View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Cards dvds - what's the best
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 9:41 am 
Penguin

hi guys,
since I think that pedagogy in magic has slightly improved in the past years I was wondering if any of you can suggest me one of the several complete courses in cards magic on dvd. I found stuff by Daryl, by Ammar and many many more. Any one can suggest? I have Giobbi's Card Collage books, but I am sure with the video I can learn everything pretty faster...

Thx,
Andrea
(Italy)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 11:15 am 
Penguin

hey andrea,
sorry it's not a dvd, but you can download it from a website or get it on vhs. it's called ninja. (it's a series: ninja 1 and ninja 2). it's probably one of the best videos. teaches you a lot of vegas gambling cheats, a really cool one-handed pass, and some other stuff. if u want the website, pm me and i'll give it to you. (if i put it here, they'd edit it out). :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 12:30 pm 
born to perform.

I know it is not a DVD or video, but Royal Road to card magic is great. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 5:46 pm 
born to perform.

if you learn faster from dvd's and videos and want to learn cards i would get some of daryl's stuff. he is by far one of the best magic teachers ever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 8:23 pm 
born to perform.

YEah, i am heard Daryl's encycelpedia of card sleights is reallly good because it shows so many different sleights. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 1:52 pm 
Penguin

Smar99 wrote:
if you learn faster from dvd's and videos and want to learn cards i would get some of daryl's stuff. he is by far one of the best magic teachers ever.

And which one would you suggest? The encyclopedia of card sleights (8 dvd's) or the Daryl's Card Revelation (5 dvd's)? And also... if I own one is the other serie interesting or do they have redundant stuff?

Thx guys!
Andrea

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 2:07 pm 
born to perform.

Quote:
And also... if I own one is the other serie interesting or do they have redundant stuff?

Some of the stuff might be redundant, but I doubt much of it is. I wouldn't neccesarily recommend Daryl's Encyclopedia of Card Sleights for your first card magic DVD. These DVDs contain ALL sleights. If you're just starting out, you're going to want tricks to do. Sure, you want to get a basic knowledge of card sleights, but you're also going to want tricks.

I suggest you check out Michael Ammar's Easy to Master Card Miracles set. I've only seen Volume One but I've heard all six are wonderful. You could also take a look at Daryl's Ambitious Card DVD. This video is an absolute gold mine. Not only do you get Daryl's complete award-winning routine, but he teaches about 25 other sleights and ambitous card moves. Daryl is an excellent teacher, as is Ammar. You won't go wrong with either choice.

You might also want to look into Bill Malone's On the Loose set. These DVDs aren't for beginners, but in a few months, you might feel confident enough to check 'em out. If you still find the material too hard, put it back on the shelf. Then you will have something to shoot for. Learn more of the basics, and come back to it. Remember: practice is the key.

Quote:
I have Giobbi's Card Collage books, but I am sure with the video I can learn everything pretty faster...

Don't try to speed through everything. Sure, some things you can learn fairly quickly, but many things need to be taken slowly. Really study the books; don't just skim through them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 4:27 pm 
Penguin

RoatC wrote:
Some of the stuff might be redundant, but I doubt much of it is. I wouldn't neccesarily recommend Daryl's Encyclopedia of Card Sleights for your first card magic DVD. These DVDs contain ALL sleights. If you're just starting out, you're going to want tricks to do. Sure, you want to get a basic knowledge of card sleights, but you're also going to want tricks.

Well, honestly I already have gone thru a few books with tricks, so, just as in Giobbi's books I want to practice with the trick the sleights I am learning. In fact the reason for checking dvds is that I got Daryl's Ambitious card dvd (which I love) and on the other hand there is some stuff in Giobbi's book which I find it difficult to understand properly without visual aids.

RoatC wrote:
Don't try to speed through everything. Sure, some things you can learn fairly quickly, but many things need to be taken slowly. Really study the books; don't just skim through them.

Correct. No worries! I am practicing every day everywhere... as told I just want to aid the stuff I read in books with some visuals, making sure I am doin it the right way.

Thx for you help btw.
Andrea
PS:How about those "Ninja videos" someone was talking about? I came across the site that is selling them. They are a bit more expensive than Daryl's stuff for example... are they worth a try?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 4:33 pm 
born to perform.

