View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Wonderland by enchantment
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:31 pm 
Penguin

Teaching: A little boring but understandable.

Gimmicks: 6/10, mainly basic items

Effects: Vanish small items.

Angles: 5/10

Ok. To start off, i don't really like this trick. It is what it show on the video, but you end very dirty. The angles are quite a problem too. The method is ok, but it is similar to a very old and easy method just that it is much faster and more natural. However, what i like is the routines in the dvd, they are very creative. If not for the routines and just for the method i would rate this lower, but because of the routine i decided to give it higher ratings. The trick is, you vanish an item and it changes into something or just simply vanish it which ever way you end not very cleanly, especially for bigger items, and the gimmick is not strong enough to vanish some item. The vanish is not really vanish it does not completely vanish the thing, just that your audience cannot see it( Hope i did not give away the method of the trick). You could do a simple vanish to layman and it look similar, just that this one you could kind of show both hands are empty without ditching.

Thus, 1/10 for the method,
3/10 for the routines.
Overall 4/10.

If you actually buy this trick, you would find the pros and cons balance out each other. I not sure if i would say " buy it" or " Don't buy it". But if you are looking for a complete vanish, i would say do not buy it. But after what bowman said i think that if you love various routines which you could do with wonderland vanishing and then change into something else/go into the pouch which is on your mouth all along, you can consider, but the method sucks. Sad to say, if you are looking for something which vanishes small things completely and end clean, then this is not really for you, but the routines there are not bad.

Ps: One question, with nice routines, but stupid method would you waste your money to buy it? I guess i wouldn't. The method really sucks, you would be disappointed, but the routines are back-ups to prevent flamings of the entire dvd. Im getting kind of pissed each day i saw wonderland dvd(TORCH IT~ jk) on my desk, because i wasted money on something which is not practical and something which i will not bring out. I guess i had been too lenient trying to make wonderland look a little better previously because of the routines. However, i realised that so what if there are good routines, with stupid method who would want to perform it and it actually make sense if you think about it. Thus, i lowered my ratings. Craig and David comments on wizard product reviews about the dvd made sense too, check it out, and im surprise by their ratings of 4% & 5%/100%. At least wonderland's creator made an effort in giving various routines, and gimmicks, so i don't think they deserve such a low ratings of 4-5%, but the method deserve.

Last edited by ThatsMagical on Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:14 am, edited 5 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Wonderland by enchantment
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:19 pm 
Penguin

I recently got this and kinda saw it differently. I was impressed.
I can also understand a lot of the things ThatsMagical said.

I personally thought the gimmicks and the things supplied were great. They are specific to the trick and you won't be able to do it (at least not nearly as well) without the specific things you get. You also get special candy that will last a lifetime. There are other things in the kit that were just nice inclusions like a necklace and ball. For $14 I was surprised at all that came with the trick.

Angles I can pretty much agree. The angles are mainly from the front. Think of along the lines of the Messiah Vanish by Jay Sankey.
If you don't mind wearing sleeves, the angles are improved to being 'good'. The enchantment has a forum with videos where he shows surrounded tricks that are covered from every angle with a jacket. So your angles depend on if you wear sleeves or not. It is at least nice having the option of performing with or without sleeves...or naked lol :)

In my opinion I thought the vanishes and the productions were fantastic. You get quite a few more then the ones shown on the demo which was a nice surprise. They all look like real magic (at least to me they did). And not something you (or at least I) could do that would look similar to sleight of hand to a layman.

Ending clean depends on what you do (and again if you are wearing sleeves or not). For example, one routine is a borrowed signed coin that vanishes and appears in an empty jewelry pouch (pouch supplied with the trick). This ends clean. But I agree that if you want to vanish an object and leave it vanished, you need to do a minor clean up. If you intend on bringing the vanished thing back and magically make it appear, you do end clean. Again, think along the lines of doing any vanish you currently do, where you make the coin vanish, and then make it appear seconds later. By making it appear you don't end dirty with the coin in a (we'll say) classic palm. Hopefully this makes some sense because I'm not sure if I'm saying as well. And with sleeves you can do a complete vanish (where the coin stays gone) and end clean. But I agree with ThatsMagical, if only thing you want is a vanish where the thing stays gone and not reappeared, you might not like the 'sleeveless' wonderland.

Like I said, I was impressed. But it may depend on what you are looking for. The magic with wonderland looks as good as any vanishes and productions I think you'll find. The price is $14 with special gimmicks and all which to me makes this a good buy.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=S12991

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:59 am 
Penguin

Yup. I agree with what you say. It really depend on what you think. Because i hate the angles problems and the dirtiness, because you need to ditch the gimmick which is not easy to, before you could proceed with other tricks. And it is not really a complete vanish. The gimmick is indeed quite well made and yes the pouch routine, thats why i gave higher rating because of the routine which allow you to look more cleaner, though you still have the gimmick on you. And it is more suitable for fatter hands actually to make sure no one could see it from the front.

