View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:13 pm 
born to perform.

I have but this particular move will be a card in hands switch not a card in box switch. Thus my interests in switches that use a bluff pass principle. My biggest concern is the movement toward the deck exchange and not the replacement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:47 pm 
born to perform.

Topit?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:53 pm 
born to perform.

Yep...that's where I'm headed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:29 am 
Penguin

Popchris wrote:
Go with Pocket Switch. Shuttle pass seems way too... unnessisary. Magicians tend to think that since you CAN do a move, you should.

"examine this ordinary deck... 52 cards, no duplicates, no particular order... is it fine? thanks.
now, i will place this ordinary deck in my pocket for no reason, and i will come out of the pocket with the same deck..."

it doesn't seem to work well.
of course it could work if you intend to do a trick with a regular deck, then a non-card effect, and then a gimmicked deck effect. but if that's not the case, the pocket switch won't fool anybody.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:28 am 
born to perform.

nanowarrior wrote:
Popchris wrote:
Go with Pocket Switch. Shuttle pass seems way too... unnessisary. Magicians tend to think that since you CAN do a move, you should.

"examine this ordinary deck... 52 cards, no duplicates, no particular order... is it fine? thanks.
now, i will place this ordinary deck in my pocket for no reason, and i will come out of the pocket with the same deck..."

of course it could work if you intend to do a trick with a regular deck, then a non-card effect, and then a gimmicked deck effect. but if that's not the case, the pocket switch won't fool anybody.
I'm sorry but you could not be more wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:34 am 
Penguin

revelation77 wrote:
nanowarrior wrote:
Popchris wrote:

I'm sorry but you could not be more wrong.

maybe you could tell me why?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:04 am 
born to perform.

Because I have used it multiple times in a professional situation and it works. Of course you can't do it when they're burning your hands but that's not when you do it. I have recently adapted it to be even more invisible. I think you'll find if you put some thought and time behind it, the 'pocket switch' has benefits.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:27 am 
Penguin

revelation77 wrote:
Because I have used it multiple times in a professional situation and it works. Of course you can't do it when they're burning your hands but that's not when you do it. I have recently adapted it to be even more invisible. I think you'll find if you put some thought and time behind it, the 'pocket switch' has benefits.

you mean that you make them examine the deck, then pocket switch it and do another effect? i do not think that this would work because if you make them examine the deck you will bring a lot of attention on it, so it won't be easy to sneak it in your pocket without them noticing.

but if you mean that you make them "casually" handle the cards, for example asking them to cut the cards, then they will think the deck is ordinary, and without burning your hands. in this situation it can work (and it does work)

what i meant is: the pocket switch is not THE answer. for example, if you do a mental photography routine, when you end it you might want them to see the deck is now printed on both sides. placing it in your pocket won't work. or you might want them to shuffle the deck and then switch it for a stacked or memorized deck. again, it can work if there is time between the shuffle and the gimmicked effect, but then the impact of the "shuffled deck" will fade.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:55 am 
born to perform.

In fact the only thing I use a deck switch for is for switching a shuffled deck with a stacked deck. I use the tamariz stack and spread the cards and say "now you shuffled the deck, didn't you? They're all mixed up" then go on to my next thing (thus unfading the impact of the shuffled deck). I will admit that the switch is totally situational due to the heavy misdirection I use, I doubt my spectators even notice my hand going to my pocket, but I don't think that the switch should be shrugged aside. I do not claim it to be the 'be all, end all' but I believe it to be solid and practical.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:22 pm 
born to perform.

nanowarrior wrote:
Popchris wrote:

Well, Gregory Wilson seems to be able to get away with it... quite a few times actually. On his Card Stunts DVD he goes through quite a few pocket switches, and it's all during the same card set.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:39 pm 
Emperor Penguin

salmononius2 wrote:
Well, Gregory Wilson seems to be able to get away with it... quite a few times actually. On his Card Stunts DVD he goes through quite a few pocket switches, and it's all during the same card set.

Gregory Wilson could sneak an elephant into the room with his misdirection.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:55 pm 
born to perform.

adjones wrote:
salmononius2 wrote:

Gregory Wilson could sneak an elephant into the room with his misdirection.

And he probably has....