View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: A bunch of short reviews (shoelaces, keys, cards, and more!)
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:54 pm 
born to perform.

David Bui's AWFAP Book Test

Comes with: 14 page PDF file

An impromptu book test that can be performed using a borrowed book. Interesting concept, you're actually moving your finger around and instructing them to say stop at a general page area. Then you hold it for them to get a better concentration of the page. Reminds me of Osterlind's little magnifying glass on the magazine trick, but no gimmick needed for this. Does require a bit of fishing, but can easily be modified to perform "first word on the page" type of effect.

Contains one bold move, but should fly with no issues. Overall if you're looking for a completely impromptu book test that can be slapped down using any random book on the shelf, this is a clever one.

$13 from pthuong@gmail.com

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Word In A Million by JB Magic

http://www.mjmmagic.com/store/word-in-a ... -3716.html

$18.90 with returning discount

Another book test that uses a clever old toy that we all probably played with at some time. The whole "any book" advertisement isn't exactly correct, since it'll require a hard bound book. You also need good spectator management if you don't want them to find your method. Letting them fling the book all around would be a poor idea. What I like best about Word in a Million is the magi is FAR REMOVED from the spectator while they pick a word and open the book. In fact, you could be in a different room, and never really know what book they chose.

The best performance situation would be to have multiple books to choose from, IMHO. Downside is the spectator must write the word down, then tear it up/burn it/pocket it, whatever. No center tear needed.

Changeabill by Fred Berthelot

http://www.penguinmagic.com/specialorde ... hp?ID=8021

$17.46

I've been doing this for about a week now, and reactions are nuts. You're holding a borrowed bill at your fingertips, then it visually becomes another bill of your choosing at the spectator's eye level. If you saw a demo, you'd wonder [edited] just happened. And unfortunately you'd also guess the method. Magicians will instantly recognize the visual change, since it's been in use a long time for other things. Includes a "million dollar bill" which is cute, I remember almost buying one of those a year back.

You do end rather dirty, and a TT won't help since the bill was folded into quarters. But if you can ditch well, then here's a stunning bill switch. I hate to say it, but I've practiced the Juan Hundred Dollar Bill Switch for hours upon hours, and this gets a better reaction with significantly less time invested.

But I do end sparkly clean with Juan's.

Symbiotic

http://www.themagicteacher.com/symbiotic.html

$14.97

Demo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NG6DJ57E0dE

Made for YouTube effect, that suffers from a huge variety of issues. You must be seated (unless you insert your own coin vanish), his proposed coin vanish is a ripoff of another coin vanish on the market, there's a serious noise issue if you're doing this at a restaurant with plastic tables. Not to mention the verbiage "the spectator signs the coin" - they mark it, not sign it.

I guess if you're frequently seated at McDonalds for coffee, and conveniently have a loud background noise it would be ok.

Dynamo - Colour Changing Shoelaces

http://www.penguinmagic.com/specialorde ... hp?ID=9400

$20.25

Demo:

http://www.sneaker-magic.com
(warning: website embedded video stinks)

Gangsta rapper magician from the UK: Dynamo with his first DVD trick release. Any color shoelaces become any other color shoelaces. Requires an extra pair of shoes and long pants, plus watching the video will instantly spoil "the method". Depending upon how much cash you dumped into your current pair of shoes, could be an expensive effect.

The visual nature is alarming, and his street performances to other teens elicit explosive reactions. People leap back, run off screaming - probably twice as potent as the Self Tying Shoelace (and ten times more expensive). If you've been searching for that perfect accompanying trick to your favorite STS, this is definitely the ticket.

The Omega Gimmick - Bob Solari

http://www.gmrcreations.com/bob/16-50.htm#omegagimmick

$19.95

Add this to your existing (blue) Bicycle deck to instantly know a card selected by the spectator. You must slightly modify your deck for it to work, but it's worth the trouble. I opened this up and started laughing with excitement. Cool, coooool idea and incredible gimmick. Like something a spy would use to detect a card in a deck.

I can think of at least 20 ways to use this to detect a spectator's card. You can literally have them take any card, face down, look at it then return to anywhere in the deck, and instantly know the card. Yes it's that good (and cool). Bob includes 2 pages of instructions, but this has limitless possibilities and routines you could do.

Can also be added to a borrowed (blue) Bicycle deck, even shuffled. Speaking of which, the gimmick does not hinder shuffling, but you cannot let the spectator do it for obvious reasons.

Bob's customer service was also excellent. I ordered on Thursday, received on Saturday. Bravo.

Killer Key - Jay Sankey

http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=1114

$20.00

Demo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnNbkeMJduQ

Small trick you can carry around at all times. No clue why this isn't recommended more (or at least discussed). The gimmick will last forever, and Jay includes multiple handlings on the DVD, even non gimmicked ones if you so choose. I've been sticking to the demo video presentation, but added a "haunted key" theme to kick it up further. Also added a Goshman's pinch nickel appearance at the end, but hey that's just me.

If you're looking for a SPECTACULAR visual effect that's easy on pocket space, impromptu, and street friendly, you can't go wrong. And best of all, it's self-working with no sleights whatsoever. This is slowly replacing 3/4 Across as my new opener.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:02 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Great entertaining reviews... as usual. A lot of these things sound really awesome... they may just be added to my "Wish List". Thanks for the reviews.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:35 am 
Penguin

I always thaught killer key was a very strong piece of magic.
I should buy it.

Elliot Carver

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:59 am 
born to perform.

Thanks for the reviews!

Quote:
Reminds me of Osterlind's little magnifying glass on the magazine trick

Is this the same Magazine Test contained on his Mind Mysteries Volume 1?

Brucelee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:38 pm 
born to perform.

Question for fist - How much money outside of my tenner will I have to spend on Word in a Million once I have it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:50 pm 
born to perform.

povallsky wrote:
Question for fist - How much money outside of my tenner will I have to spend on Word in a Million once I have it?

You'll need some Post-It Notes (couple bucks?). Comes with the gimmick, so if you already own a hardbound book you're set to go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:24 am 
born to perform.

Quote:
Thanks for the reviews!

Quote:
Reminds me of Osterlind's little magnifying glass on the magazine trick

Is this the same Magazine Test contained on his Mind Mysteries Volume 1?

Brucelee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:46 am 
born to perform.

Wicked, post-its are about £1 round my end so all in all this is looking more and more like part of my next purchase.

Thanks