View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Can't Do A DL
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:49 pm 
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 30 Jul 2010
Posts: 9
Hi, I can do some of the hardest moves in card magic, like a bottom deal, second deal, and etc. I can false and blind shuffle cards, and etc, but I cannot do a simple DL (double turnover), it's not just unnatural, but you can actually see two cards. I don't know why. Do you have to practise a lot for a DL? Maybe I underestimated it. I didn't practise so much, but I did practise, I should at least be able to do it (maybe unnaturally, but) without the other person being able to see two cards. Any ideas/tips? Double lifts are so important, I have to be able to do it, but I can't. Also, I am also practicing palming (even though this is a question about double lifts), do you have any tips for palming? Because sometimes, you are able to see the bottom corner of the card when I put the deck down (and have a card palmed in the same hand).

Thank you.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Can't Do A DL
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:11 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 04 Apr 2006
Posts: 1044
Location: Brooklyn-"Fuhgedaboudit!"
You will need a lot of practice to get a decent DL. Which technique are you using? That might help a little.

Palming- Which corner of the card is sticking out? It could just be that you have small hands. But you know the old saying, "If they're not looking for it, they won't see it".


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Can't Do A DL
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:37 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 19 Nov 2006
Posts: 2571
Take the deck with the other hand and then put it down.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Can't Do A DL
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:52 pm 
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 30 Jul 2010
Posts: 9
duds wrote:
You will need a lot of practice to get a decent DL.
That's better, I think that I was underestimating it then.
duds wrote:
Which technique are you using? That might help a little.
I use a thumb count, or however it's called to get a pinky break, and I have no problem with that, and then I do a Double Turnover. The double stays squared with the rest of the deck (not up or down to then get a pinky break). But the problem is when turning over the cards, not when they are already turned over.

duds wrote:
Palming- Which corner of the card is sticking out?
It's not sticking out, you can just sometimes see it, when putting the cards down.
duds wrote:
It could just be that you have small hands. But you know the old saying, "If they're not looking for it, they won't see it".
I do have kind of small hands, but not very small, so the corner doesn't usually stick out, but it does rarely, but that's not really the problem, the problem is that when putting down the cards, you can see the back corner.
Thank you.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Can't Do A DL
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:02 pm 
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 30 Jul 2010
Posts: 9
daniel116 wrote:
Take the deck with the other hand and then put it down.
When palming? Are we never supposed to put the deck down in the same hand as it is palmed? When I put it down with the other hand, I think that it seems a little bit unnatural, and that I am holding something in the other hand.
Thank you.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Can't Do A DL
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:42 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 04 Apr 2006
Posts: 1044
Location: Brooklyn-"Fuhgedaboudit!"
RZ9405 wrote:
duds wrote:
You will need a lot of practice to get a decent DL.
That's better, I think that I was underestimating it then.
duds wrote:
Which technique are you using? That might help a little.
I use a thumb count, or however it's called to get a pinky break, and I have no problem with that, and then I do a Double Turnover. The double stays squared with the rest of the deck (not up or down to then get a pinky break). But the problem is when turning over the cards, not when they are already turned over.

duds wrote:
Palming- Which corner of the card is sticking out?
It's not sticking out, you can just sometimes see it, when putting the cards down.
duds wrote:
It could just be that you have small hands. But you know the old saying, "If they're not looking for it, they won't see it".
I do have kind of small hands, but not very small, so the corner doesn't usually stick out, but it does rarely, but that's not really the problem, the problem is that when putting down the cards, you can see the back corner.
Thank you.

You would not believe what spectators DON'T see. Such as two cards separating by a DL. But you should really work on keeping the cards squared. When I first started, I didn't let go until both cards were completely turned over. Now I turn them over halfway and let gravity do the rest and they stay squared.

And now palming: What do you mean by "the problem is that when putting down the cards"? Why are you putting them down?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Can't Do A DL
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:09 pm 
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 30 Jul 2010
Posts: 9
duds wrote:
You would not believe what spectators DON'T see. Such as two cards separating by a DL. But you should really work on keeping the cards squared. When I first started, I didn't let go until both cards were completely turned over. Now I turn them over halfway and let gravity do the rest and they stay squared.
Thank you, now I know how you said that the there are so many things that the spectators don't see, but I always like practicing until it's perfect :P.

duds wrote:
And now palming: What do you mean by "the problem is that when putting down the cards"? Why are you putting them down?
For example, for some tricks, there are two piles of cards, you take one pile, palm a card from it, put it down, and then take the other pile, and put the palmed card on it. That's just one example.
Thank you.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Can't Do A DL
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:17 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 04 Apr 2006
Posts: 1044
Location: Brooklyn-"Fuhgedaboudit!"
After you palm the card, immediately go to the other pile. Don't attack it! Just right away, not too fast not too slow. There's also a convincer that your hands are empty. Palm the card and give them the deck and tell them to shuffle it. As you say this, your hand go through the motions of an overhand shuffle, keeping your palm towards yourself.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Can't Do A DL
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:27 pm 
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 30 Jul 2010
Posts: 9
duds wrote:
After you palm the card, immediately go to the other pile. Don't attack it! Just right away, not too fast not too slow.
But I still have the pile that the palmed card came from, how do I put it down, with the hand that has the palmed card, or with the other hand?
duds wrote:
There's also a convincer that your hands are empty. Palm the card and give them the deck and tell them to shuffle it. As you say this, your hand go through the motions of an overhand shuffle, keeping your palm towards yourself.
Thank you, but I don't really understand this part, I give the person the deck to shuffle with which hand? And how do I overhand shuffle them while giving it to them?
Thank you.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Can't Do A DL
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:28 pm 
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 30 Jul 2010
Posts: 9
duds wrote:
After you palm the card, immediately go to the other pile. Don't attack it! Just right away, not too fast not too slow.
But I still have the pile that the palmed card came from, how do I put it down, with the hand that has the palmed card, or with the other hand?
duds wrote:
There's also a convincer that your hands are empty. Palm the card and give them the deck and tell them to shuffle it. As you say this, your hand go through the motions of an overhand shuffle, keeping your palm towards yourself.
Thank you, but I don't really understand this part, I give the person the deck to shuffle with which hand? And how do I overhand shuffle them while giving it to them?
Thank you.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Can't Do A DL
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:39 pm 
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 01 Aug 2010
Posts: 2
The Answer to all your Questions is: Roberto Giobbi's Card Collage :)

MfG


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Can't Do A DL
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:58 pm 
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 30 Jul 2010
Posts: 9
tivolation wrote:
The Answer to all your Questions is: Roberto Giobbi's Card Collage :)

MfG

Yes, but instead of spending $100 for things that I already know, except for these two things, can you help me out here, through the forum. :P.
Thank you.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Can't Do A DL
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:40 am 
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 25 Jun 2008
Posts: 126
Search for "David blaine DL" on youtube. Takes a lot of practise though.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Can't Do A DL
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:41 am 
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 25 Jun 2008
Posts: 126
Search for "David blaine DL" on youtube. Takes a lot of practise though.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Can't Do A DL
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:20 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 06 Jun 2006
Posts: 206
Location: Hurricane Alley USA
Sometimes the very things that most magicians look for in a good deck of cards can cause certain sleights to become a stumbling block. For instance take a new deck of Bikes and do a DT (Double Turnover). The Air Cushion finish CAN make the cards separate slightly or even alot because of the newness of the finish.

Try the same sleight with a broken in deck and you may notice a difference. New decks can prove to be a pain in the *** for certain sleights. I make it a habit to use broken in cards.

Nothing is as important as practice. Practice is the oil for technique...without it your technique becomes rusty. Your tools make a difference too. I know of no one who will begin a long hike in brand new boots...

Keep at it. The DL is not that hard to master...to perform it effortless and with consistency is the hard part IMHO. BTW, look into the Stuart Gordon DL for great DL & turnover...good luck!

Best regardz,
Olmagi52 :D :wink: 8)


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2009 Penguin Magic, Inc.