View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Homemade Gaffs
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:22 am 
born to perform.

There was a thread about a week ago on what adhesive you use when making gaffs but I want to know what gaffs you have made. So far I've made two double backers (one for a Richard Sanders trick) and a blank face card. I'm gunna mess around with making some designs in photoshop and printing them on to cards... I'll letcha know how that goes

Post subject: Re: Homemade Gaffs
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:23 pm 
born to perform.

I once tried to make a gaff that was a torn corner of a card printed onto another card. Scan piece, tape card to paper, chk chk, piece printed on card! Unfortunately, even after about a half an hour of drying, the ink was still wet and it smeared. Oh well...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:01 am 
born to perform.

The only gaffs I've made recently were replacements for my ruined store-bought "Aces in Their Faces" and Twisted Sisters cards. (Hint to all you kids out there: Take all card wallets OUT of your pants pockets before sending said pants through the washing machine!! :lol:)

No special adhesive, just glue stick. But a LOT of trial and error with the card splitting.

Sean

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:48 am 
born to perform.

Impossible to homemake gaff cards (printing ink wise)

Sure you can split cards, but you cant make anything like those Ultragaff? decks or gaff card decks with all the werid looking cards from a printer. Ink will always smear and rub off. Impossible to keep the ink on

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:18 pm 
born to perform.

orcishorde wrote:

Sure you can split cards, but you cant make anything like those Ultragaff? decks or gaff card decks with all the werid looking cards from a printer. Ink will always smear and rub off. Impossible to keep the ink on

I actually read that if you use an eraser and sand paper you can actually take off the air flow finish and print on it. I saw some kid who did that and they looked pretty good

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:59 pm 
born to perform.

orcishorde wrote:

Depends on what you are doing. You can recreate any passive gaff with card splitting and a little care. You are probably right about active gaffs but I find those cards less powerful. The only effect using an active gaff that really hits the spectator between the eyes (IMHO) is Twilight Angels. That's because Paul Harris realized that the best way to sell the effect, the best way to make the spectator truly believe magic just happened, is to have the card signed and given away.

I hesitate to give the OP a specific list of cards I have gaffed since it might inadvertently tip the method for some of my favorite effects. I certainly make double backers for every deck I own that doesn't have one commercially available.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:32 pm 
born to perform.

eostresh wrote:
orcishorde wrote:

Depends on what you are doing. You can recreate any passive gaff with card splitting and a little care. You are probably right about active gaffs but I find those cards less powerful. The only effect using an active gaff that really hits the spectator between the eyes (IMHO) is Twilight Angels. That's because Paul Harris realized that the best way to sell the effect, the best way to make the spectator truly believe magic just happened, is to have the card signed and given away.

I hesitate to give the OP a specific list of cards I have gaffed since it might inadvertently tip the method for some of my favorite effects. I certainly make double backers for every deck I own that doesn't have one commercially available.

I'm starting to make a lot of double backers. btw my comment on printing on cards... I plan to print my business card on a blank bicycle card to make it a bit more unique.

eostresh - do you like Twilight Angels? I'm planning on buying that for the Born to Perform Video promotion

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:14 am 
born to perform.

Zenn_Darkfire wrote:

eostresh - do you like Twilight Angels? I'm planning on buying that for the Born to Perform Video promotion

It's pretty fantastic. I just got it a month ago so by the time I practiced it and put it in a routine I have only had a chance to perform it twice. Both times the spectators were stunned. Lots of potential with this one.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:28 am 
born to perform.

eostresh wrote:
Zenn_Darkfire wrote:

It's pretty fantastic. I just got it a month ago so by the time I practiced it and put it in a routine I have only had a chance to perform it twice. Both times the spectators were stunned. Lots of potential with this one.

Sweet, thanks! Have you seen Wayne Houchin perform this (its on YouTube) thats actually where I saw it for the first time

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:11 pm 
Penguin

hey Zenn, just wondering did u get the printing on the blank cards working? Was wondering did you have to remove the air flow finish? Or would I not have to remove it if i print it with a lazer jet printer? I just want to make my own jokers using blank face bicycle cards is all.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:06 pm 
Penguin

FYI. I picked up "Gaff Factory" from Lybrary.com. Pretty interesting. That site also sells "blank" card sheets and a coating to seal the printing... I haven't tried it yet, but it's on my list.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:20 pm 
born to perform.

Yano wrote:
hey Zenn, just wondering did u get the printing on the blank cards working? Was wondering did you have to remove the air flow finish? Or would I not have to remove it if i print it with a lazer jet printer? I just want to make my own jokers using blank face bicycle cards is all.

I haven't done it yet but if you PM I'll post the site where it talks about taking off the airflow finish