View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Help with a couple of tricks
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 2:59 pm 
born to perform.

I recently aquired for myself a copy of the royal road to card magic and have worked through the first 2 chapters. I've tried a few of the tricks (some I like more then others) and i'm just wondering if I could get a little help with a couple.

Pinkie Does It. This is a rising card effect in the first chapter. I really like it but my problem is as you shuffle and control the card to the top there's way to much attention brought my hands which seems to make stepping the deck invisably very hard. Can anyone suggest any kind of misdirection (a moments eye contact is all i'll need.)

An instinct for cards- The first trick in chapter 2. Basically i've been practising this but it's very hit and miss. Sometimes the cards are all in order save for the selected card and sometimes 2 or 3 cards will be out of place after the shuffles making it impossible to find the selection. Is this maybe because of something i'm doing wrong or is this just a weakness within the actual trick. It''d be a shame if I couldn't make this full proof as the method of finding a card leads into a good transposition affect.

Obviously I can't say to much about how these tricks are done so those who don't have the royal road may not know what i'm talking about exactilly. Those that arn't sure and want to help feel free to pm me with a request for more details.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:56 pm 
born to perform.

well in pinkie does it you dont really need extremely strong misdirection to step the pack. make sure your spectators are in front of you, and as you lift the pack to the appropriate position, slide the top half of the pack down. just act natural and casual and dont draw attention to what your doing by being quick or unnatural.

for an instinct for cards, you are making an error somewhere. Ive used that trick in my past and it works very well. once you have the arrangement set up, the specatator may only riffle shuffle and regularly cut the cards twice. if you follow the instructions in the book to the tee, it will turn out exactly as predicted.

im keeping this vague so i dont expose anything to people who dont know ( which i doubt there are many of) but i hope ive helped you out. if you have any other questions or need anything more detailed, send me a private message and we'll figure it out there.

Post subject: Re: Help with a couple of tricks
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 5:26 am 
Penguin

Old post. But for the record, the trick is flawed. I've tried it many times, and it doesn't always work. I prefer the alternate method given in 'Mirror of the Mind". Roberto Giobbi has a version of it in his book, 'Card College Light'.

Post subject: Re: Help with a couple of tricks
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 11:56 pm 
born to perform.

Well, once this was brought back, might as well add to it.

The Go Magic Go podcast had a series on the Royal Road to Card Magic. While the name doesn't sound that good, it was a very good and fun podcast. The entire series was great, and the Royal Road segments will probably be of help to anyone reading the book.