View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Drawn Apart
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:04 am 
Penguin

Okay, so I was thinking about buying this trick for some time, but I finally broke last weekend and got it. Like I said in a previous thread, I wasn't sure what other people thought about it, but I did some research and it seemed that the people who did buy it liked it.

I didn't like it. I loved it.

The film quality was mehable, but I don't buy magic tricks to be entertained by either the 1080p HD or the riveting personalities selling the tricks. But in this case, as I quickly learned, none of that mattered.

This is the last trick that the young Chase Hubler created before he was tragically killed. I never met Chase, but I feel honored that he shared his last idea with the world before his passing. May he RIP.

Onto the DVD. You learn a ton of different variations on really a ton of different tricks. To say that this is a video on how to make the drawn head of a stick figure move is an understatement. Anything you can draw in permanent ink can be manipulated on a piece of paper.

In my favorite variation, called the JJ Variation, you borrow a piece of paper, have the spectator examine and sign it. Then you draw something on the paper (let's stay with the stick figure example). You show the drawing, then proceed to slide the head right off of the figure and move it around the paper. Finally, you leave the head wherever you please, and hand the paper right over to the spectator to examine and keep. A quick set-up here gives you weeks of otherwise impromptu work with one of the most trippy tricks I've ever seen.

I'm still working on learning the JJ Variation (again, this one is like a miracle), but once I have enough courage, I can't wait to show my friends. This part alone is worth the price of the DVD.

The other variation are also quite good. Some are okay, some aren't too practical. A lot depends on the kind of performer you are and how you work with the crowd. They utilize some well-known principles in some clever ways, and the final product does not disappoint.

The gimmick (depending on the variation) can be make in under a minute to about 20 minutes for some of the other versions.

To put this in the spectators perspective: they see a blank paper or business card. The paper is signed and the magician draws a figure. The permanent ink (usually sharpie) is then visibly manipulated right before their eyes. They are then handed the paper right back and can keep a souvenir for the rest of their lives (or until they lose it lol)

I haven't performed it yet so I won't give it a rating, but I have a feeling that this deserves a VERY high grade. Good job Chase and the guys at imperfectreality.com that made his final vision come true.