View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Your ideas for "Magic" gestures
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:11 am 
Penguin

Alright, so the dirty work is done, the cards in the spectators hands, what do you do to create a "magic" moment? Just a snap? A quick riffle? Knock the deck once with your fist? Any and all ideas welcome, I'm just trying to look for something new.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:14 pm 
Penguin

a magic gesture... is something that can change from effect to effect...

if you think that you have real powers... what magic gesture would you need then!?

lets say that you are making something move on the table... maybe you want people to think its static electricity ( then you can rub your hands over the object) or maybe you actually are moving it with your mind... you really need to know what power you have... before you decide what magic gesture you want to have!

-Kalle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:19 pm 
Penguin

kallx wrote:

if you think that you have real powers... what magic gesture would you need then!?

lets say that you are making something move on the table... maybe you want people to think its static electricity ( then you can rub your hands over the object) or maybe you actually are moving it with your mind... you really need to know what power you have... before you decide what magic gesture you want to have!

-Kalle

Real powers? What are you talking about? I am just saying that you perform the trick, do all the moves you need to, they are none the wiser, how would you "pretend" to do the magic. A wave over the cards? A Riffle? A tap? Im just looking for interesting moves like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:48 pm 
born to perform.

eldeeder wrote:
kallx wrote:

-Kalle

Real powers? What are you talking about? I am just saying that you perform the trick, do all the moves you need to, they are none the wiser, how would you "pretend" to do the magic. A wave over the cards? A Riffle? A tap? Im just looking for interesting moves like that.

this is a unique topic to discuss, but i'm not sure that it makes a HUGE difference of what type of gesture you perform to "make the magic happen". i usually snap for the first few phases of the ambitious card to get the card to the top, then after awhile the snap sort of fades and i start to forget to do it. it creates more of a picture that you dont even have to do anything but the card still, is on top of the deck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:24 pm 
Penguin

eldeeder wrote:
kallx wrote:

-Kalle

for some reason i remember posting on this thread...but apparently i didnt.

he's saying that the "magical gestures" will depend on what your patter is.
you would wave your hand over the card if you tell your audience "i'll use the energy in the room to do (insert whatever you're doing)...", you would riffle the cards and say "my sleight of hand is so fast, you'll only see a riffle..." make sense?
i dont know of any interesting moves you could do but just watch professional performers and see what works for them. and then see what works for you.

Post subject: Re: Your ideas for "Magic" gestures
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:52 pm 
Penguin

I get what you're saying. I think there has to be a moment when the magic happens. And that's signified by a ripple or a tap or something.

One I like is "I cast a shadow over the deck."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:31 am 
born to perform.

If you do magic with girls and there is a nice looking one, get her to kiss/blow/do something to reveal it herself.

Such as with spongeballs. Watch SPONGE and you'll see what I mean.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:13 am 
Penguin

Usually I just one-handed fan over the cards and give it a quick wave then close the fan up. Leaves that tiny bit of doubt in my spec's mind that perhaps "something" has happened and that it wasn't too perfect. Oz mentions it a couple of times in some instructional videos. That, or I don't do anything and let the spectator make the first move to check their hand/look in their pocket/etc etc... I've gotten good reactions with both methods, but it's all in the moment, what would work best in that spot, what will get the biggest response.

....... (Just don't wiggle your fingers and make an "Oooooh"ing sound, that's just plain wrong. :D )

~Burkey

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:35 am 
born to perform.

I personally like snapping my fingers on my left hand. I find that it's pretty versatile and it works well with almost any trick.

But I can see what is being said about using the context of the effect to choose what you do.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:07 am 
born to perform.

I recently bastardized my old ACR, added a few flourishy cuts and turned it into a gambling demonstration. So there is no magical gestures just card productions. I go Hot Stones, Hot Shot, Fluke, One Handed Popover, and Hand to Mouth. In fact I will generally prefer a production over a gesture regardless of the trick.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:07 am 
born to perform.

I'm a finger snapper, myself.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:40 am 
born to perform.

Can't believe none of you mentioned Slydini. Check him out on youtube. His whole body conveys magical gesture. And the way he moves his hands and sways his arms. Beautiful!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:08 am 
Penguin

You could ask the spectator to hold up her magical finger and wave in a suggestive and PG manner.
Yes, Sankey line I believe.