View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Vanishes
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:29 pm 
born to perform.

Hello :), recently i have started getting more and more into coin magic, i have a couple of nice sources for learning but i really would like to learn some retention vanishes in depth, all of my books and revolutonary coin magic dont go into much detail so could anyone reccomend any sources for coin vanishes? thanks.

Post subject: Re: Vanishes
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:31 pm 
born to perform.

swatch0 wrote:
Hello :), recently i have started getting more and more into coin magic, i have a couple of nice sources for learning but i really would like to learn some retention vanishes in depth, all of my books and revolutonary coin magic dont go into much detail so could anyone reccomend any sources for coin vanishes? thanks.

What books do you have?
Use Bobo's Modern Coin Magic. Best book on coin magic for beginners IMHO. (I am a beginner also), just got the book, it's amazing!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:41 pm 
born to perform.

yeah i have bobos it is very good but i am more of a visual learner, i would type more but my hands are dripping paint and i think i may have ruined my keyboard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:42 pm 
born to perform.

swatch0 wrote:
yeah i have bobos it is very good but i am more of a visual learner, i would type more but my hands are dripping paint and i think i may have ruined my keyboard.

well thats not good. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:34 am 
Penguin

My recommendations would be:

a) Beginner
Bobo's Modern Coin magic (book)
Modern Coin Magic 4 DVD set
Michael Ammar - Complete Introduction to Coin Magic
Jay Noblezada - In the Beginning There Were Coins

b) Intermediate
David Roth - Expert Coin Magic Made Easy (3 DVD)
Michael Rubinstein - Encyclopedia of Coin Sleights (3 DVD)

c) Advanced
David Roth - Ultimate Coin Magic Collection (4 DVD)
Michael Rubinstein - Knockout Coin Magic (3 DVD)
Jay Sankey - The Revolutionary Coin Magic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:15 am 
born to perform.

Quote:
Jay Sankey - The Revolutionary Coin Magic
Wow i made a mistake there, i know your all helping but i was really looking for a detailed source for vanishes. thanks 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:25 pm 
Penguin

Location: In some sweet limo, with a hot girl *wakes up and cries*
Detailed sources? Wait, I'm lost. What do mean by detailed? Look above you man, it don't get more detailed than that. Unless maybe you are talking about direct links...In that case just copy and paste any of the above suggestions in the penguin search bar...

I know you're talking about retention vanishes but if you want something a bit more visual I'd recommend:

The Raven

The Black Widow

Gone (by Ryan Lowe)

And Fickle Nickle <(this one's INSANELY VISUAL)

Although sleight of hand can work just as well, I find that sometimes gimmicks are more powerful...These are for those rare occasions...

my 2 cents,

-Trix

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:54 pm 
born to perform.

Just buy David roths expert coin magic book, he teach two retention vanishe in the first chapter, I dont know if he teach more i just read the first chapter lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:42 pm 
born to perform.

Thanks, but does he go in depth into the vanishes?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:10 pm 
born to perform.

Have you ever been to www.coinvanish.com ?

Read my post about this site, it will really help you out.

Lastly, I want to add that retentions take an insane amount of practice to get smooth. They can be very discouraging, but stay in front of a mirror and try to think of the best way possible for the appearance of a completely natural motion. You don't want to make it look like a move.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:14 pm 
born to perform.

There's no such thing as a visual learner. There are only people who are willing to read again and again to get the move down and people who just want the effects spoon fed to them and learn it right away.

I like Dvd's and I admit they are funner to learn from, but I could get lots more info from a book.

Just get Bobo's book. Also after than get the David Roth book and maybe some Dvd's that were already mentioned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:20 pm 
born to perform.

nikiel wrote:
There's no such thing as a visual learner. There are only people who are willing to read again and again to get the move down and people who just want the effects spoon fed to them and learn it right away.

I like Dvd's and I admit they are funner to learn from, but I could get lots more info from a book.

Just get Bobo's book. Also after than get the David Roth book and maybe some Dvd's that were already mentioned.

Well that wasn't ignorant. /sarcasm

There is totally such a thing as a visual learner. Maybe someone likes seeing every step of the trick / move on the TV, and it helps them see what it is supposed to look like. Yes you learn more with books, but some people can't learn as well from them. Don't just say something isn't true if you don't believe it.

p.s. Funner is not a word. Didn't you learn that in about 2nd grade?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:36 pm 
Penguin

For me, coin magic is 100 times easier to learn from DVDs than books.
Without the Modern Coin Magic DVDs the Bobo book would be completely useless to me (although of course it's a very good book)
Sometimes "The best method is the easiest method"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:43 pm 
born to perform.

borntopreform wrote:
nikiel wrote:

Well that wasn't ignorant. /sarcasm

There is totally such a thing as a visual learner. Maybe someone likes seeing every step of the trick / move on the TV, and it helps them see what it is supposed to look like. Yes you learn more with books, but some people can't learn as well from them. Don't just say something isn't true if you don't believe it.

p.s. Funner is not a word. Didn't you learn that in about 2nd grade?

No I did not know funner was not a word. Thanks :D

I'm saying that too many people are saying "I'm a visual learner" for an exuse not to read good and informative magic books. It's harder for me to learn with a book and easier to just learn the moves on a DVD. I still take my time with it and get the info. from the book.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:41 am 
born to perform.

Yes i can learn from books fine, i am asking where i can get a good source for retention vanishes... :twisted: