View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Card control
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:32 am 
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 03 Apr 2009
Posts: 1
Where can I go to learn better control of the card deck? Books , videos, etc? Any help is greatly appreciated as I am a Beginners, Beginner, Thank you.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 3:35 am 
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 27 Apr 2008
Posts: 96
ezrider wrote:
Where can I go to learn better control of the card deck? Books , videos, etc? Any help is greatly appreciated as I am a Beginners, Beginner, Thank you.

Lots of methods exist to control cards. Thousands. Ranging from easy, self working methods, to advanced stealth, sleight of hand techniques, and many in between. You can learn the best methods from numerous sources, Books and DVD's. I learnt my first Sleight of Hand from "Card College" Volume One. by Roberto Giobbi, but there are lots of great things to check out. Just delve into whatever you can find, practice exhaustavely, don't fear failure, and don't neglect the simplest methods once you learn more advanced ones. Good Luck.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: For them to loose.... read this!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:13 pm 
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 29 Nov 2009
Posts: 16
I would also recommend Royal Road to Card Magic.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Card control
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:53 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 20 Apr 2008
Posts: 1335
Location: Penguin's Most Feared Intellect
Depends on whether you want to control say a selected card(s) or you are talking about gambling moves. Either way I'd say start with Card College or Royal Road but where you go from there depends on what you want to do. good luck and kudos for saying your a beginer. A typical post is something along the lines of "I want a control cards"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Card control
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:01 am 
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 26 May 2004
Posts: 1691
Good old double under cut!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Card control
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:48 am 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 28 May 2007
Posts: 2753
Spiritkrusher wrote:
Good old double under cut!

Which will be taught in Royal Road and card college


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Card control
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:17 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 29 Jun 2006
Posts: 1305
For card control, you could always consider this: :)

Image

Sean


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Card control
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:15 am 
User avatar
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 06 Jun 2006
Posts: 206
Location: Hurricane Alley USA
eostresh wrote:
Spiritkrusher wrote:
Good old double under cut!

Which will be taught in Royal Road and card college

I have never seen a Double Undercut described in RRTCM but it is in Card College Volume 1, chapter 6.

People should own and read RRTCM before posting misleading information to those who are begining in card magic. The best resource IMHO is Card College...it is more up to date and definitely more relevant for today's learning.
Best regardz,
Olmagi52 :D :wink: 8)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Card control
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:23 am 
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 27 Mar 2009
Posts: 477
Location: Beeswax, Not Yours Inc.
Olmagi52 wrote:
People should own and read RRTCM before posting misleading information to those who are begining in card magic. The best resource IMHO is Card College...it is more up to date and definitely more relevant for today's learning.
Best regardz,
Olmagi52 :D :wink: 8)


yes but one volume of card college costs 3 times as much as RRTCM by itself...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Card control
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:31 am 
User avatar
Offline
Moderator

Joined: 21 Feb 2003
Posts: 14016
Location: Las Vegas, NV/Albuquerque, NM/Pensacola, FL
The Double Undercut wasn't really known when Royal Road was written. Royal Road was only written to sell more copies of Expert Card Technique and was still in a time where people didn't consider the Pass the most difficult move in card magic, so they used that.

Card College is much more expensive, but the clarity of the writing almost makes it worth it. For $11 or so, you really can't beat Royal Road.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Card control
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:45 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 28 May 2007
Posts: 2753
Olmagi52 wrote:
eostresh wrote:
Spiritkrusher wrote:
Good old double under cut!

Which will be taught in Royal Road and card college

I have never seen a Double Undercut described in RRTCM but it is in Card College Volume 1, chapter 6.

People should own and read RRTCM before posting misleading information to those who are begining in card magic. The best resource IMHO is Card College...it is more up to date and definitely more relevant for today's learning.
Best regardz,
Olmagi52 :D :wink: 8)


Pardon me. I believe I learned it in R.Paul Wilson's video series and made a poor assumption.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Card control
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:39 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Moderator

Joined: 21 Feb 2003
Posts: 14016
Location: Las Vegas, NV/Albuquerque, NM/Pensacola, FL
That doesn't shock me. Paul added a few things that probably would have been included if the book had come out later. The Double Undercut is a great control when done right. The timing is key on the move. You can't just have the card returned and immediately go into it. It needs a pause. My personal favorite is the Double Undercut to the Table. If I'm working near a table, that's the control I use.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Card control
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:24 am 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 27 Dec 2005
Posts: 2333
Location: turlock california
jeffwehner wrote:
Olmagi52 wrote:
People should own and read RRTCM before posting misleading information to those who are begining in card magic. The best resource IMHO is Card College...it is more up to date and definitely more relevant for today's learning.
Best regardz,
Olmagi52 :D :wink: 8)


yes but one volume of card college costs 3 times as much as RRTCM by itself...

You obviously haven't read card college.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Card control
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:03 pm 
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 27 Mar 2009
Posts: 477
Location: Beeswax, Not Yours Inc.
acebrawler73 wrote:
jeffwehner wrote:
Olmagi52 wrote:
People should own and read RRTCM before posting misleading information to those who are begining in card magic. The best resource IMHO is Card College...it is more up to date and definitely more relevant for today's learning.
Best regardz,
Olmagi52 :D :wink: 8)


yes but one volume of card college costs 3 times as much as RRTCM by itself...

You obviously haven't read card college.


i have actually but nice job making an a$$ out of u and me (assuming, in case that goes by anyone).

i agree that card college is the best resource but some people can't afford to put all that money into magic if it's only a hobby.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Card control
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:09 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 28 May 2007
Posts: 2753
Sounds like we are starting to get off topic here. The topic here is where can I learn card control, not who is the more well read magician. I think we can all agree that every beginner should at least attempt to work through S.W. Erdnase. It was written over a hundred years ago and the illustrations are not the best but a good chunk of what you will find in any beginner's resource is merely an attempt to explain Erdnase in more modern vernacular with perhaps better illustrations. The book went into the public domain a few years back and if you do a google search for "S.W. Erdnase, Expert at the Card Table" you should be able to find a free download. From there you can get a good idea of what card control and manipulation is all about and start cherry picking other books and DVDs that you think will help you on your journey. There are many options to choose from once you get past Erdnase, RRTCM, Card College, Born to Perform, Darryl's Encyclopedia of Card Sleight, Etc, Etc but the one thing that every single one of the great card men of 20th century had in common. Vernon, Marlo, Miller, Hugard & Braue, Giobbi, Tamariz...they ALL studied their Erdnase. What do you have to lose? It's FREE :D


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2009 Penguin Magic, Inc.