View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: The Paper Engine: Junto Session
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 7:25 pm 
born to perform.

Anyone get a chance to catch this? What were your thoughts?

I have one discussion topic I'm interested in. Fisher is kind of becoming somewhat of a modern day Zenn Master of cards. He talks a lot about keeping things simple, focusing on audience interaction and at the same time misdirection, and performing effects with as few moves as possible. I definitely see the value of trimming down your routines and the sleights you use, Especially if your a pro. I personally pair down most of my effects and routines when doing "formal" performances but I love the hard stuff. 90% of the stuff I perform in a casual setting is "move heavy" and difficult stuff to master. I figure I'll never be of a mind to sit down and simplify my card effects in the way Fisher describes because...I don't want to. Working on complicated stuff is what keeps me interested. A good example is the clip shift. I just started working on that a while back, not because I needed it, I have about six different ways do do the same stuff, but because it had a reputation for being a hard sleight. That is the one and only reason I wanted to learn it.

So my big question is two fold. 1st where do you sit on this question? Do you focus on keeping stuff simple and direct or do you like things a bit more complicated(ie. your a move monkey)? 2nd are you an amateur, pro, or semi-pro? I'm curious if the needs of your situation dictate your approach to the first question. I suspect that the other amateurs, like me, are free to explore and play around with the "knuckle-busters" a bit more whereas professionals need their magic to be simple direct and use bulletproof sleight construction and therefore will take Fisher's comments more to heart.