View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Is there a DVD where I can find 3 fly?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:49 pm 
born to perform.

I want to learn a good 3 fly routine. Where would get it?

Also.
In Gregory Wilson's on the spot, he teaches 3/4 across. Is this a nice effect for walkaround? 3 fly better?

I'm new to coin magic, but want to include this in my walkaround routine.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:23 pm 
Emperor Penguin

There are a number of versions of 3 Fly. I particularily like Daryl's 3 Fly III. It is available on DVD. Requires no gaffs. But of course, without gaffs, there ARE limitations. But Daryl takes care of those.

If you're looking for some awesome 3 Fly with gaffs, Troy Hooser has a couple in his Total Destruction DVD series. If you have never checked out Troy's stuff, you should. He's amazing.

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:54 pm 
born to perform.

Thanks a lot. I'll be sure to pick up 3 Fly III DVD by Daryl.

thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:22 pm 
born to perform.

I have it...I've got the routine down with the chips, but once I get my Walking Liberties I'll have to do it with those to see how it works with smaller coins.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:55 pm 
born to perform.

miniserb725 wrote:
I have it...I've got the routine down with the chips, but once I get my Walking Liberties I'll have to do it with those to see how it works with smaller coins.

Is his routine, really hard to learn? Or are you just experimenting with chips...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:41 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Very easy to learn. The bigger the coins, the easier it is however.

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:01 pm 

If you're looking for more technical Three Fly handlings, Reed McClintock has a few really pretty ones. My personal favorite to watch seems to be Kainoa Harbottle's Another Flippin ThreeFly. It's on the NY Coin Magic Seminar. It's darn near impossible to do though. Another favorite that's easy to do is Paul Wilson's. You can find a download on his site that goes over his four phase routine. That routine also uses a phase that cause Three Fly to get a much better reaction. Laypeople really don't seem to care about Three Fly. They get confused. The Wilson routine sells it to them in a different way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:21 am 
Emperor Penguin

exodus wrote:
Laypeople really don't seem to care about Three Fly. They get confused.

That is the dichotomy of magic. There are so many cool and impossible effects we can do, but performed without proper motivation, may lead to just confuse our audiences.

In some cases, we actually have to TELL our audiences EXACTLY what we are going to do, for them to be able to form an explanation of what it was we actually have done.

Three Fly is one of the most obvious examples for that. Simply performed by itself, will not get much of a reaction. The effect is over, and your audience still isn't sure what it was they had seen.

Matrix/Chink-a-Chink is another good example. I remember watching David Roth perform for Letterman. Wow. I thought his performance was pretty dry. As with most coin magic I see. An entire minute of explaining the different ways the coins can be covered with his hands, and what can be done to the coins, etc. Before he spends his 10 seconds of the actual effect.

Makes me ask myself, if all of that has to go down before you display a very visual effect, is it really magical?

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:44 pm 
Penguin

To the previous response, I would not most of the time, but look at these two examples...

Max Malini would give an elaborate talk on how he could tell what a card was just by looking at it's back..... the talk is very long, the effect is very short, but it gives the spectators something impossible to remember.

similar with Tommy Wonders vanishing birdcage. the effect happens in under a second, but the aftershock lasts long.

-Chickenz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:06 pm 

Yes, but Wonder's Vanishing Birdcage was beautiful. The only one that rivals it in my opinion was Billy McComb's.