View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 7:24 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Moderator

Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 9637
Location: Toronto, Ontario
MasterOfMagic wrote:
bravesaint wrote:
LOL dude I learned more in a single volume of daryil's enc. no offense to ripoff.com but comeon 2 card monte is like 20$ :shock:


Offense should be intended here, BraveSaint.

take it how you will


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 9:47 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 12 Apr 2003
Posts: 485
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Rodney Reyes from the school of hard knocks has an AMAZING pass.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 9:48 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 17 Jun 2003
Posts: 207
Location: Newport News, VA
Man, that site (though I still think it's/he's kinda...unmanly) gets WAY TOO MUCH flack.
But the saint is right...for the price there are books that kick the Ninja vids *sses. Notice I didn't say that Ninja 2 wasn't a good buy - it's just that there are better buys out there.

lfkwee wrote:
If you want to see a person with really great passes, type "Peter Duffie" into any search engine. When you see his riffle pass, it will prove to be more than enough of an inspiration for you to start learning to do a pass.


Yeah I've heard that many times, however I can't ever seem to find any site that has vids of him doing it. Please help.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 10:17 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 16 Dec 2002
Posts: 776
Location: Oklahoma
Check out www.magicvideodepot.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 11:24 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 18 Apr 2003
Posts: 1538
Location: plano east, texas
Or go to his homepage. www.peterduffie.com - this isnt the exact URL but it will redirect you. Click the bottom link where it says "Alternative Magic". It will bring you to a different page. On the navigation bar on the left hand side, click "Peter Duffie" and it should bring you to a page with all your videos.

Once you see his riffle pass, you will be convinced that the card just melted face-up to the top.

I know someone who has a riffle pass that is just as good, or even better, than him. I couldn't believe my eyes when I first saw him do it. He is EXCELLENT at the pass...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 11:54 am 
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 04 Sep 2003
Posts: 27
lfkwee wrote:
If you want to see a person with really great passes, type "Peter Duffie" into any search engine. When you see his riffle pass, it will prove to be more than enough of an inspiration for you to start learning to do a pass.


Peter Duffie actually IS the person who inspired me to think about learning the pass after seeing a few videos of his! He has some amazing moves...


So I'm moving soon, and I'm going through some old boxes with a crap load of books in them, and what did I find? A couple of books I thought I had lost years ago: "Expert Card Technique" and "Expert at the Card Table"! Wahoo! Paydirt!

I think I may just glean a whack of nuggets out of these two old treasures before I buy any videos...

Thanks for all the comments everyone. I'll keep them in mind when I need to go to the "next level". :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 1:21 pm 
Offline
Moderator

Joined: 17 Oct 2002
Posts: 3082
Location: New York
Here's what the website we are talking about does.
It takes people that know nothing about magic, who have just seen David Blaine's special, and tricks them into thinking that their site has everything you will ever need to know about magic. You'll notice that if you punch street magic into your search engine, this site is first to pop up.
Once they get you in to their website, as a layman, they've got you for good. They use visual tactics and an MTV feel to atract visitors. On advertising standards, the website is set up beautifully. The dark color scheme, the fast paced videos, and the modern feel, are just some of the things I am referring to. Now remember, they've brought you to the site as an ignorant. They know that they're not going to sell magicians; they're seeking lay people. So, they get their customers to believe that $ 60 is a standard price for a 1 hour magic video, and the amazing thing to me is that it works! So the laymen bites the bullet and orders one of their videos. He loves it of course, because he's never seen anything like it. Brad Christian, as smooth as a con artist and as modern as his website, does everything to get this poor guy more absorbed by the site. The next thing you know, he swears by the website, doesn't go anywhere else and buys all of their products. That is how that operation works. It's wrong, but it works.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 11:53 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 17 Jun 2003
Posts: 207
Location: Newport News, VA
magicmandan wrote:
Here's what the website we are talking about does.
It takes people that know nothing about magic, who have just seen David Blaine's special, and tricks them into thinking that their site has everything you will ever need to know about magic. You'll notice that if you punch street magic into your search engine, this site is first to pop up.
Once they get you in to their website, as a layman, they've got you for good. They use visual tactics and an MTV feel to atract visitors. On advertising standards, the website is set up beautifully. The dark color scheme, the fast paced videos, and the modern feel, are just some of the things I am referring to. Now remember, they've brought you to the site as an ignorant. They know that they're not going to sell magicians; they're seeking lay people. So, they get their customers to believe that $ 60 is a standard price for a 1 hour magic video, and the amazing thing to me is that it works! So the laymen bites the bullet and orders one of their videos. He loves it of course, because he's never seen anything like it. Brad Christian, as smooth as a con artist and as modern as his website, does everything to get this poor guy more absorbed by the site. The next thing you know, he swears by the website, doesn't go anywhere else and buys all of their products. That is how that operation works. It's wrong, but it works.


Yeah, ummm - like I said before, WAY too much flack.
I just went back there and just kinda browsed their site. I was no more able to find justification for the "they TRAP people" mentality there, than I am able to find it at penguin. They overprice, for sure, but just because a place is overpriced and "modern" doesn't mean their goal is to "suck laymen in" and chew 'em up just to spit 'em out again. If I was to make a magic site such as penguin's, I would prolly make it more similar to Cristian's because thats just how I am. Would my goal be to trap people? No, and it would hurt that some people would think that.
And BTW, this sure isn't to say that this particular site isn't the way some people have made it out to be, its just that I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt. I mean, I would hope that there isn't someone on another magic site's boards who are doggin' out Penguin ..."Yeah, I don't know WHY people go to that penguin place. All they do is trap the laymen by inundating them with videos, and then they hit you with tricks that you can download for like EXORBITANT prices. All they care about is money!" I know it seems ridiculous, but what's more ridiculous is how people talk about others without REALLY knowing anything at all about them. I know I hate it when its done to me.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 2:18 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 26 Apr 2003
Posts: 1981
Location: Cameron Roat
Quote:
I would hope that there isn't someone on another magic site's boards who are doggin' out Penguin


This happens A LOT, because of the instant download thing. Every website, shop, whatever has its flaws, Penguin and Ellusionist included.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 9:49 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 17 Jun 2003
Posts: 207
Location: Newport News, VA
OK, this is just getting petty. Was that edit really necessary?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2009 Penguin Magic, Inc.