Ah...the Ninja videos (and Crash Course). You'll hear mixed reviews on these. I personally don't own any of these, and I don't plan on buying any. The site that sells them is known to many as a site that rips people off (I, too, believe that $50 is a bit expensive for a video. And a VHS at that!). It's up to you, but I know I wouldn't buy from that site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 7:32 pm 
Penguin

Ditto roatc......i don't own the ninja videos, either, for the same reason. $50 is DEFINITELY a rip-off. sorry i didn't check on the price....just heard a lot of good stuff about them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 4:32 am 
Penguin

Get Ammar's Easy To Master Card Miracles Volume 2 on DVD. It was my first card DVD, and I bought it after I had ton a lot of research. I now own over 30 DVD's on magic, so I can answer many of your questions! I have all of the Ammar ETMCM (Easy To Master Card Miracles) volumes and all of Daryl’s Encyclopedia of Card Sleights.

Here is why Volume 2 is so great from Ammar's ETMCM series. Of the eleven tricks you will learn 7 are just amazingly powerful. Granted you do need to work hard to master these tricks, but there are a couple that you perform right away with very little skill with actual sleights. So much of magic is in the performance!!! Since you have the Card College books you clearly will be able to learn and love these 7 great tricks, just from ETMCM Volume 1.

1)Twisting The Aces (by Dai Vernon) you learn the Elmsley count!!! This sleight is perhaps the most important sleight to have been developed in the past 50 years!!! It blew card magic wide open, and hundreds of cards tricks use this count to create incredible magic.

2)Daley's Last Trick (by Jacob Daley) This is an all time classic of magic, and takes place in the spectators hands!!

3)Card Warp (by Roy Walton) This is the best trick that someone can do if they are absolutely new to magic. This looks like real magic!! When you see the performance and realize that soon you will learn the secret and then be able to perform this classic yourself, you feel real, real good inside.

4)Overkill (by Paul Harris whose tricks are in The Art of Astonishment books 1-3) One of the best "self-working " tricks ever!!! You still need to practice your presentation and audience management, but this can be done right away for the most part!

5)That's It (By Eddie Fechter the guy who invented the Two Card Monte that Blaine does) Classic of magic, fast direct and startling.

6)the Ambitious Card (by many but Marlo and Braue influenced Ammar's routine) Yes!!!!! The all-time classic trick!!! Where do you think Blaine learned his routine from that you see him perform on his Fearless DVD??? Well watch this DVD to find out and yes, you learn the famous "pop-up' move too!!!!

7) MacDonald's Aces (by ......hmmm I can't remember ) What more can I say, but once again a card trick that is not only a classic like the rest, but one that looks like incredibly impossible card magic.

The rest of the tricks are great as well. These will all take practice, but I bought the DVD on day 1 of my magic career and never have I regretted it.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions that I can answer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 11:05 pm 
Penguin

I know its not a video or dvd but I have to say royal road

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 10:47 am 
born to perform.

Ninja IMO stinks. I mean when i got it i was excited, but i ended up not using the video very much at all. I just wasnt a fan. Now if you want great magic get ON THE LOOOSE! _NIck_

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 11:59 am 
born to perform.

ninja 2,and crash course 2 are two of the better instruction videos you will
find anywhere period.The instructor is patient, makes use of various angles,and the videos have a street feel with outstanding clarity and voice
overs that will become common place.Those who disagree IMO do not have these videos...Ninja 2 I agree is a bit expensive,but 2 hours of great
instruction and demonstrations.Crash 2 is just outstanding and not expensive as compared to other videos.You get tons of information and
the live on the street performances are worth the price of the video.
Check it out......btw I buy videos from my local magic store as well as this
site.

Peace.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 2:33 pm 
Penguin

I have tons of DVD's. If you have specific questions please ask as that's what I'm here for. A few post above I mention the one DVD that I think a beginner should get. Ammar's Easy To Master Card Miracles Volume 2. To be honest I feel, for learning tricks, that it is the best collection of strong magic that I have seen to date for the price.

These tricks are classics!!!!

Does anyone who is reading this thread have this Volume of ETMCM???(Easy To Master Card Miracles).