View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Modern Triumph by Michael Muldoon
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 3:29 pm 
Penguin

The trick:
This is a Triumph type card reveal with a gimmicked deck to eliminate the use of sleights and create a greater effect. Spectator choses a card and it is returned to the deck. The performer then splits the deck with part facing up and part facing down, then riffle or faroe shuffles the two parts. The shuffle is left loose to impress the spectator that he can clearly see that some cards are face up and some are face down. The shuffle is then closed up and the deck fanned to show all cards face up except for "selected card" face down. The fan can be reversed to show all backs except for the selected card.

Construction:
I was a little disappointed in the appearance of the deck when I first examined it. It looks strange as if composed of two different card stocks and part warped. Working on the deck removed most of the warping but the deck still looks suspicious if the edge is scrutinized.

Video/Instruction Quality:
I thought the video was good quality and the instruction thorough with lots of tips for performing.

Performance Quality:
Well the deck can't be examined for starters. Some control of the spectator's actions must be taken. The final reveal shows the selected card offset from its faced down position which disappoints. Michael does discuss an additional gimmick to the deck to minimize this effect, but this begs the question why it wasn't included.
Overall, I rate this trick a 3 out of 5. With a slick, fast paced performance, this should please a magic unsavy audience without any great skill on the part of the performer.

Post subject: Re: Modern Triumph by Michael Muldoon
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 9:54 pm 
Penguin

There was another post awhile back on this trick. From watching the clip I deduced the R&S principle was involved as when the deck is ribbon spread at the end only 26 (actually 27) cards are visible. I take it the fronts of the cards are treated. My problem is that it's a one-trick deck and it can't be examined-- meaning you'd have to switch decks to perform other tricks.

If a trick deck must be used to accomplish the Triumph effect I think I'd go with the 'Cheek-to-Cheek' deck. It's 100% automatic, no R&S is involved, and it's dirt cheap. I think it sells for under $6 (I don't know the quality of this $6 deck, I bought the $12 version that was Bicycles). PM me if you want to discuss this deck, if I post the secret publically I might get in trouble.

There are some fantastic ways to accomplish Triumph with a regular deck. Jon Racherbaumer just re-publish his book 'Arch-Triumphs' which has a dozen or so methods. This is one of those highly sought after books that used copies sold for big bucks on e-Bay for its rarity. Dai Vernon invented the original trick and you just can't beat it (I believe it's in the Stars of Magic book).

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 11:34 pm 
Site Admin

Have you checked out his Six by 6 DVD it has his Triumph routine but it is not a gimmicked deck and can be handed out afterwards, nothing fishy.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 10:39 pm 
Penguin

THANKS fcchief, I was wondering about that 6 x six dvd. You've convinced me to buy it. I'm hoping there's some other good tricks on there besides the one you mentioned. If I had a dvd to recommend that I've bought recently it would be 'Function 9'. It contains some really great material. The guys over on Wizard Product Review said it was their pick for DVD of the Year (that's quite a compliment considering the number of dvds they review every week...usually 4 or 5). The pen in bottle is worth the price of the dvd, he could have sold that trick alone for $40. It opens up worlds to possibilities (I've been in magic for decades and had no idea about this light refraction principle...I even own the book Conjuror's Hydraulic and Pneumatic Secrets and had to go back and find it...what a dumb [edited] I am).