View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: BEGINNNER TRICKS
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 11:36 pm 
born to perform.

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT TRICKS WOULD BE GOOD FOR BEGINNERS. I HAVE PURCHASED SOME TRICKS AND SOME SEEM TO HARD FOR ME, A BEGINNER TO LEARN. WHAT WOULD BE SOME GOOD TRICKS FOR ME?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 11:59 pm 
Penguin

Depending on how hard you wanna work to become good, I could recommend all kinds of tricks for you. If you wanna learn some cool color changes and stuff, get Jokers Wild. For an easy but effective trick that you can learn in 5 minutes, check out the The Ultimate 3 Card Monte. If you don't mind practicing and you want to go from beginner to expert, either check out Stealing Pips DVD or Daryl's Ambitious Card DVD. I considered myself a beginner before I got all of these. Now I'm beginning to get a lot better. Good luck finding some tricks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 12:14 am 
Penguin

I would recommend Magic For Dummies (no, I don't think you are a dummy) by David Pogue. The book starts off with some super easy, confidence boosting magic and stunts. Nothing in the book is very hard, but some of the magic comes from the repertoires of professional magicians. The book also gives you good patter (the stuff you say to the audience) which can make a good trick even better.

The book retails for about $20, but it is worth every penny. You'll get more out of this than you would if you bought a handful of self-working tricks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 12:25 am 
Penguin

I got that too. It's a nice book. I haven't really dug into it too far. But it's got some 'very' beginner stuff in there. But there's also some other pretty good stuff in there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 2:37 am 
born to perform.

Yes "Magic for Dummies" is a gr8 book.
If your looking for something slightly more indepth try "The Tarbell Course" by Harlan Tarbell. You can get an e-book version from Lybrary.com in this series Tarbell goes through just about everything you need to know in magic, from cards & coins through to Stage illusions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 9:10 pm 
Penguin

agreat book for a staring magician that covers many different types of magic is Mark Wilsons complete course in magic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 11:35 am 
Penguin

It is important to not get alot of gimmicks when you are first starting out, however, I recommend the Invisible deck in adition to everything that has already been said.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 3:49 pm 
born to perform.

A great book to start off with is Bill Tarr's 'No You See It, Now You Don't' teaches all the basics of sleights with just about everything. Everything in there from beginner stuff to really advanced stuff. After 25 years in Magic, I still keep it on my bookshelf (and currently working on my third copy, having worn out the first two.).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 8:46 pm 
Penguin

RRTCM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 5:39 am 
Penguin

Funny enough, Daryl's ambitious card will do one of two things to a beginner. Either he/she understands most of it, but it seems too hard for him/her, so they quit. Or, in my case, I really wanted to perform this trick close to what Daryl does, so i practiced until I couldn't practice anymore.

Basically, if you can stick with things for a while, get ambitious card DVD.

just my opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 5:59 am 
born to perform.

it depends on how much of a begginer s/he is though.. if s/he has never done anything, i wouldnt get the ambitious card because it could deter very easily...
start off small-medium then once you have the basics, go for the ambitious card because it will seem easier.. but still a challenge to perform nicely

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 7:24 am 
born to perform.

uziel wrote:
RRTCM

great place to start out...a little hard to understand because of the way it is written but I learned a lot of great things!