View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: The S.W.E. Shift
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:45 pm 
born to perform.

Okay so it took me a long time but I finally got the basics of this move down(Never could decipher Big Es directions so I had to get a video download :oops: ) Anyways, as I have been playing around with it I have been watching the You-tubers videos(some good, some BAD!) Obviously because I'm searching "S,W.E. shift" most of what I see is just demos of the move but it seems as if many people use it as a "change" but I rarely see it demoed as a "shift." So here is my question to those of you who use, or are at least practicing to use, the S.W.E. Shift...

Do you use this move as a shift or a change or both?

Question 2: Does anyone have or know of a you-tube/vimeo performance of a routine that used the S.W.E. Shift as a shift?

Post subject: Re: The S.W.E. Shift
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:21 pm 
born to perform.

eostresh wrote:
Okay so it took me a long time but I finally got the basics of this move down(Never could decipher Big Es directions so I had to get a video download :oops: ) Anyways, as I have been playing around with it I have been watching the You-tubers videos(some good, some BAD!) Obviously because I'm searching "S,W.E. shift" most of what I see is just demos of the move but it seems as if many people use it as a "change" but I rarely see it demoed as a "shift." So here is my question to those of you who use, or are at least practicing to use, the S.W.E. Shift...

Do you use this move as a shift or a change or both?

Question 2: Does anyone have or know of a you-tube/vimeo performance of a routine that used the S.W.E. Shift as a shift?

The chris kenner video on t11 was of him using it as both.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:28 pm 
born to perform.

I toyed with the move for a good long while... I don't use it at all in performance, it was more or less an academic exercise for me. I've never used it as a change, and I don't see why anyone would - there's far too much open movement for it to look natural imho. There are changes that look much better with far less work. My favorite application is to use it as a false cut (Vernon also describes this in Revelations) - as soon as the bottom packet clears and you have a good grip on it, move the formerly bottom packet forward and cut it to the table, and then "complete" the cut. I like to drag the deck (holding a break) to the edge of the table to provide additional cover as I do the shift to effect a false cut.

I don't really youtube magic all that much, so I wouldn't know. Chris Kenner has a routine in Gary Oullette's book on the pass and in Out of Control that uses the move, can't recall the name at the moment, I believe I've seen it on youtube once or twice...

btw, if you're ever in Toronto, find a man by the name of Shane Cobalt and you'll witness the most beautiful SWE shift known to man... Chris Kenner was stunned and invited Shane to his house after he saw it...

Cheers
Ted

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:27 am 
born to perform.

I believe I misspoke in reference to a "change." I have seen it often used as a "rising card change" in ACR type stuff. Card is placed face up in the center of the deck and in an instant it is on the top. Most of the YouTube demos I have seen use it like this and I believe I have seen some footage of Jamie Ian Swiss using it as such.

Actually I had forgotten Chris Kenner mentioning the tabled false cut on his download. That is likely it's most practical application I have seen. Like you my biggest interest in the move is academic. Doubt I'll be in Toronto any time soon but it would be nice to see your friends handling of it. Thanks for the input.

mchkeegan wrote:
The chris kenner video on t11 was of him using it as both.

Kenner gives a tip on how to speed it up and mentions using it as a false cut but really doesn't discuss applications other than that. He mostly just teaches the move.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:10 pm 

Take everything Ted said and apply it to me, because I feel exactly the same way.

Except the Toronto part. I've got nothing on that.