View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Any good how tos for the Elmsley Count?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:55 pm 
Penguin

I'm new to magic and I'm trying to get the elmsley count down pat and it seems at times I get it looking really good but for the most part it just kind of looks choppy. I was wondering if there's any good tutorials (video, picture, or reading) on how to do this properly. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Any good how tos for the Elmsley Count?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:34 am 
born to perform.

I know of nothing specific. Most video demonstrations I have of the move are teaching other effects that use the Elmsley count and they teach it as a part of the larger effect. I'm sure there are many different sources that demo the move in that way.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:09 am 

John Bannon's Spin Doctor is a great packet trick that uses the Elmsley. He teaches it in great detail.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:53 am 
Penguin

I learned it by carrying the cards around all day and every time my hands were not otherwise in use I would get the cards and practice. It took me a couple of months to get it perfect. In that time I went through a lot of cards because after that much use I was wearing the color off the backs. I used the advertisment and other random cards that are always in the deck to practice since they are not good for anything else.

So Practice, Practice, Practice.....

Twist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:25 pm 
Penguin

Michael Ammar's Easy to Master Card Miracles which teaches Twisting the Aces covers the Elmsley Count.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:43 pm 
Penguin

I posted a video, can you offer some suggestions, I know it's not GREAT or perhaps even "good" I have a bit to go, but this is where I am at currently, I seem to have a problem when passing off the first card to the bottom, it seems to go to far, are there any ways to control that better?

http://vimeo.com/13083710

password is magic

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:54 pm 
born to perform.

If it is a 5 card Elmsley you might check out Josh Jay's "elevator" download. I'm not going to say he covers the move particularly well but he does use a 5 card Elmsley and you might get some insight from it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:10 pm 
Penguin

eostresh wrote:
If it is a 5 card Elmsley you might check out Josh Jay's "elevator" download. I'm not going to say he covers the move particularly well but he does use a 5 card Elmsley and you might get some insight from it.

Yeah, he briefly goes over it, but not enough to explain it better. I seem to just have trouble controlling it when I go under it usually goes to far, at least from watching the video I posted.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:17 pm 
born to perform.

minusthebear1979 wrote:
eostresh wrote:

Yeah, he briefly goes over it, but not enough to explain it better. I seem to just have trouble controlling it when I go under it usually goes to far, at least from watching the video I posted.

Ahhh...didn't realize that is where you learned the Elmsley. Honestly I got it when I was first starting out and I got lost on it too. I recommend checking some of the previous mentioned sources on the Elmsley count(twisting the aces, or spin doctor) learning those effects first using the standard Elmsley and then comming back th JJ's Elevator. It might not be the advice you are after but I think it is best to get good with a standard Elmsley first.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:41 pm 
Penguin

eostresh wrote:
minusthebear1979 wrote:
eostresh wrote:

Ahhh...didn't realize that is where you learned the Elmsley. Honestly I got it when I was first starting out and I got lost on it too. I recommend checking some of the previous mentioned sources on the Elmsley count(twisting the aces, or spin doctor) learning those effects first using the standard Elmsley and then comming back th JJ's Elevator. It might not be the advice you are after but I think it is best to get good with a standard Elmsley first.

Yeah, I was thinking of doing that. The Elevator just seemed a good impromptu so I wanted to learn it, and it's worked on my family with how horribly I currently do the elmsley, but it's not sufficient enough for me as I still see blatant flaws. Which do you think would explain it in greater detail?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:20 am 
born to perform.

It is a great trick but I found it a bit more of an intermediate trick...something you can come back to. You will have to wait for Ex to get back to you on the suggestion. I only have twisting the aces. It sounded as if he would recommend Spin Doctor if nothing else for the instruction on the Elmsley. (especially if your ultimate goal is Elevation) Not wanting to put words in his mouth I'll wait for him to respond.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:21 pm 
born to perform.

OK, I watched the video. You need to correct a couple things. First, your mechanics grip (aka Dealer's Grip) is all over the place. It is your biggest problem at this point. Fix it before you do another trick! Get the packet settled into a good mechanics grip with the left index finger on the outer edge and the other left fingers along the right edge of the packet. The thumb should be resting comfortably on the packet. Stop and enjoy the beauty of the mechanics grip. Drink it in. This doesn't need to be a death grip, just a stable and comfortable grip before you start the count.

Second problem. You are pivoting the top card incorrectly. In fact, you're not really pivoting the card. I would say that you are "sliding it out of the way" which is bad technique...and sliding it way too far. For the Dealers Grip-style Elmsley Count you need to pivot the top card up just enough to get a clean grip with your right thumb, index and middle finger. With your left thumb pivot the top card about 1 cm upward and to the left. At this point, the three cards underneath should still be aligned as a three card packet. If not, go back to step 1 and practice the grip and pivot before you go any further.

Third issue. You are grabbing the packet too low. When you pivot, it exposes the outer, right corner of the three card packet. Take that exposed corner.

Fourth issue. You're manhandling the cards. A good Elmsley Count can be executed slowly and the spectator will see nothing. Slow it way down for now. Speed will come as you get better. It should be a casual display of the cards not a karate chop of each card.

Watch this routine I created that does a bunch of Elmsley Counts. Notice the pivot and where I grip the underlying packet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYYnaIALQCM

Fix the mechanical issues and the practice this count for a couple months and it will be smooth as butter. Hope that helps!

Tim W

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:21 pm 
Penguin

tbwendt wrote:
OK, I watched the video. You need to correct a couple things. First, your mechanics grip (aka Dealer's Grip) is all over the place. It is your biggest problem at this point. Fix it before you do another trick! Get the packet settled into a good mechanics grip with the left index finger on the outer edge and the other left fingers along the right edge of the packet. The thumb should be resting comfortably on the packet. Stop and enjoy the beauty of the mechanics grip. Drink it in. This doesn't need to be a death grip, just a stable and comfortable grip before you start the count.

Second problem. You are pivoting the top card incorrectly. In fact, you're not really pivoting the card. I would say that you are "sliding it out of the way" which is bad technique...and sliding it way too far. For the Dealers Grip-style Elmsley Count you need to pivot the top card up just enough to get a clean grip with your right thumb, index and middle finger. With your left thumb pivot the top card about 1 cm upward and to the left. At this point, the three cards underneath should still be aligned as a three card packet. If not, go back to step 1 and practice the grip and pivot before you go any further.

Third issue. You are grabbing the packet too low. When you pivot, it exposes the outer, right corner of the three card packet. Take that exposed corner.

Fourth issue. You're manhandling the cards. A good Elmsley Count can be executed slowly and the spectator will see nothing. Slow it way down for now. Speed will come as you get better. It should be a casual display of the cards not a karate chop of each card.

Watch this routine I created that does a bunch of Elmsley Counts. Notice the pivot and where I grip the underlying packet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYYnaIALQCM

Fix the mechanical issues and the practice this count for a couple months and it will be smooth as butter. Hope that helps!

Tim W

Yes, thank you for the advice.