View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: How many tricks do you KNOW
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:21 pm 
Penguin

Professionals, Hobbyist, Amateurs and Dabblers my question to you is "How many card tricks do you KNOW"?
And by KNOW I mean really know. You know the in's and out's of the trick. How and when to perform it.

Post subject: Re: How many tricks do you KNOW
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:55 pm 
born to perform.

would probably be better if i knew less :P

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:39 am 
born to perform.

I couldn't count. How many do I perform? Less than 10.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:55 pm 
Penguin

This is a very difficult question for anyone to answer. I know lots using one principle (not that I would perform them) and there are many principles!

I have a question, what is red, black, a shade of blue, can be as tall as a mountain but as small as a shoe?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:23 pm 
born to perform.

Tricks ( tricks are for kids ) I always did love that rabbit.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:15 pm 
born to perform.

aces_up_41 wrote:
Tricks ( tricks are for kids ) I always did love that rabbit.

Poor rabbit he never got any tricks :(

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:42 am 
born to perform.

good point eostresh

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:27 pm 
born to perform.

"I can say I know about 8"

Sean

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:45 am 
Penguin

Back in the early 70's Michael Skinner was working the Magic Castle and wanted to see how long he could go without repeating a trick.He was on his 6th night when Milt Larson asked him to stop.Word had gotten out among the magicians and they piled in the Castle to see how long he could go.Milt said they were turning magicians away at the door because the Castle couldn't hold anymore.

Michael was know to have the biggest repertoire in magic.He told me once he could do at least 300 without thinking about it...more once he though about it.

Myself...maybe 10 and I've been active in magic for over 50 years.Than the only one that made me any money."The Svengali Pitch".The Svengali Pitch made me a living for over 30 years.I had no need to learn more after that one (smile)
Don

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:24 am 
born to perform.

In my opinion, there is little point to being eternally proficient and ready to perform hundreds of tricks unless it is to stroke one's ego at magic conventions and club meetings.

There's a famous story about David Devant. If you are not familiar with Devant, he was probably the most revered magician of his day. A young magician told Devant that he knew 200 tricks and then asked Devant how many he knew. Devant stated he only knew 8 tricks. The point that Devant was attempting to make was that its not the number of tricks you KNOW that count, but the quality of tricks you know.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:34 am 
Penguin

tbwendt wrote:
In my opinion, there is little point to being eternally proficient and ready to perform hundreds of tricks unless it is to stroke one's ego at magic conventions and club meetings.

There's a famous story about David Devant. If you are not familiar with Devant, he was probably the most revered magician of his day. A young magician told Devant that he knew 200 tricks and then asked Devant how many he knew. Devant stated he only knew 8 tricks. The point that Devant was attempting to make was that its not the number of tricks you KNOW that count, but the quality of tricks you know.

Best opinion so far.

I know quite a lot actually. From books, DVDs, forums or friends. BUT I only perform some that I'm familiar or you can say they've been built into me. My best one is the legendary ACR then finished by CTW. It is simply beautiful and you can have any patter you want.

Also, you end up clean and there is nothing to hide even if you use special wallet.

I perhaps only perform between 6 to 8, non-gimmick. Gimmicked? A LOT hahaha but I don't do them often as I sometimes feel annoyed bring the necessary gaff items. However, with UCCU, it is a great utility for card effects.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:25 am 
Penguin

Honestly thats not really a question the majority of us can answer. I think I tried counting once and "actual-full length-tricks-that-i-can-perform" was around 50ish I think.
But what is a trick? Is it each individual sleight that makes magic happen? or is it several sleights put together to make an illusion? or is it just the important sleights that make the effect worthwhile? Magic is so versatile and customizable that it is hard to keep track of what is what.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:59 pm 
born to perform.

I know a lot because I love learning new tricks, and card magic is my favorite. But I would say a solid 20 I could perform very well.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:26 pm 
Penguin

give or take seventy, but i always change something about each one every time i preform them.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:19 pm 
Penguin

I have about 10 that I draw from if provoked to perform.

There is also a reserve set of magic that I shall do if prodded at a party where everybody is really interested and things get slightly deeper. Those are my favourite, I have about 5 of those I think.

I am always suspicious of people that say they can do more than say... 30 effects.
Skinner is a freak though.