View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Beginner - how to force a card?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 9:08 am 
Penguin

I have just bought a heap of gear from Penguin to start out, though there are no directions on how to force a card. They just show 1 lame way of cutting the deck twice. What are some of the best ways to force a card and where can I learn them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 9:50 am 
Penguin

Welcome!

Penguin Magic has an "Instant Downloads" section: http://www.penguinmagic.com/downloads.php

Anyways, what you are looking for is right here http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=629
this teaches you FIVE ways to force a ANY card you like on someone.

Hope that helped

Post subject: Lame?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 10:33 am 
Penguin

First, let me say, welcome to magic! It's great to see a beginner looking to improve his performance, instead of just blindly following the instructions provided.

Now, let me ask you something. Is the method of forcing lame, or is the presentation lame? A common hardship that many new magicians face happens when they read the instructions for the first time.

The moment they get the "AHA! So THAT'S how it works!" they often get a feeling of disappointment and think "that's terrible! nobody will fall for that!" I had this difficulty myself, and it made it difficult to get good reactions when performing. It tends to lead the beginner to buy lots of "tricks" that end up on a shelf unused.

My solution to this problem is to place the focus on the presentation rather than on the method. From the spectator's point of view, you could force a card on them 100,000 different ways, but if you focus on the force, they will not be impressed. The key to forcing cards is placing the emphasis on the rest of the presentation, and not on the force itself. Focus on your patter (what you're saying), and on your gestures, and you'll find that 1 'lame' method of forcing can be QUITE POWERFUL in the eyes of a typical spectator. If, however, they suspect you're up to something, the effect will die immediately, no matter what force you are using.

All that being said, I can give you some excellent references to learn other methods of forcing. The best by far is available here at Penguin Magic and is called the Classic Force. This takes work, but once you are proficient, nothing even comes close.

Penguin also offers 5 Methods of Forcing here.

If you're looking to become a card magician and REALLY learn some technique, then you might look to Card College.

One last comment (I hope I haven't scared you off by now...) is that whatever road you take as a magician, the best way to get started and learning is through books. While it's not as thrilling as opening a brand new gimmick and learning the secret, it will make you better and you will get much more bang for your buck.

Thanks again for sticking with me,
Bryan[/i]

Post subject: Re: Lame?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 11:16 am 
born to perform.

tidan_md wrote:
First, let me say, welcome to magic! It's great to see a beginner looking to improve his performance, instead of just blindly following the instructions provided.

Now, let me ask you something. Is the method of forcing lame, or is the presentation lame? A common hardship that many new magicians face happens when they read the instructions for the first time.

The moment they get the "AHA! So THAT'S how it works!" they often get a feeling of disappointment and think "that's terrible! nobody will fall for that!" I had this difficulty myself, and it made it difficult to get good reactions when performing. It tends to lead the beginner to buy lots of "tricks" that end up on a shelf unused.

My solution to this problem is to place the focus on the presentation rather than on the method. From the spectator's point of view, you could force a card on them 100,000 different ways, but if you focus on the force, they will not be impressed. The key to forcing cards is placing the emphasis on the rest of the presentation, and not on the force itself. Focus on your patter (what you're saying), and on your gestures, and you'll find that 1 'lame' method of forcing can be QUITE POWERFUL in the eyes of a typical spectator. If, however, they suspect you're up to something, the effect will die immediately, no matter what force you are using.

All that being said, I can give you some excellent references to learn other methods of forcing. The best by far is available here at Penguin Magic and is called the Classic Force. This takes work, but once you are proficient, nothing even comes close.

Penguin also offers 5 Methods of Forcing here.

If you're looking to become a card magician and REALLY learn some technique, then you might look to Card College.

One last comment (I hope I haven't scared you off by now...) is that whatever road you take as a magician, the best way to get started and learning is through books. While it's not as thrilling as opening a brand new gimmick and learning the secret, it will make you better and you will get much more bang for your buck.

Thanks again for sticking with me,
Bryan[/i]

Um, I'm not sure but I don't think you are supposed to post your affiliate ID, because you can see it in those links.

Post subject: Re: Lame?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 11:57 am 
Penguin

Rlk7 wrote:
Um, I'm not sure but I don't think you are supposed to post your affiliate ID, because you can see it in those links.

My mistake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 1:33 pm 
Penguin

Why not?? Tidan is refering another person to a trick. Which in turn is helping Penguin make sales.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 2:58 pm 
born to perform.

Go to here: http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=554

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 3:16 pm 
Penguin

http://web.superb.net/cardtric/index.htm

try this site. it's recommended alot here at penguin. many free card tricks, forces, things like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 5:07 pm 
born to perform.

Don't be too quick to throw out these "lame" forces. Some forces, that seem almost stupidly simple, will work quite well with laymen.

In any case, look at the book Royal Road to Card Magic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 6:55 pm 
born to perform.

Location: I shall not capitulate... no never. I may be destroyed, but if I am, I shall drag a world with me...
Buy a book instead of a bunch of downloads and crap..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 7:47 pm 
born to perform.

Royal Road to Card Magic is you cheapest and best bet...
http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=573
Then I would go with Michael Ammar - Easy to Master Card Miracles Vols. 1-6 http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=105

Good luck an welcome penguin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 6:46 am 
born to perform.

everyone above said everything you need to know

welcome to penguin and good luck