View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:10 am 
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 06 Jan 2005
Posts: 476
Location: In some sweet limo, with a hot girl *wakes up and cries*
daniel116 wrote:
mmroczka wrote:
Detailed sources? Wait, I'm lost. What do mean by detailed? Look above you man, it don't get more detailed than that. Unless maybe you are talking about direct links...In that case just copy and paste any of the above suggestions in the penguin search bar...

I know you're talking about retention vanishes but if you want something a bit more visual I'd recommend:

The Raven

The Black Widow

Gone (by Ryan Lowe)

And Fickle Nickle <(this one's INSANELY VISUAL)

Although sleight of hand can work just as well, I find that sometimes gimmicks are more powerful...These are for those rare occasions...

my 2 cents,

-Trix



you suck at coins, thats all i can say.


Why? Because I use gimmicked coins sometimes? Some of the best coin stuff out there uses a copper/silver coin, or an expanded shell...using gimmicks doesn't mean you suck at what you do, as long as you don't have to use a gimmick to do anything.

Besides, do you even know what half of the things I mentioned even are? Most people have no clue what Gone, and fickle nickel are when I ask them...

Seriously I'm hurt :? ,

-Trix


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:57 am 
User avatar
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 28 Jul 2003
Posts: 250
Location: San Antonio, Texas
mmroczka wrote:
daniel116 wrote:
mmroczka wrote:
Detailed sources? Wait, I'm lost. What do mean by detailed? Look above you man, it don't get more detailed than that. Unless maybe you are talking about direct links...In that case just copy and paste any of the above suggestions in the penguin search bar...

I know you're talking about retention vanishes but if you want something a bit more visual I'd recommend:

The Raven

The Black Widow

Gone (by Ryan Lowe)

And Fickle Nickle <(this one's INSANELY VISUAL)

Although sleight of hand can work just as well, I find that sometimes gimmicks are more powerful...These are for those rare occasions...

my 2 cents,

-Trix



you suck at coins, thats all i can say.


Why? Because I use gimmicked coins sometimes? Some of the best coin stuff out there uses a copper/silver coin, or an expanded shell...using gimmicks doesn't mean you suck at what you do, as long as you don't have to use a gimmick to do anything.

Besides, do you even know what half of the things I mentioned even are? Most people have no clue what Gone, and fickle nickel are when I ask them...

Seriously I'm hurt :? ,

-Trix


I'll back you up on this one. I didn't do much coin magic until about eight years ago. At that time I was in the Navy and stationed near Seattle where there was this neat little magic shop that I visited regularly. There was this one particular guy there that I came to trust for recommendations. So one Saturday, he pushes me to buy the Raven. I had no idea what it was at the time, and he swore he couldn't tell me without risking exposure. He could have at least mentioned it was for coin magic, but then I wouldn't have bought it, since I wasn't interested in coin magic back then. He told me to just trust him, which I did, and he sold me the whole starter kit. Well, when I got back to my ship and opened the box(a plain white one in case you're wondering how I bought something without having a clue what it was) I swore I would go back and murder my friend the next day. It was obvious from the accessories that I had spent half of my magic budget on something I would never use. Still, thorough as I am, I took the video down to my shop, popped it into the vcr and watched. By the time it was over, I was determined to learn to use the Raven, and I began practicing that night. Up until a year ago my coin magic was done exclusively with the Raven, but it's made my love of coin magic grow and I am currently studying Modern Coin Magic because of it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:29 am 
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 12 Aug 2007
Posts: 16
mmroczka wrote:
daniel116 wrote:
mmroczka wrote:
Detailed sources? Wait, I'm lost. What do mean by detailed? Look above you man, it don't get more detailed than that. Unless maybe you are talking about direct links...In that case just copy and paste any of the above suggestions in the penguin search bar...

I know you're talking about retention vanishes but if you want something a bit more visual I'd recommend:

The Raven

The Black Widow

Gone (by Ryan Lowe)

And Fickle Nickle <(this one's INSANELY VISUAL)

Although sleight of hand can work just as well, I find that sometimes gimmicks are more powerful...These are for those rare occasions...

my 2 cents,

-Trix



you suck at coins, thats all i can say.


Why? Because I use gimmicked coins sometimes? Some of the best coin stuff out there uses a copper/silver coin, or an expanded shell...using gimmicks doesn't mean you suck at what you do, as long as you don't have to use a gimmick to do anything.

Besides, do you even know what half of the things I mentioned even are? Most people have no clue what Gone, and fickle nickel are when I ask them...

Seriously I'm hurt :? ,

-Trix

daniel would be your standard basher/troll so don't mind him


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:43 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 19 Nov 2006
Posts: 2571
mmroczka wrote:
daniel116 wrote:
mmroczka wrote:
Detailed sources? Wait, I'm lost. What do mean by detailed? Look above you man, it don't get more detailed than that. Unless maybe you are talking about direct links...In that case just copy and paste any of the above suggestions in the penguin search bar...

