View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Card Control
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:44 pm 
Penguin

What kind of card control are you currently perfecting? For me, the perfect card control are the ones that look so natural and effortless, it looks like real wizardry! I'm currently working on a Spread Pass, or better known in this case as a Spread Cull, controlling the card to the bottom. Funny story, I was trying to film a video of how it would look if you showed a card in the spread and actually lost it, and did an overhand shuffle, actually shuffling the deck, and how it compared to an actual Spread Cull control and a controlled overhand shuffle. While they looked identical, the card somehow got on the bottom in the actual losing of the card! Lol, it occurred to me that this is how every card control should look like. As if you're ACTUALLY losing the card. I see a lot of card controls that are just too obvious as to what you're up to. In my opinion, if you have a bad card control, the whole trick is shot. As 95% of card tricks are "lose your card and find it" plots.

Post subject: Re: Card Control
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:57 pm 
Penguin

for me its the multiple shift.. getting certain number of cards that you "squared" into the deck back on top. its far better than having your spectators put the card into the deck than you needing to control it to the top and repeat if your doing an effect that uses several cards. I can do it pretty darn good but you can always be better.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:40 pm 
Penguin

I was reading the review of the new book CONFIDENCES by Roberto Giobbi in Magic magazine. It said in one chapter alone the book has 75 pages of card controls. I just ordered it. I am also looking forward to his new book on deck switches which was reviewed in this months Genii.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:18 pm 
born to perform.

When it comes down to it I simply use a double undercut or some variation of it. Also I my just cut packets of cards onto the table til I get to the break. Are they the most convincing? Kinda. Some cool controls I've been working on are The Miller Casade Control, some pass work like The Shadow Pass, Dribble Block Pass and a vary of controls and false shuffles from Simon Lovells DVD Gambling Moves with Cards. So many controls so much time.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:01 pm 
Penguin

Currently I'm touching up a mix of two card controls found in Dan and Dave's "If an Octopus Could Palm" book.

I've combined the motions of the Cephalid Palm and Buoyancy (for those of you who own the book) into one fluid motion of placing a card in the middle of a back, and the second the card is "lost" it's already in the top of the pack.

It happens in the blink of an eye and the spectator can be burning your hand. Because of the speed, a little misdirection makes it virtually angle-proof :) I'm happy with it

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:44 pm 
Penguin

SeanDevine, if you're looking for the best of the best in card control with the Spread Pass and Spread Cull consider Tom Gagnon's latest book, TOO HOT FOR THE DEVIL. Most of the book is devoted to these subjects. His other book AVANT CARDS is excellent too. Lots to work on for years and years.

You might want to pick up a copy of Arthur Buckley's CARD CONTROL also.

Ed Marlo has a specialty book titled CARD CONTROL that was said to be 50 years ahead of its time. I've got a couple of copies of the it, it's very dry reading but I just threw it out there for sake of completeness.

You can perform 90% of card magic if you learn the Pass, a Force and a DL.