View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Coin Purses, Too Feminine?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:04 am 
born to perform.

I was doing some research on coin purses (I like this one) and my brother walked in.

He said, "That's a bit girly don't you think? It's a purse...."

Of course, I got angry and said, "No, it's for magic so it's perfectly fine."

I thought about it and realized that it is in fact, a purse. My dad also thinks it's a bit feminine. I don't care, as long as I have somewhere to put my coins.

What do you guys think? Are coin purses too feminine?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:14 am 
Emperor Penguin

nope

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:45 am 
born to perform.

Only pink ones with attached feather boa.

Sean

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:47 am 
Penguin

Well I make a joke about it - hold it in front of me between my thumbs and forefingers and say something along the lines of "I bet a lot of you don't even have a coin purse do you? Not even the ladies... sort it out"

I only really use the coin purse for the jokes like that, otherwise pockets are fine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:15 am 

I'm pretty assured of my sexuality, so it doesn't bother me much at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:12 pm 
born to perform.

I'm gunna have to agree with exodus on that one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:04 pm 
born to perform.

Haha this reminds me of something I did last night...

I was working on a gimmicked coin holder that can secretly deliver a second coin to my hand while I removed a single coin. I ended up modifying a matchbox a little bit. But then, I thought it wouldn't be good because I have no logical reason to use the coin holder. So then I came up with a reason.

I claim that coin purses are a bit too feminine and I wanted to make something to hold my special half dollar so that everyone would know I'm a manly man. Then I bring out my matchbox with pictures of bikini models all over it, and it gets a good laugh.

On the subject of coin purses, I don't see a reason why you'd need them, actually. I just throw all my coins in my pocket. I believe your around 13, mexico5, and there's no doubt that you'd get teased about having one. If you need to hold gaffed coins in something other than your pocket, throw 'em in your wallet.

Post subject: Re: Coin Purses, Too Feminine?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:55 pm 
born to perform.

Location: Ruby city next to the Emerald city. Bob is wearing the Emerald Sneakers.
mexico5 wrote:
I was doing some research on coin purses (I like this one) and my brother walked in.

He said, "That's a bit girly don't you think? It's a purse...."

Of course, I got angry and said, "No, it's for magic so it's perfectly fine."

I thought about it and realized that it is in fact, a purse. My dad also thinks it's a bit feminine. I don't care, as long as I have somewhere to put my coins.

What do you guys think? Are coin purses too feminine?
Get a coin WALLET.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:23 pm 
born to perform.

Thank you all so much for your replies.

I think I'm going to get the coin purse and just make a joke about it.

How many of you actually use a coin purse? I realize that my pockets are more efficient than a coin purse because I can have the coins exactly where I need them for my routines. I guess I'll just use the coin purse to hold my coins when I'm not performing.

kraynik wrote:
I believe your around 13, mexico5, and there's no doubt that you'd get teased about having one.

I turn 14 in 6 days :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:25 pm 
born to perform.

If you're going to use it for that purpose, you're way better off just finding an old camera/mp3 player case and putting them in there. That's what I use to keep my coins in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:00 pm 
Penguin

I have quite a number of these same purses and love them. James Lewis uses them in his 'Million Dollar Mysteries' video and does a beautiful purse switch, as a result it is also refered to as a 'switch purse'. But when I first got mine it was given to me by a freind of mine, Reed McClintock, and refered to as a Sawa purse - I'm not sure which is more correct. And as far as looks, I thinks this is about the only purse I have seen that would easily pass off as an either gender coin holder because it is a perfect pocket size - and women generally don't carry purses in their pocket. It actually looks more like it was designed to be carried in a pocket rather than a womans purse. I don't know if Penguine carries both sizes but it is (or used to be) available in two sizes - one that fits halves nicely and another that works great for Morgans. I don't think it's so much what it actually is, as much as it is using the word 'purse'. If you get one of these it wouldn't surprise me if you didn't want another to start carrying your actual pocket change in. --- BT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:10 pm 
born to perform.

I use one as to not add wear and tear on my shell set.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:35 pm 
born to perform.

Get a Spanish purse - loads of the men round here (albeit slightly more advanced in years, but manly men the lot of them, the kind of man that calls you 'co ck' because he's hardcore Lancs). They're made of leather, have one straight back hinged edge and one long curved edge from corner to corner, zip up around the curve and are really rigid and sturdy. Top quality kit for carting coins if you ask me.

Other than that, pockets all the way. I was walking around all day monday with a coin ready for my coin bending demonstration in my pocket.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:05 pm 
Penguin

Magic needs what magic needs. i quote Criss Angel here "Sometimes you gotta look goofy to get the effect out"

Or something along those lines.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:48 am 
born to perform.

Wow, thanks for all of the responses guys. I'm going to buy the purse just to hold my coins so they don't get lost. They just sit on my shelf at the moment. I think I'll do what you guys said and keep them in my pockets during the day.