I know you're talking about retention vanishes but if you want something a bit more visual I'd recommend:

The Raven

The Black Widow

Gone (by Ryan Lowe)

And Fickle Nickle <(this one's INSANELY VISUAL)

Although sleight of hand can work just as well, I find that sometimes gimmicks are more powerful...These are for those rare occasions...

my 2 cents,

-Trix



you suck at coins, thats all i can say.


Why? Because I use gimmicked coins sometimes? Some of the best coin stuff out there uses a copper/silver coin, or an expanded shell...using gimmicks doesn't mean you suck at what you do, as long as you don't have to use a gimmick to do anything.

Besides, do you even know what half of the things I mentioned even are? Most people have no clue what Gone, and fickle nickel are when I ask them...

Seriously I'm hurt :? ,

-Trix


you tell a beginner to buy gimmicks that cost like 400 bucks... you suck at coins.
look at all those gimmicks you need just to make a coin vanish when there are like a million AMAZING impromptu vanishes!
gimmicks arent bad, but buying a gimmick for something you can do impromptu is admiting that youre lazy and you have zero skills.
i know what ALL those things are, and none of them is worth the price.

notice how you said you use shells and copper\silver AFTER you told that guy to buy all those useless gimmicks...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:48 am 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 30 Mar 2007
Posts: 967
Location: Sydney - Australia
FOR GOD SAKE SOMEONE PLEASE ANSWER MY GOD DAM QUESTION


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:15 am 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 26 Sep 2006
Posts: 3289
Location: The Shire
Did you read my post, swatch?

Oh and by the way, stop thinking that the material you buy is going to effect how much practice you have to put into coin magic. All the greats of magic learned from books, and they picked up retentions just fine. I think if you aren't good at coin vanishes and blame that your material doesn't go "in depth", then you're just being lazy with practice.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:09 am 
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 12 Aug 2007
Posts: 16
swatch0 wrote:
FOR GOD SAKE SOMEONE PLEASE ANSWER MY GOD DAM QUESTION

dude I posted DVD's which contain pretty much everything you need to know in coin magic. What else do you want? Maybe a DVD which has a title "101 retention vanishes"? There isn't any.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:21 am 
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 06 Jan 2005
Posts: 476
Location: In some sweet limo, with a hot girl *wakes up and cries*
Quote:

I'll back you up on this one.


Thank you! :lol:

Quote:
daniel would be your standard basher/troll so don't mind him


Oh! That it explains it! :lol: Thanks.

Quote:
you tell a beginner to buy gimmicks that cost like 400 bucks... you suck at coins.
look at all those gimmicks you need just to make a coin vanish when there are like a million AMAZING impromptu vanishes!
gimmicks arent bad, but buying a gimmick for something you can do impromptu is admiting that youre lazy and you have zero skills.
i know what ALL those things are, and none of them is worth the price.

notice how you said you use shells and copper\silver AFTER you told that guy to buy all those useless gimmicks...


Let me see:

Black widow (at penguin)=$250
Raven(at penguin)=$21
Gone (at penguin) =$21
Fickle Nickle (the first site that came up on google) = $8
Copper/Silver (at penguin)=$9
Expanded Half Shell=$28

O.K. Now tell me...which one of these are $400? Are you stupid, or just acting like it? If you put ALL the gimmicks together it would only cost $337! So where the heck did you get $400???

Besides he asked for advice, I gave it to him. He wants a powerful coin vanish, I SUGGESTED A FEW! What is wrong with that?

Quote:
gimmicks arent bad, but buying a gimmick for something you can do impromptu is admiting that youre lazy and you have zero skills.


O.K. once again you've said something stupid. All the REAL people in magic use a gimmick at one time or another. Lance Burton, David Copperfield, Mac King, Jeff Hobson, Chriss Angel, David Blane, Jeff Mcbride, Jason Latimer, Penn and Teller, and every other "big shot" out there! Using a gimmick doesn't make you "lazy" as long as that's not ONLY/EXCLUSIVELY how you do your tricks!

Quote:
i know what ALL those things are, and none of them is worth the price.


Now THIS last phrase is what REALLY ticked me off! You might "know what there are" but do you have ALL of them? If not, then how can you say they ALL stink? I think you are the lazy one, because if you really have ANY of these gimmicks, then you just haven't put enough practice into it...I hate to break it to you but the raven is WAY more powerful than a classic palm, if you present it right! So please sit down, and SHUT UP!

......sigh........

