View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: On the Spot - Greg Wilson
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:20 am 
Penguin

On the Spot

By Greg Wilson

Overall: :D :D :D :D :D / :D :D :D :D :D

This DVD is amazing! With over 13 effects (Both quick tricks and full routines), this DVD gives the magician an arsenal of great effects that can all be performed “On the Spot”

Price: :D :D :D :D
From one point of the perspective, 50 bucks is a lot to spend on a 2 hour DVD. From another point of view, it is an excellent deal, because of everything this DVD teaches. For me it was a lot to spend, but definitely worth it. There is material that I WILL USE on this DVD.

DVD Quality:
:D :D :D :D
Originally on VHS rather than DVD, you can tell that it is not super great quality. This is not to say it is bad either. All of the important moves can be seen clearly which is the important thing.

Teaching Quality:
:D :D :D :D :D :D
Since this is my review, I am going to give the teaching section 6 out of 5! Greg’s teaching is not only amazing, but he is hilarious! There is no better teacher than a fun teacher! He keeps your interest throughout the entire DVD, and shows every move very well. He does not spend multitudes of time on each sleight, but makes it clear how it is to be performed. He keeps things simple and to the point. Not only does he explain the sleights though. He also gets right down to the misdirection and timing. He teaches a lot about how to entertain, rather than just how the tricks work. Another thing I liked about him is that he also gives many different magicians their due credit for the sleights he uses. I am quickly becoming a fan of Greg Wilson!

Effects: :D :D :D :D :D

¾ Across :D :D :D :D
A quick trick that looks spectacular! Only 3 quarters are used, and they instantly transport from one hand to the other one by one. An amazing coins across that is appropriate for almost any occasion. Decently simple handling, and a great explanation.

Ring Fright :D :D :D :D :D
Ingenious! Greg explains two different tricks that you can combine to make a simple short routine. A ring is placed on one finger, and as he moves his hand up and down it instantly appears on another finger. He then tosses the ring up into the air multiple times and stabs through the center with his finger. He finishes with a gag of accidentally throwing the ring. Hilarious reactions always follow. Another routine that hits hard with simple principles.

Questionable Trick :D :D :D :D :D
A dime and a penny trade places inside the spectators own hand! In amazing transposition with crazy easy handling.

Florida Keys :D :D :D :D :D
WOW! A key not once, not twice, but three times penetrates a completely normal key ring. And the third time it VISUALLY penetrates ONTO the ring in MID AIR!! This is a crazy trick that looks AMAZING! I can almost guarantee that this is one of the best tricks on this DVD. It is an intermediate trick that might take a while to perfect, but once you got it, it is one you will be using constantly!

Quicksilver :D :D :D :D
Time to put your performing skills to the test! A quarter vanishes 3 + times, and appears in the strangest places... Your eye.... A spectators shoulder.... and finally UNDER THIER OWN WATCH! An amazing transport that flows well with the first routine (¾ Across)

Glossy Finish :D :D :D :D
An amazing transposition of... borrowed lipstick. It travels from the back of a spectator’s hand to the inside! An AMAZINGly simple trick that hits hard!

Head Trip :D :D
A hilarious vanish routine where napkins disappear along with other objects! The only reason I only gave it 2 smileys is because it is not really a practical trick. To perform the entire routine effectively you need a stooge (secret assistant), and you can only perform it for one person. It is not a street effect, and you need to be performing it for the right crowd in the right place. It is an amazingly fun effect, but not very practical.

Sponge Napkins :D :D :D :D
A fun impromptu sponge balls routine with crumpled up napkins. It has basically simple handling with a fun response from whoever you perform it for.

Toll Free :D :D :D :D
A miniature miser’s dream with only 3 coins! A quarter is placed in the pocket multiple times with different sleights, and it always travels back even when you keep your hand in your pocket! There is a big finish with a silver dollar that is a lot of fun.

99 Cent Trick :D :D :D :D
Quick trick with pocket change, 3 quarters disappear and the final quarter changes into a penny, thus the 99 cents. It is a quick fun effect that can easily be incorporated with other coin effects.

Playful Pickpocketing :D :D :D :D :D
A fun pickpocketing routine that will leave spectators wondering whether they still have their belongings! It can be performed as a routine in and of itself, or it can be incorporated with other effects! It is very easy to perform, and a lot of fun to do. It is not in depth pickpocketing, but Greg teaches you how to steal pens and other items.

Ticker Taker :D :D :D :D
More on pickpocketing! It is the watch steal that is easy! Easy... that is... compared to other methods. It still takes some guts to perform, but Greg teaches it well so that you feel confident that you can do it! *TIP* Practice this one on friends and family before taking it public

Recap Revisited :D :D :D :D :D
Probably the most fun routine on this DVD! It is a six phase pen routine where either the pen disappears or the cap does! First, the cap disappears, and is found to be on the other end of the pen. Then, the cap is striked with the pen, and instantly vanishes! It is produced from behind the knee, and is striked again. This time the cap doesn’t disappear, but the pen does! The pen is found to be behind the ear. The magician grabs it, and strikes his clenched fist with the cap in it. The cap once again disappears and is found to be inside of the magician’s ear! Finally, the pen is pulled from midair, and recapped, completely ready to perform again! Fairly simple handling, and a lot of fun to perform!

In closing, I would like to say that this is an amazing DVD that contains some amazing routines! It does not only address the sleight of hand, but also a lot of performance tips! Greg teaches you a lot about entertaining people. You can see how people react to him, and when he performs for people he almost instantly bonds with them and makes them feel comfortable. He is a truly great performer, teacher, and magician. Thanks Greg!

Post subject: Re: On the Spot - Greg Wilson
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:52 am 
born to perform.

Great review! Thanks for posting it! I think you need to go back and have another look at 'head trip'...I don't think you understand the concept.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:11 am 
born to perform.

NICE REVIEW! I have to agree with revelation77, give Head Trip another look. It certainly can be performed without a stooge. I give it :D :D :D :D :D

Interesting note - Even if all of the tricks were junk, viewing Greg's performance style would be worth the price of admission.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:51 am 
born to perform.

EZrhythm wrote:
NICE REVIEW! I have to agree with revelation77, give Head Trip another look. It certainly can be performed without a stooge. I give it :D :D :D :D :D

Interesting note - Even if all of the tricks were junk, viewing Greg's performance style would be worth the price of admission.

This has got to be one of my favourites DVD in my collection. and I do agree with rhythm, greg's performances are fantastic. Its just so entertaining and I learn so much just watching him, in ANY of his DVDs. I just hate how good he is with sylvester's pitch..... :cry:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:07 am 
Penguin

Thanks for the feedback! I will definitely be watching the DVD a few times over again, so I will be taking another look at "Head Trip". Greg is definitely an awesome magician and has a VERY unique performance style. Thanks again for the comments

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:37 pm 
born to perform.

I like when he sets up the specs for something amazing and then says, "That WOULD have been amazing, but I'm not that good."

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:47 am 
born to perform.

this dvd is good one of the first ones i got from penguin :) it and card stunts were my 2 bonuses; and yes the sylvesters pitch is evil :evil:

Also i use the look they changed places in my spongeball routine lol