View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: SPIKE COIN
PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 4:17 pm 

THE NUTSHELL: A wonderful principle, that unfortunately has no use in my arsenal.

THE REVIEW: Obviously, this isn’t going to be one of my more important reviews. This is not a breakthrough in magic or a reputation-maker. This is a trick designed for kid magicians or people who don’t take magic too seriously. Will I ever use the Spike Coin? No. However, being one of the first magic tricks I’ve ever known, going back to when I was a kid, I definitely have a “soft spot” for it.

If you showed this to a spectator, although they wouldn’t view you as a master magician, they would be puzzled. People are absolutely baffled by this illusion. One of the reasons that I like the Spike Coin is because I feel it captures the essence of magic for me: a simple yet deceptive method. Unfortunately – and I do mean unfortunately – it is just not professional enough for me nor most of you. It is a tacky, low-maintenance prop, and even if it was of better quality, it is a dumb trick to carry around with you.

That said, I recommend buying the Spike Coin with your next purchase. First, it is three dollars, which is very little to spend on anything. Second, you will appreciate the novelty. It may help broaden your perspective. Beginner magicians, this will teach you a valuable lesson: powerful magic does not need to be complicated or expensive. Finally, it is the ideal giveaway if you are doing a kids show. I’m not grading this based on how much I use it, so much as how much it is worth it. For the reasons above, I recommend the Spike Coin and give it a 5.

(Tomorrow’s Review: Jokers Wild)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 4:30 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Like you said...good for kids. Most adults will easily figure it out. The construction and depth of the box is a definate giveaway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 6:43 pm 
born to perform.

I'm working with a sculptor at the community college to mae a larger one for a stage show. Instead of a 50 cent piece, I'll be using an oversized aluminum Manhole cover and some swords.

By the way, Jay Sanke has a funny little patter with one of this on one of his videos. (can;t remember which one)

Last edited by flogger on Sun Feb 29, 2004 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 6:56 pm 
born to perform.

wow, you brought up the fact that I actually have seen this trick before!
It was one of my first tricks WAAY back, WAAY back when I thought I couldn't be nearly as good as the magicians on TV.
I think I lost mine or something, but its def. not coming back to my trick repitoire.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 5:21 pm 
born to perform.

they should make a metal one with real nails. that would make it look more professional

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 5:42 pm 
Emperor Penguin

skate13 wrote:
they should make a metal one with real nails. that would make it look more professional

I found some brass versions on google but the prices are ridiculously high...
Dime size - $35
Quarter size - $60
Half Dollar size - $98

One good thing about the $3 plastic version is that you can use a real Half Dollar instead of the plastic coin it comes with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 12:51 am 
born to perform.

This, crazy dice thingy, and ball and vase ar te worst tricks i've bought here. howevr, tel-a- vision, the othr cheap one is great. i don't use it, but i think it's funny how it works...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 11:20 am 
born to perform.

i saw a professional looking one ofthese that came with proper nails and the "thing" the coin goes into was wooden with cool patterns and stuff. it looked really nice because it looked professional rather the bog standard cheapo one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 4:34 pm 
born to perform.

Frijid_Pink wrote:
Like you said...good for kids. Most adults will easily figure it out. The construction and depth of the box is a definate giveaway.

Yes. And the good thhing is, u can also use a real half dolloa. Not that plastic coin.