That felt good! :lol:

Thanks for backing me up LlevasP2,

-Trix


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:51 am 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 30 Mar 2007
Posts: 967
Location: Sydney - Australia
swatch0 wrote:
FOR GOD SAKE SOMEONE PLEASE ANSWER MY GOD DAM QUESTION
thanks guys, and sorry for the quote above, I didn't realize that a second page had started. no need to post here again anyone i got the info.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:33 am 
User avatar
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 28 Jul 2003
Posts: 250
Location: San Antonio, Texas
mmroczka wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for backing me up LlevasP2,

-Trix


No prob. Seriously, though, the Raven only costs $21 now? At the time I bought mine, I paid $40 just for the gimmick itself, and I've never regretted it. At $21 it's a steal. There's no reason not to buy it, unless you just don't have $21.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: vanishes
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:08 pm 
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 17 Jul 2007
Posts: 46
try the tarbell course book set its a great for beginners :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:03 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 19 Nov 2006
Posts: 2571
mmroczka wrote:
Let me see:

Black widow (at penguin)=$250
Raven(at penguin)=$21
Gone (at penguin) =$21
Fickle Nickle (the first site that came up on google) = $8
Copper/Silver (at penguin)=$9
Expanded Half Shell=$28

O.K. Now tell me...which one of these are $400? Are you stupid, or just acting like it? If you put ALL the gimmicks together it would only cost $337! So where the heck did you get $400???

Besides he asked for advice, I gave it to him. He wants a powerful coin vanish, I SUGGESTED A FEW! What is wrong with that?

Quote:
gimmicks arent bad, but buying a gimmick for something you can do impromptu is admiting that youre lazy and you have zero skills.


O.K. once again you've said something stupid. All the REAL people in magic use a gimmick at one time or another. Lance Burton, David Copperfield, Mac King, Jeff Hobson, Chriss Angel, David Blane, Jeff Mcbride, Jason Latimer, Penn and Teller, and every other "big shot" out there! Using a gimmick doesn't make you "lazy" as long as that's not ONLY/EXCLUSIVELY how you do your tricks!

Quote:
i know what ALL those things are, and none of them is worth the price.


Now THIS last phrase is what REALLY ticked me off! You might "know what there are" but do you have ALL of them? If not, then how can you say they ALL stink? I think you are the lazy one, because if you really have ANY of these gimmicks, then you just haven't put enough practice into it...I hate to break it to you but the raven is WAY more powerful than a classic palm, if you present it right! So please sit down, and SHUT UP!

......sigh........

That felt good! :lol:

Thanks for backing me up LlevasP2,

-Trix


black widow=250 bucks, nuff said.
raven=21 bucks for a gimmicked vanish that requires sleeves... ill pass.
gone=worst gimmicked vanish ever, there are ways vanishing coins that look just like gone, and guess what, theyre impromptu.
fickle nickle="hey look at this coin, now you see it, now you dont!" theres NO WAY of getting the same result with a retention vanish, right? oh wait...
copper/silver= this topic is about vanishes you idiot.
shell=same as above

while you pay 400 bucks for gimmicks (you lied about some of the prices, but it doesnt really matter...), i pay less than 10 bucks for a book that teaches me stuff that will get far better reactions than anything youll ever do.

lol, it makes me laugh out loud every time i think about how you advised someone who wants to learn vanishes to buy a black widow!
there are no words in the english language that can describe how dumb you are.

stop wasting your parents hard earned money on useless gimmicks and get some skills, loser.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:18 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 27 Dec 2005
Posts: 2333
Location: turlock california
i say get david roth's expert coin magic made easy volume one. It is supposed to be the best. I personally have david stone's Basic coin magic and I love it but i don't know if he goes as in depth as you would like.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:22 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 30 Mar 2007
Posts: 967
Location: Sydney - Australia
Yeah thanks, i just wanted clear simple and easy to understand, i will check out Davids stuff.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:20 pm 
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 06 Jan 2005
Posts: 476
Location: In some sweet limo, with a hot girl *wakes up and cries*
daniel116 wrote:

while you pay 400 bucks for gimmicks (you lied about some of the prices, but it doesnt really matter...)

Nope, once again, you didn't look this up before you posted, every trick was sold here at penguin for the same price as I said...if you don't believe me then that's your problem, you can go look up the prices on penguin, but I'm not doing it (again). I have better things to do...

daniel116 wrote:
i pay less than 10 bucks for a book that teaches me stuff that will get far better reactions than anything youll ever do.


SO WHAT? I am not saying that the black widow is THE BEST DANG THING ON THE PLANET! But it is worth getting if you really are a serious performer. And you've never met me, so how can you say your material is better?

*3 year-olds voice*
"Oh, look at me, my materials way better than yours even though I've never met you, or seen you, or your material..."

That is just being immature...

daniel116 wrote:
lol, it makes me laugh out loud every time i think about how you advised someone who wants to learn vanishes to buy a black widow!

ok how much money do you make doing magic kid? I'm 15 and I can easily make make $800-$1000 a week in tips doing table hopping and birthday party's.
If you are good, and you know how to present yourself, then you can make money easily. So 250! is not a lot of money for a serious performer.

daniel116 wrote:
there are no words in the english language that can describe how dumb you are.


I can think of three.

Smarter

Than

You!

daniel116 wrote:
stop wasting your parents hard earned money on useless gimmicks and get some skills, loser.


Oh, you think I'm one of those guys that sits around all day and doesn't have a job....that explains it all *sarcasm*. I'm not the one using my parents money, and I have mad skills (spelling included).

Now can we please get BACK ON TOPIC?

Thank you,

-Trix


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2009 Penguin Magic, Inc.