View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: faro shuffle
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:30 pm 
Penguin

i can do a basic faro shuffle but how to you do a perfect 26 26 faro. please help

and also is it true that 8 perfect faros puts the deck in the same order is started.

thanks

Post subject: Re: faro shuffle
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:12 pm 

Yes and No. 8 OUT Faros will reset the deck. 8 IN Faros will leave you 44 shuffles from a reset deck. Out Faros leave the top and bottom card in the same spot. In Faros bury those cards. As for the cut, you just have to practice. Your problem is fairly easy to solve though, stop trying to cut 26 cards. Instead, work on cutting the pack in half. Yeah, it sounds like the same thing, but it's not. Break the pack where the middle looks like it should be and then go into the Faro. If the shuffle is perfect, but there are cards off, you need to unweave the cards and make the adjustment. With a little work, you'll be cutting ANY packet perfectly in half every time. For more work on the Faro, look into Michael Close's CD on the move, the Alex Elmsley books and DVDs, or my personal favorite, Paul Gertner's Unshuffled.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:13 pm 

By the way, I learned how to do it by working on it for literally 8 hours straight. I still practice the move all the time. It's a skill that you have to work at to keep it down. Work on your pressure around the edges until it just happens. Eventually, it'll just click.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:49 pm 
born to perform.

Yes 8 Faros do the trick. There's a section about this in Expert Card Technique. As for the 26/26 split, every time I try a faro I attempt to eyeball the cut. After butting the packets together, if I'm too far off I just put the deck back together and try again. Trying this every single time, I'm up to an even cut about half the time. Still working....

Sean

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:55 pm 
Penguin

As Ex said, work on splitting half the pack. Your eye can be pretty decent at spotting when you're one card too high or low after a while.

If you're really interested in the faro shuffle, get a hold of Alex Elmsleys 2nd book in his collected works. Elmsley was one of the really early "pioneers' of the shuffle, and has information on stuff like, how to correct Faro mis cuts (I hate seeing people miss and then dropping a few cards or picking some up, it looks silly) For example if you cut one card too low, complete the shuffle and then a brief overhand shuffle sequence that he describes will get it back to exactly how it should be. Very handy stuff. Also you might be interested in some of his work on Faro Binary Trans-locations. It's basically a way of converting any position in the pack into binary and then subsequently turning the 1s and 0s of binary code into Ins and Outs of the faro. You can use the sequence to control a card from anywhere in the deck to the top with a couple of faros. It's a very fair procedure and quite genius.

P.S If you manage to get a hold of the book, there is a chapter with KILLER faro tricks in it. Real mind blowing stuff. The best part is that it's not all complete faro work, some of it is incomplete faro's, e.g the cards aren't perfectly cut or faro'd, just portions of the deck are weaved

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:16 pm 
Penguin

I learned the faro shuffle from H.Lorayne's book "Closeup Card Magic". There have been good sources listed for more reference but one that comes to mind is Ed Marlo's work on the Faro Shuffle found in "Revolutionary Card Technique". If you can afford the price this tome should be in your library and studied IMHO.

Not for the beginner, this book will levitate your knowledge more than a couple levels and indeed open your mind as to how prolific Ed Marlo was to the area of card SOH. Marlo was envied, despised, but well respected as one of the last century's most influential cardmen and shared status with such notables as Vernon, Cervon, Jennings, Miller, Elmsley, etc. Definitely one of a kind, not to be duplicated for some time...

Best regards
Olmagi52. :) :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:02 pm 
born to perform.

Olmagi52 wrote:
I learned the faro shuffle from H.Lorayne's book "Closeup Card Magic". There have been good sources listed for more reference but one that comes to mind is Ed Marlo's work on the Faro Shuffle found in "Revolutionary Card Technique". If you can afford the price this tome should be in your library and studied IMHO.

Not for the beginner, this book will levitate your knowledge more than a couple levels and indeed open your mind as to how prolific Ed Marlo was to the area of card SOH. Marlo was envied, despised, but well respected as one of the last century's most influential cardmen and shared status with such notables as Vernon, Cervon, Jennings, Miller, Elmsley, etc. Definitely one of a kind, not to be duplicated for some time...

Best regards
Olmagi52. :) :wink:

This.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:25 am 
Penguin

I have heard that the Faro shuffle section of Expert Card Technique is wrong and that some people believe this was done on purpose. Anyone else heard of that?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:28 pm 
born to perform.

"A friend of mine picked up a deck of cards and said he was going to show me a faro trick. I took out a gun and shot him."
Charlie Miller

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:07 pm 

The problem with the Faro, which Miller shared here, is that it's rare the people can do the Faro without it looking like something weird is going on. My favorite trick that relies on the Faro is Unshuffled, because even though it needs a perfect shuffle and looks like a weird thing is going on, it's totally motivated.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:13 pm 
Penguin

Here's the thing for me Ex, I actually do quite a few Faro effects in my set and just use a faro as a "regular shuffle" and as much as I think Unshuffled is a cool effect, performing it would just ruin the illusion that a Faro is just a regular shuffle for me. Do you do any other effects with a Faro?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:52 pm 

Not many. I've messed with some Darwin Ortiz stuff and my Collector's routine uses it, but that's about it.