View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: My Performance With Twisted Sisters, Could it Be Better?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:55 am 
Penguin

Here is the deal. I perform Twisted Sisters by bringing out two decks of cards still in their package. I have four cards (in each of the four cards I have the queen card with proper set up for the trick) that are located just above the package lip where it opens. Now the cards that are not queens are simply number cards (such as two of diamonds for example) that are of the opposite color of the queen in that packet of cards (yes, I use the elmsley count while bringing out the packet of cards in each deck). So, the kicker to the trick ends with me showing the number cards at the end of the trick after I have revealed the spectators thought of queens. I generally say, "I am glad that you thought of those queens, because if you didn't, this would not have worked, because those were the only queens in each packet. Good thing you thought of those queens." As I reveal the number cards that are of the opposite color of each queen in each packet (it adds to the effect that a magical transposition took place in my opinion without the use of gimmicked or trick cards or that this could be a packet trick of some kind).

Some of have suggested it is much stronger if you use blank cards. However, the reason I bring out the decks and use the number cards is to suggest in subtle ways that these are not gimmicked cards I am using. If I were to use blank cards to make this effect stronger, I think I would be suggesting that I am using some kind of unconventional cards and thus the possibility of me using trick cards is being suggested in subtle ways by using blank cards in an effort to make the effect stronger. Agree or disagree? Discuss.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:12 pm 

I'm telling you, I've never been called when using blanks or jokers. I take them right out of the package. No one will notice that they're gaffed. I've even had people pick up that gaffs, look right at them, and then ask me how I did it. I don't recommend trying it, because nerves will give away that something's up, but remember, people don't know about our gaffs. They really don't. In the 5 years that I've been using and selling the trick in a local shop, I've never been called on the gaffs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:46 pm 
Penguin

Yup, I have had people look right at my gaffs and never notice the fact that they were gaffs and were still asking me how I did it too ha ha ha ha!

Edit: I have plenty of blank bicycle cards. I might go ahead and do Twisted Sisters with blank cards just to see what kind of reaction I get and to see if I actually get busted. If I do decide to do this approach, hopefully I won't get busted.

Edit2: It's a tough decision, because in my opinion, pyschologically when people see blank bicycle cards, they are going to think "Whaa? I didn't know bicycle made blank cards like that! And if they make blank cards like that, then they could more than likely make trick cards!" I have had good reactions with Twisted Sisters just using regular numbered cards (example being two of diamonds) which were of the opposite color of the queens within that packet. The idea being to subtly communicate that some kind of magical transpition took place, just using regular non trick cards. The backs of the queens of course would be opposite color of the rest of the backs in the pack as well, but the numbered cards would also be opposite color of the queen within that pack.

Yet, if you use blank cards and nobody challenges the idea that you somehow used trick cards, then of course, it is a very strong effect, yet it can be risky too, whereas some spectators who know of the existance of trick cards when they see blank cards, might decide to challenge you or immediately pick up the queens to examine them. It's risky, yet if you are not challenged it is a much stronger effect. Pros and cons to both approaches in my opinion.

Personally, I think it's probably best to stick with my original approach, but I might try the blank cards a few times, just to see how well it goes and to see if I ever get busted. You never know until you at least push the envelope. Yet taking calculated risks in my opinion is best. Whenever you use gaff cards, you are taking a risk, so you want to use them in a way in which the risk is in your favor and not the spectators. You want to use gaffs in a way where they won't suspect gaffs are in play, even if the spectator is aware of trick gaff cards. Performing in a trick shop is one thing, but in the real world outside the trick shop it can be a bit different in my opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:00 pm 
born to perform.

Well, If you try using Blank Facers, you could always incorporate some patter based upon "factory errors". Start by saying you were convinced that the factory had made your cards incorrectly, (the queens change places) and all other cards are shown to be Blank Facers for the final reveal. End by saying, "See! I knew these cards were made wrong!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:24 pm 
Penguin

I use blank cards when I perform the twisted sisters routine. I feel it definitely ends much more dramatically with blanks. To add an additional punch to the routine, I use the switch-a-roo in my coat pocket to switch the queens with two more blank cards to end the routine with all the cards being blank. This prevents any accidental revelation of the queens and also adds an additional little trick for the spectators to wonder over.

I feel unless you are pulling the cards out of brand new sealed unopened boxes, then the spectator can always be left to think that the cards are gimmicked in someway. So you might as well then just go with the most dramatic effect possible. Sometimes when a spectator is so amazed by a trick, then their minds begin to go crazy and come up with all kinds of wild possibilities that are no where close to the truth!