View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Ricky Jay & His 52 Assistants...
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:53 pm 
Penguin

This is a once in a lifetime chance to witness one of the greatest card mechanics living today. Ricky Jay & His 52 Assistants was a HBO special that came out about 20+ years ago. Since we have a lot of young people in the Penguin discuss forums I thought I'd post a link to it. It's a one hour performance divided into four 15 minute segments, all of which can be linked to. This is a link to the first segment:

Ricky Jay & His 52 Assistants 1/4:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQmNuRZU ... Jw&index=7

His first trick is basically McDonald's Aces but performed with Queens instead. I remember when he performed this routine on Leno a few years ago. Everything went fine until the performance was over and Ricky made the mistake of setting the deck within arms reach of Leno, who promptly made a grab for them. Ricky managed to grab them back but the incident screamed 'gaffed deck'...which it is.

But despite the ultimate gaffed deck being employed it took a tremendous amount if skill to pull off what has to be one of the best demonstrations of card handling the world has ever seen.

It's still been a hotly debated issue among myself and my magic friends whether Ricky was using real cards or shim cards to penetrate that watermelon. I've been trying to do it for 20 years and have never once been successful. I was however able to draw blood from a guy I got into a card throwing war with at a party...with regular Bicycles.

Ricky Jay has written several books, the most sought after is CARDS AS WEAPONS. I've seen first editions go for hundreds of dollars on e-bay. I've got a copy (not a 1st edition) and it's not really that great...well, there is the fact that all the photographs of the techniques are performed by a totally nude woman.

If for some reason the link above doesn't work just go over to Youtube and type in the header for this post. As a card man this is something you need to watch...perhaps more than once as this special has never been released on DVD or even VHS (if someone can prove me wrong about this PLEASE send me the link, thanks!).

Last edited by swayze on Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Ricky Jay & His 52 Assistants...
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:24 am 
Penguin

No locator cards are needed for this. The ace cutting can be performed with any deck and requires a great deal of skill to accomplish. While the set up is super simple from a borrowed deck he probably has set up the deck before hand but I'd rather not discuss the actual method.

swayze wrote:
It's still been a hotly debated issue among myself and my magic friends whether Ricky was using real cards or shim cards to penetrate that watermelon. I've been trying to do it for 20 years and have never once been successful. I was however able to draw blood from a guy I got into a card throwing war with at a party...with regular Bicycles.

I think Ricky Jay held the world record for a reason, he is among the top 5 card throwers of all time and number one for a little while. He has thrown card in several live settings, under test conditions on the Discovery Channel, under test conditions he also was tested by Guinness World Records. Not being able to throw as hard or fast as him is like saying you can't run as fast as Hussein Bolt. I see no need for shims especially after seeing sliced bananas, cigarettes and carrots live.

Last edited by goatears on Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:21 am 
Penguin

Thanks Goatears, I have edited this post and removed the material you thought was inappropriate. If you still see anything else you don't think should be up there let me know and I'll take it down too. I doubt if any non-magician reading this would know what those terms meant, but it has been edited just the same.

I really like everyone here, that means YOU, too. I have a tremendous amount of knowledge in magic and I'm only here to share that knowledge with anyone who asks for it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:05 am 
Penguin

Yeah I edited my post as well. We just have to look out for each other. I'm sorry if I came off harshly, Ricky Jay is a legend. I know you are a Lennart and Dani fan like myself and I appreciate your input.