no mem-work....nothing. Really allows you to concentrate on the presentation. SOme extremely clever thinking here.

Highly recommended. On the other hand, don't buy it....don't want to be sharing the impact!!!

Post subject: Re: Up The Ante
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:31 am 
Penguin

Sorry, should have said in the last post that this is not really for the table-hopper as a bit of space is needed (a layout type of effect); much better suited if you have a group of people in a pub/bar/around a table etc etc. Packs a edited of a punch. Downside, a reset is required but the effect is definitely well worth this drawback solely for the impact/kick that it gives. Various ways of setting up are given, one very straightforward, the other takes a bit more time/space but ends up looking better.

I use this a LOT! Always plays big. You will not be disappointed. Trust me. Has gone straight into the repertoire and it will stay.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:53 pm 
Penguin

I just bought this trick based on this post.

Then I searched around and read similar glowing reviews. I can't wait to try it out. It sounds like it uses a method that I'm totally unfamiliar with... so it'll be a good lesson.

I plan on having this one ready at any given time. Sounds really really fun. There are certain people who I can't wait to burn with it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:03 pm 

Thanks for the tip on this. It's one I hadn't heard of. I just purchased the download and quickly read over it. It uses some principles that are somewhat well known, but using another principle that isn't well understood.

It should be interesting to see how well this works with people.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:27 am 
Penguin

It plays extremely well with people!

I would say that it uses a principle that is known by SOME people but that it uses it in an unusual way; that is to say that it is working on multiple levels at the same time and in a way hitherto not seen before (at least three different levels - you will understand what i mean when you read the manuscript). Also, the combination of ideas and the presentation 'hook' is really good on this effect. It is extremely well thought out and, in my opinion, is a very fine little self-worker.

I am going to stop recommending this now as, up until now, I was the only one that i know using it!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:03 pm 
Penguin

Hey, anyone know how to get into the online discussion forum about this trick?

The password they say on Merchant of Magic is for the last word on page 7 of the ebook. Well, i have the hard book and the word isn't the same.

Anyone want to help me out? I'm not looking for the password. Just tell me which page has the correct word if I already bought the trick!

I like this trick. I would, however, like to see other people's presentation ideas before I work it into a routine.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:31 pm 

PM'ed you. I'll meet you there to discuss routining.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:43 pm 
Penguin

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:59 am 
Penguin

Without revealing here...

This trick uses a method I was only very slightly familiar with from being involved in magic.

But this execution is the very best I've ever seen. So much so that I didn't recognize the method.

This trick will open your eyes to a different type of magic... This trick has the precision of Bach.

Now I just need to make it my own. You could use the patter provided and still kill with it. But I have some ideas on different ways to take it.

I'm very happy with the purchase.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:06 pm 
born to perform.

This effect is #13 on the Cafe's vote (of those who participated) for Best Effects of 2010.