View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: What Coins do You Use?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:01 pm 
born to perform.

Location: In a white room, With black curtains, At the Station
At the moment I use half dollars, but im thinking of investing in some morgans.
So what are your favorites?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:07 pm 
Emperor Penguin

I use half dollars, but I don't do a lot of coin magic. More of a card guy, but I'm going to pick up In the Beginning There Were Coins and J.B. Bobo's Modern Coin Magic sometime soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:09 pm 
born to perform.

half dollars, quaters

-MagicTay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:46 pm 
Penguin

adjones wrote:
I'm going to pick up In the Beginning There Were Coins and J.B. Bobo's Modern Coin Magic sometime soon.

In an attempt to save you some money, it doesn't look to me like there's a lot in In THe Beginning There Were Coins that isn't in Bobo. It may be worth just seeing if Bobo satisfies your taste first

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:18 pm 
born to perform.

I use loonies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:23 am 
born to perform.

I wish I could use half dollars a lot more often, but I moslty perform with quarters. With halves, you just don't get that feeling of borrowing something and doing miracles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:33 am 
born to perform.

1964 silver halves

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:50 am 
born to perform.

i use half dollars. i want to get into more coin magic c but right now i dont do a lot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:34 pm 
born to perform.

Fandango wrote:
adjones wrote:
I'm going to pick up In the Beginning There Were Coins and J.B. Bobo's Modern Coin Magic sometime soon.

In an attempt to save you some money, it doesn't look to me like there's a lot in In THe Beginning There Were Coins that isn't in Bobo. It may be worth just seeing if Bobo satisfies your taste first

I will be buying the Bobo book in the near future. But what I like about the "In the Beginning" DVD is that seeing someone demonstrate a move on a DVD is easier for me versus reading some text and looking at a photo or drawing. With the DVD, you see all of the little nuances of the move and what it should look like in full speed.

Oh, and I like half dollars because they are perfect sized for a classic palm. Quarters are too small for me to show a believable classic palm. I am going to pick a few Walking Liberties because they look cool and have some history that you can talk about.

Tim

Post subject: Re: What Coins do You Use?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:37 pm 
born to perform.

Location: In a galaxy somewhere in the vicinity of Betelguese 5
Cigam_Eno wrote:
At the moment I use half dollars, but im thinking of investing in some morgans.
So what are your favorites?

DON"T USE MORGANS!!!!

Those coins are a precious part of American History, and worth far more now than they were when minted. My father in law collects Morgans, and would be mortified to know that someone is carrying them around in their pokcet to do a neat magic effect with.

Use Halves, quarters, Sacajawea or Susie B's if you want to use unusual american coins, or even the new dollar coins, but under no circumstances should you use Morgans.

FYI--there is one Morgan that is so rare, it's going rate is Fourteen Thousand Dollars!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:36 pm 
born to perform.

Update: I've been washing cars and mowing lawns to raise money so I can invest in coins for magic. Went into aan antique shop and they ahd an array of Ancient Roman coins that were recovered. Some went for a couple hundred dollars. I bought 3 so I could do 3/4 across from on the spot. I was in mid performance and a coin was so thin that it snapped in half when I palmed it. It was like a really cool looking one too.

This sucks :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:02 pm 
born to perform.

kraynik wrote:
Update: I've been washing cars and mowing lawns to raise money so I can invest in coins for magic. Went into aan antique shop and they ahd an array of Ancient Roman coins that were recovered. Some went for a couple hundred dollars. I bought 3 so I could do 3/4 across from on the spot. I was in mid performance and a coin was so thin that it snapped in half when I palmed it. It was like a really cool looking one too.

This sucks :(

I guess you'll have to do 2 and twelve-and-a-half twenty-fifths across now :lol:

Seriously, sounds like a bit of bad luck there!

Sean

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 8:10 am 
Penguin

Personally, I think it's best to use coins that are readily available, or that you can borrow at anytime. I generally use half dollars, or quarters. I always thought it looked funny when a magician was asked to do a trick, and he pulled out his own coins, especially Morgans. Who carries Morgan silver dollars with them? I just think it looks a bit phony.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 12:23 pm 
Penguin

I like Halfs. But there are many different types, its all preference. Walking liberty's, Barber's , and Franklins are cool. Kennedy's are more recent, so more people are used to seeing them. I wouldn't use any Half that is in "mint" or "uncirculated" condition just for the cost issue.

http://www.centercoin.com/coin_catalog/ ... atalog.htm offers a nice website/resource to see what is available, and if you want to buy any, they sell them. However, you'll probably find cheaper coins on ebay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:30 pm 
Penguin

I use kennedy half dollars, i got 16 of them, i live in norway so i got to buy it on internett.
but thay are the best:D