View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Preferred coins / Shell questions
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:16 am 
born to perform.

I have been using quarters consistantly for my walk around routines [nose to mouth, out of pocket, hand to hand], simple stuff I come up with using 1 or 2 different types of vanishes. I wanted to start using half dollars. What are some differences I'll notice when I start using half dollars? I've been a bit concerned because I usually like to borrow quarters, but with half dollars it seems there would be a bit more suspicion associated. having spectators examine anything makes my routines feel less fluid and more complex than they should be. Also, where should I acquire half dollars? Does penguin sell them? I'd rather buy them from penguin via money order but I suppose I could get some from a bank, right? Is it more difficult working with larger coins since I've been so use to quarters?

Also, I have some questions about shell coins, perhaps someone would like to PM me if this is exposure. Are they simply hollow coins? I don't quite understand the uses. Are they magnetic, because I don't use any gimmicks in my routines. If someone could explain an example effect using a shell coin I would be more informed in terms of making a decision to purchase some.

Well, thanks everyone!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:26 am 
born to perform.

AND ONE MORE THING

I have Butter Coin by Alex Lourido, would this render any quarter shells I would potentially own useless?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:33 am 
Penguin

I dont usually post in this forum, but oh well.

Here are answers to your questions in order :

- The only difference you'll notice is that they are bigger, and just a slight bit thicker. I'm only saying this because you say your so 'use' to quarters, and you'll notice the difference. Normally most of the sleights done with a half dollar can be done with a quarter and vice versa.

- Theres no need to have spectators examine your coins anyway. Coins are objects people relate to. And plus a laymen doesnt know something called a shell even exists. But if you must, lets say you have 4 coins and the fourth has the shell on it, and you have 3 spectators. Hand out the 3 normal coins and keep the last one on your self. If you have more spectators, then dont let anybody examine it. Just go with the circumstances.

- I think getting them from a bank (supposing you live in the US) would be cheaper, you'd be getting your money's worth.

- It wont be considerably harder switching from quarters to half dollars. It'll just be something new, a bit awkward at first, you'll get use to it in a about 3 days practice.

- I dont think this is exposure, and Im too lazy to PM anyway. Think of a shell as half a coin hollowed own. It is what it is, a shell that covers up another coin to make it seem as if there is only one coin.

- No they are not magnetic.

- An example effect of a shell would be that the magician takes one coin and splits it into two, puts one down on the table and splits it again in two, placing this one on the table and splitting it again, producing 4 coins. (just off the top of my head) You are not limited to splitting. There are hundred of effects using shells. Look into David Roth...Michael Paul has an interesting take on the shell and its uses...uhh I know theres a lot more. If genuinley interested in some resources about shells let me know, and I'll find some real good ones for you. No point in me naming for no reason plus...yeah I'm lazy.

I keep saying I'm lazy yet I keep typing. I guess I felt sorry for you as nobody replied...I take that back, I literally just loooked at the time stamp and you posted this about 15 minutes ago. I never type this much.

I feeel...cheated :?

:x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:26 am 
born to perform.

If it's any consolation, your advice and information is exactly what I was looking for, and is very much appreciated. Thank you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:58 pm 

I always put a coin into their hand at the beginning of the effect. I just make sure it's not the one with the Shell on it. Letting them see the coin and telling them what it is usually gets them to accept it, at least with me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:41 pm 
born to perform.

exodus wrote:
I always put a coin into their hand at the beginning of the effect. I just make sure it's not the one with the Shell on it. Letting them see the coin and telling them what it is usually gets them to accept it, at least with me.

Thank you, that is an interesting method to establish authenticity, I'll incorporate into a routine and see how it goes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:57 pm 

I usually have them put their hand out and do a Coin Roll into their hand too. That just implies that you know what you're doing and you're letting them see it at the same time. It's just a subconscious thing on their part to help them accept you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:01 pm 
born to perform.

Roll the coins form your fingers into their hand? Why?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:07 pm 
born to perform.

By the way, instead of making a new thread, I'd post a semi-continuation here:

I will be picking up 6 half dollars and 6 dollar coins from the bank tomorrow, I'm rather excited.

I'm going to see how they incorporate into gimmickless scotch and soda type effects [I'm sure I'll be able to whip up a routine], along with card/coin matrix routines, vanishes, etc. You all know the type of stuff I'm referring to.

It'll be interesting to see how the coins fit into my mouth discreetly while I build up to a nose-to-mouth effect, and if they make some of the more obscure vanish routines I've been digging up and working on easier or harder. I've been using vanishes like the imagination vanish, and a coin behind thumb vanish, obscure stuff like that, just to entertain myself, in front of a mirror, maybe for my family for the past few months. If these coins make those types of effects easier [I've small hands], I can maybe start putting them into my walkaround.

I am bored as balls o_o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:38 am 
Penguin

You put coins in your mouth? woah..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:33 am 
born to perform.

Yes I do; you can see my nose to mouth trick in this routine:

http://penguinmagic.com/discuss/viewtopic.php?t=132236

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:54 am 
born to perform.

For gimmickless copper/silver coin effects, check out Bobo's. It has some great stuff like that.