What i meant by trick could be done by sleight of hand, is not because things is done similarly, is the pros and cons of both balance each other out. In this case the sleight of hand would be retention vanish.

Retention vanish:
When you misdirect by blowing your empty hand, you ditch the coin away to your pocket at the same time. You could show both hand empty.

Wonderland:
You vanish swiftly, show both hands empty with immediate effect.

Pros and cons:

Retention vanish is commonly use, and people would not be impress if they knew already. Even if they do not know, the vanishing method is not as nice as wonderland, and you could not show both hands. However it ends clean(If you ditch the coin in your pocket)

For wonderland, it vanishes item in a new way, you could show both hands immediately but not very clean, and you could not ditch the gimmick easily. However, wonderland vanish is nice and it has routines which makes the trick last longer and impress people more.

Suddenly thought of a keypoint.
*For wonderland you could only vanish small items, so you could achieve it easily with thumbclip or w/e. since small items could be hide in your hand easily, and laymans would want to check everywhere of your hand to make sure it has completely vanish, which they can't. And the method of wonderland is the same as a old trick of "complete vanish", just that much more convenient and much swifter.

Whats the point of buying wonderland if the vanish is not really complete vanish? it does not stands out from others. Thats what i think. But it is quite a good vanish though.

PS: You said wearing sleeve make you look more clean, but remeber? the whole point of wonderland is w/o sleeve.

Last edited by ThatsMagical on Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:13 pm 
Penguin

I think we are pretty much on the same page with this.
If the buyer wants a complete vanish where the object vanishes and stays gone, and they don't want to wear sleeves, then wonderland probably wouldn't be for them.
But what I was getting at is if the buyer wants to do a vanish and then later produce it, wonderland is a high level of magic that will do this, with or without sleeves. More along the lines of a routine then just a vanish. You could do a 2-3 minute one coin flurry routine using vanishes and productions with wonderland and each vanish and production could be different.
And you are right, without sleeves the object can not be very big.
I don't know if sleeveless is the whole point of wonderland, maybe it is I don't know...but at least with sleeves, wonderland can be used for surrounded performances or complete vanishes where the object stays gone.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:17 pm 
Penguin

M1Bowman wrote:
I think we are pretty much on the same page with this.
If the buyer wants a complete vanish where the object vanishes and stays gone, and they don't want to wear sleeves, then wonderland probably wouldn't be for them.
But what I was getting at is if the buyer wants to do a vanish and then later produce it, wonderland is a high level of magic that will do this, with or without sleeves. More along the lines of a routine then just a vanish. You could do a 2-3 minute one coin flurry routine using vanishes and productions with wonderland and each vanish and production could be different.
And you are right, without sleeves the object can not be very big.
I don't know if sleeveless is the whole point of wonderland, maybe it is I don't know...but at least with sleeves, wonderland can be used for surrounded performances or complete vanishes where the object stays gone.

Agree with you dude! Wonderland is definetely for buyer who want to do routines like vanish and produce it later, but its not for complete vanishing. I was expecting it to be some gimmick whereby you could vanish things completely. Hmm, because sleeving is well known, if you had sleeve your audience would suspect that you sleeve things up which is not wonderland is doing, thats why magicians roll up their sleeves when doing tricks to prevent audience from suspecting this and that.

PS: I starting to think wonderland is good due to your stand on the fact that it is for routines instead of just complete vanish. i decided to put a recommendation on my first post for those looking for routines.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:30 am 
born to perform.

This trick is cr ap. I dont have it but you can tell just by the video it self. Just do a simple pass and save your money.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:32 am 
Penguin

aces_up_41 wrote:
This trick is cr ap. I dont have it but you can tell just by the video it self. Just do a simple pass and save your money.

Yup, a false pass is enough. However, i just appreciate his efforts in the routines, but for the method NO WAY MAN! its stupid and a v old method, just much swifter(but with a gimmick which is difficult to ditch)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:45 pm 
Penguin

It got reamed on the Wizard Product Review.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:10 pm 
born to perform.

Got ripped here too:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:34 pm 
born to perform.

Making Skittles vanish... all the magic of eating!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:46 am 
Penguin

Very brief question. What is "normally" included beyond the DVD of course. I've noticed in the demo the gimmicks are far larger and capable of supporting most objects of a nominal weight and size. The working gimmicks i received are quite small (2 total and yes size matters... :-)) and can not in anyway support the shells I use nor the ball bearing included. I've found this easy to carry for simple routines and in close quarters. Have I been shorted or are the remaining working gimmicks still attached to an assembly area and left feeling that there is certainly more.
Thanks in advance. :mrgreen: