View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: What are some good card dvd(begginer to pro)
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:20 am 
Penguin

What are some card dvd which teach u awesome sleight of hands which would really take you from begginer to pro step by step.

Im currently(an intermediate?) and know some basic like DL, double card under, etc.

Thanks for your help.

Post subject: Re: What are some good card dvd(begginer to pro)
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:21 pm 
born to perform.

Royal Road

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:35 pm 
born to perform.

Royal Road with Paul Wilson is an excellent DVD(along with the Hugard/Braue book) It should take you from beginner to intermediate. I don't know of any resource to take you from beginner to expert. That was the intent of the Card College books but there is no DVD accompaniment that I know of. Also I don't own the books to comment further.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:44 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Bang for your buck: Royal Road to Card Magic (book)

If you have lotsa money: Royal Road to Card Magic (DVD)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:41 pm 
born to perform.

Royal Road to Card Magic (book) and Card College are definitely your best bets. Royal Road is cheap, yet it is a true classic and will teach you most you need to know. Card College is more expensive, but it contains more detail and is a lot easier to read. I think both complement each other quite well. By the way, no single book or dvd will take you from beginner to "pro." Books will get you closer though.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:50 pm 
Penguin

So born to perform card magic by ozpearlman is better or royal road to card magic( the 11bucks book)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:32 am 
Emperor Penguin

MagicFTW wrote:
So born to perform card magic by ozpearlman is better or royal road to card magic( the 11bucks book)

They obviously answered that. Everything in BTP is covered in RRTCM plus more.
Get RRTCM.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:21 am 
Penguin

i am skeptical bout RRTCM. I predicted that since the book is so thick, there are some sleights which are outdated, and i not sure which to learn sleight and use which sleight. So any link which would tell me what are some important things to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:51 am 
born to perform.

MagicFTW wrote:
i am skeptical bout RRTCM. I predicted that since the book is so thick, there are some sleights which are outdated, and i not sure which to learn sleight and use which sleight. So any link which would tell me what are some important things to learn.

Outdated!?? You have to start somewhere and if you can't handle the sleights in that book you sure won't be prepared for the stuff that will come later. Plus you will be introduced to most of the card plots out there. It will serve as a good foundation for every thing else you will ever learn. Sounds like you wanted us to say Born to Perform. Well we didn't. I don't think any of us have a problem with that DVD and I know a lot of "general purpose" magicians tout it quite highly. Nevertheless, most guys who really get into cards do so by going RRTM-->Expert Card Technique-->Erdnase and/or Card College.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:38 am 
Penguin

eostresh wrote:
MagicFTW wrote:

Outdated!?? You have to start somewhere and if you can't handle the sleights in that book you sure won't be prepared for the stuff that will come later. Plus you will be introduced to most of the card plots out there. It will serve as a good foundation for every thing else you will ever learn. Sounds like you wanted us to say Born to Perform. Well we didn't. I don't think any of us have a problem with that DVD and I know a lot of "general purpose" magicians tout it quite highly. Nevertheless, most guys who really get into cards do so by going RRTM-->Expert Card Technique-->Erdnase and/or Card College.

Haha ok :D noted. I just heard that somethings from the book is outdated, maybe only the tricks? Hopefully those sleights are never outdated. Do you have know a good guide in handling the thick card book. And would card college be a better choice?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:41 pm 
born to perform.

MagicFTW wrote:
eostresh wrote:
MagicFTW wrote:

Haha ok :D noted. I just heard that somethings from the book is outdated, maybe only the tricks? Hopefully those sleights are never outdated. Do you have know a good guide in handling the thick card book. And would card college be a better choice?

The book may have been published quite a while ago, but they effects/sleights are just as applicable now as they were at the time of publication. And as far as advice for going through a card book...just go in order and make sure you really pay attention to every detail. Read, practice, reread, practice, etc.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:18 pm 

In 2010, if something is 6 months old, it's outdated. Don't let the fact that it's an old book fool you into thinking it's not relevant. I use material from the Royal Road every day. The first time one of my students asked me what material in the book they need to learn, I went to the TOC and couldn't find any section that didn't contain useful information. It's all good material. Yeah, there are new handlings for most of the tricks in the book but, with the exception of one single trick in the volume, all are perfectly viable methods that work just as well now.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:42 am 
Penguin

Ok noted :D to both. Hey can help me check out if this is a good guide? i found it in internet http://forums.singaporemagiccircle.com/ ... getnewpost

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:11 pm 
born to perform.

I'm one of those odd characters that tell beginners to go for BTPCM over RRTCM. I just prefer the style of teaching, the media (DVD instead of book), and the sequence of learning. I think you'll get a better jump start on your essential skills with far less frustration and attain more confidence early in your journey. I would also wager that you'll use the Biddle Trick and version of the ACR from BTPCM more than any routine from RRTCM. That's just my humble opinion.

But there is no reason not to buy RRTCM as well. It is dirt cheap and an important book to have on your shelf. Once you gain the skills in BTPCM you'll have a lot easier time working through RRTCM.