View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Photosynthesis by Andrew Mayne
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:20 am 
born to perform.

Review of Photosynthesis by Andrew Mayne
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/2507

Noticed penguin is starting to sell it. I bought it direct from Andrew Mayne. I thought it was suppose to be limited release? I guess not anymore :(
Now pros/cons of this

Pros:
- I think price is great. Good value
- DVD is pretty good. Andrew Mayne has put out some less than good dvds, but this is good.
- Handlings taught are good. Nothing too fiddly
- Self contained (for some handlings, not for signed Card photo, that requires a “load”)
- Gimmick looks good and is reusable.
- Good revelation that can be applied to lots of things.

Cons
- Some handlings require an inside breast pocket (i.e. suit jacket) to do smoothly for the “load” for signed card. While not entirely necessary, it’s required for the best handling and for what is taught on the dvd
- I can see the photo becoming very tattered and worn after some time and you may have to buy a big one
- MAJOR CON!! The thing doesn’t work all the time. You need to consider temperature. I feel this is ok to say (not revealing secrets) because on the dvd Andrew Mayne even recommends using the patter line of “heat sensitive Polaroid” so your spectators will help u heat it up. Its winter here, and my hands are not warm enough to make it work, not even in the day. However it works on my belly. I guess some people will have warmer hands than others naturally. This thing will probably only work in a certain temperature range which i’m yet to discover exactly what that is.

Overall its pretty worth getting considering the price is low. Only limited by temperature.

Post subject: Re: Photosynthesis by Andrew Mayne
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:03 am 
born to perform.

keepitbottled wrote:
Review of Photosynthesis by Andrew Mayne
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/2507

Noticed penguin is starting to sell it. I bought it direct from Andrew Mayne. I thought it was suppose to be limited release? I guess not anymore :(
Now pros/cons of this

Pros:
- I think price is great. Good value
- DVD is pretty good. Andrew Mayne has put out some less than good dvds, but this is good.
- Handlings taught are good. Nothing too fiddly
- Self contained (for some handlings, not for signed Card photo, that requires a “load”)
- Gimmick looks good and is reusable.
- Good revelation that can be applied to lots of things.

Cons
- Some handlings require an inside breast pocket (i.e. suit jacket) to do smoothly for the “load” for signed card. While not entirely necessary, it’s required for the best handling and for what is taught on the dvd
- I can see the photo becoming very tattered and worn after some time and you may have to buy a big one
- MAJOR CON!! The thing doesn’t work all the time. You need to consider temperature. I feel this is ok to say (not revealing secrets) because on the dvd Andrew Mayne even recommends using the patter line of “heat sensitive Polaroid” so your spectators will help u heat it up. Its winter here, and my hands are not warm enough to make it work, not even in the day. However it works on my belly. I guess some people will have warmer hands than others naturally. This thing will probably only work in a certain temperature range which i’m yet to discover exactly what that is.

Overall its pretty worth getting considering the price is low. Only limited by temperature.

When you say reusable... do you mean you can only use the same image over and over again (like always revealing Coca Cola) or can you reveal different things every time?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:10 am 
born to perform.

better PM u about it. YES it is reusable. More detail in your PM

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:17 am 
Team Penguin

It was a limited release when Andrew Mayne did it at first... until the general release. Essentially, ordering it from him got it to you before anyone else could have.

I just picked this up. Never been disappointed by a Mayne product, so I'm excited to get it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:23 am 
born to perform.

Popchris wrote:
It was a limited release when Andrew Mayne did it at first... until the general release. Essentially, ordering it from him got it to you before anyone else could have.

I just picked this up. Never been disappointed by a Mayne product, so I'm excited to get it.

Limited release is a waste of time. I literally just got it last week. It did not ship as scheduled and i would of much rather waited for penguin to stock it had i known there was going to be a general release.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:17 am 
Penguin

is camera required? or just 1 undeveloped polaroid film?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:29 am 
born to perform.

ThatsMagical wrote:
is camera required? or just 1 undeveloped polaroid film?

Its a gimmicked film that reveals anything. No camera.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:00 pm 

I haven't seen a polaroid camera used by anyone that wasn't a magician in close to 20 years. What is the fascination over the past few years with magicians using them? In the age of digital technology, no one is familiar with these things. I've heard magicians complain about guys like me that use silver coins to work with because they're so uncommon now, but no one seems to point this out.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:26 pm 
Penguin

And if you loved the effect enough to use it I sure it you could justify it in your patter, like it being interesting because it's an antique.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:14 pm 
born to perform.

Retro stuff is in!

Clothes, Vinyl, non-digital cameras, i've even seen hipsters use type writers. Just to be ironic.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:00 pm 
born to perform.

You found a photo from the seventies that has faded away and use it to go back in time to see the card that was chosen, or something chosen like Cheetoes. You could even use a flash device.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:08 pm 
Penguin

I have to say, this sounds intriguing.