View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Drop shifts or Hops?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:02 am 
born to perform.

Some of you know that I am kind of new to gambling demos. I just started exploring Drop Shifts and Hops. Both techniques look really good and I will likely practice both but as an acedemic question. So, to you gambling gurus, which do you prefer and why? If no preference then what pros and cons do you see in these techniques? All stuff I will likely discover on my own but I thought I would ask the folks who have already played with these techniques. Thanks for any input.

Post subject: Re: Drop shifts or Hops?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:20 am 

I'd highly recommend a Richard Turner video named (along the lines of) Shifts, Hops, and Magical Passes. He discusses a nice variety of each technique.

Personally, I don't actually use either. I don't do a lot of gambling demos, but Dive or Drop Shifts seem to be more useful, because the action happens in a much more confined space and the move is covered by the movement itself, whereas a Hop is more finger movement happening in a larger move. I've seen people that could do each type flawlessly and invisibly, but the Drop Shift seems easier.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:34 am 
born to perform.

exodus wrote:
I'd highly recommend a Richard Turner video named (along the lines of) Shifts, Hops, and Magical Passes. He discusses a nice variety of each technique.

Personally, I don't actually use either. I don't do a lot of gambling demos, but Dive or Drop Shifts seem to be more useful, because the action happens in a much more confined space and the move is covered by the movement itself, whereas a Hop is more finger movement happening in a larger move. I've seen people that could do each type flawlessly and invisibly, but the Drop Shift seems easier.

Thanks for your thoughts on the matter. I was actually watching that video so sooner or later I'll figure it all out. Trouble is he makes both look so easy and so good! I'm in need of one or the other for a gambling routine right now so I thought I'd get some advice on which might pay off sooner. I'd like to be performing within a month....we'll see how it goes...Thanks again.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:49 am 

If the timing is good, I think the Drop Shift would be the easiest to get down and the most angle efficient.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:11 am 
born to perform.

exodus wrote:
If the timing is good, I think the Drop Shift would be the easiest to get down and the most angle efficient.

Thanks...Kind of what I was hoping to hear. The hops seem really tricky.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:06 am 
Penguin

I don't think you can get much better than Doc's Infinity pass. It's a wonder.

He described it on the cafe a while back. A bit harder to find it now that the cafe search engine is down, but google'll get you there. He had some videos on youtube too but he removed those a while back. Maybe if you ask him nicely he'll help you out.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:23 pm 
born to perform.

The Cafe's search feature is back up although one must choose one of the myriads of forums as a general search doesn't seem to be functioning. There is a nice google feature that will allow one to do a site search and it works very well; http://www.google.com/sitesearch/

For: Enter a site URL, put: themagiccafe.com
For: Query, put: infinity pass

Last edited by EZrhythm on Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:29 pm 
born to perform.

splice wrote:
I don't think you can get much better than Doc's Infinity pass. It's a wonder.

He described it on the cafe a while back. A bit harder to find it now that the cafe search engine is down, but google'll get you there. He had some videos on youtube too but he removed those a while back. Maybe if you ask him nicely he'll help you out.

Thanks for the tip....Unfortunatly I'm not a member at the Cafe' so I won't be able to beg him for a pm. It is a table shift then?