View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Silver half dollars 1964 @ $8 what do u think?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:00 pm 
Penguin

Hi all-

I found some silver half dollars (dated 1964) at $8 each at a coin shop. Morgan Silver Dollars at $30 each.

I have been recommended silver halfs are great for coin magic, more visual (since they are shiny)

What do you guys think - $8? Too expensive? Decently priced? I want to get at least 5 coins ($40) How much do you guys pay for coins?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:48 pm 

$8's a pretty good price for them if they're in good condition. I can generally get '64 coin culls for about $6 locally, so $8 isn't really that bad. Those Morgans seem a little up there though. I guess that's the quality. I've only looked at culls because I'd prefer soft coins if I'm going to perform with them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:05 pm 
born to perform.

Do its me but morgan's dollar as a much more milled edge ( if they are good quality ) That make the coin grip much more then regular silver halfs? Anyway I just prefer morgan's, but you can go to random magic stuff and ask if they have palming coins, They cost a tad more then silver's but they are made for magic and they have a higely reflective surface wich brings the attention from the back of the house, especially if you are doing coin manipulations on stage/parlour.

~blizt :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:19 pm 
Penguin

Thanks guys for your input!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:11 pm 
Penguin

At my coin store All silver halves are $5 and silver quarters are $3 but i 8 seems okay if they are good condition. As for the morgans, unless they are in almost untouched condition, $30 is too much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:56 pm 
Penguin

Honestly I'd much rather just get new coins out of the bank, shiny coins will tarnish after a matter of time so why pay so much extra for them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:01 am 

The ones you get at the bank aren't silver. They're clad coins. Combination of nickel, copper, and a few other metals. Silver coins have a different look to them and look more professional because people know what silver is. It's the difference between the diamond ring and the glass ring. The people that matter are going to be looking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:06 am 

You obviously missed the "The people that matter will notice" part of my post. I actually make it a point to tell them that my halves haven't been produced in over 50 years. I'm using Walking Liberties.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:09 am 
Penguin

If you have a half dollar, people will expect it to be a regular half dollar, no matter how shiny it is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:20 am 
Penguin

exodus wrote:
You obviously missed the "The people that matter will notice" part of my post. I actually make it a point to tell them that my halves haven't been produced in over 50 years. I'm using Walking Liberties.

Well if you like to impress people by exclaiming how old you're coins are I guess they work for you. But most've my coin routines work better if I borrow a coin off a spectator, as apposed to pulling out a 50 year old silver coin and bragging about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:44 am 

What works works, I guess. I prefer to perform my shows, my professional shows, in a suit and like to use props the make my customers feel that they have a true professional with them that's earning their hard earned money. It's not really bragging either. I just say that they're silver half dollars that haven't been produced in over half a century. Dan Watkins does the same thing in his video and many others do it too. When I used clad halves, I told them that even though you don't see halves that often, I like them because they're bigger and easier to see from a distance. Basically, I suggest to them that I generally work for larger groups, which makes a small party feel more important. Like I said, what works works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:33 am 
Penguin

I didn't really want to offend you, as you're obviously a professional. It's just something that's always seemed pointless to me(and almost humerous, that half a dollar would cost $8). But that's probably because I do walk around restaraunt magic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:59 am 

I guess it's also pointless that I spent over $300 for a set of cups (one out of about six equally valued cup sets) and twice that for a pouch. Or that I spent two years researching a single card trick which cost me a few hundred dollars just chasing down books and manuscripts.

I too appreciate quality in my props, and the audience notices that too. Of course it probably helps if you knew that many of my audience members are worth several million dollars.

I'm not faulting your choice to use borrowed coins. It's just at certain levels you have to take that "extra step."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:06 am 
Penguin

Honestly I don't think you do, don't bother trying to intimidate me by claiming you are at a higher "level" than me. I have nothing against buying a half dollar for $8, in fact, maybe I should buy a diamond studded coin for $800 with platinum ridges on the outside and silver and gold alloys running throughout it, because that would surely raise my level of magic.

We're talking about lamen here, magic with borrowed items is one've the strongest magic there is. You don't need $300 cups or $600 pouches to be a quality magician, which seems to be something you aren't realizing, vanity seems to have overcame you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:30 pm 

You're mistaking "higher" level with "different" level.

I challenge you to perform Shadow Coins, Matrix, Coins across, etc... with half dollars borrowed from your audience. Good luck even finding one, let alone 3-4 of them. Even worse if you perform with a sh** coin.

I'm not saying borrowed magic isn't powerful, it is. But sometimes you must provide your own props, and when I do, I go for something better than the average products.