View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Learning with both hands.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:10 pm 
Penguin

Ok, I'm pretty new to coin magic but I do know how to do the walk down, walk up, and the french drop pretty darn well with my left hand and I'm teaching it to my right hand now, also I just bought Bobo book and I'm not gonna even touch or look at anything else in the book till I get all the palms down and be able to do them without even trying. I already can do the thumbs palm, the downs palm, and the finger palm pretty well. the question is that should I stop learning palms with my left hand and relearn the same skills I listed on my right hand, and also will I be at a huge disadvantage in doing tricks if my left hand has more skill than my right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:22 pm 
born to perform.

its crucial that you learn the basic palms with both hands, though as youll learn more advanced palms and grips you will only need to learn them in one hand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:30 pm 

I disagree. I can't do a very good Classic Palm in my right hand and I use coins a lot in my closeup. My opinion is that you should learn the moves in whichever hand you're going to be using them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:02 pm 
Penguin

Location: In some sweet limo, with a hot girl *wakes up and cries*
As you can see there are going to be mixed opinions on this. I personally think if you are going to be doing real coin work at restaurants, then you might find it useful to be able to do everything with both hands (in case there are hecklers). But I don't think it is necessary, just be careful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:10 pm 
Emperor Penguin

What do hecklers have to do with being able to CP a coin in both hands?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:30 pm 
Penguin

Well if you have ever had a heckler, sometimes they say that you have things "up your sleeves" and "in your hands", even if they don't really suspect your hands, you might as well "show" them if you can. As I already said, it isn't necessary, but it does make you feel professional when you can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:23 pm 
born to perform.

Here is a response I wrote in another thread just below this one not long ago to a similar question.

Quote:
I can do quite a few sleight with both hands including the classic and finger palms among other concielments, because they are neccesary. But I find that it is best to learn sleights as you learn new tricks that require those sleights. That is when you will be the most ready to learn.
Kind of like how when you are learning guitar. You learn the chords as you learn to play the songs that require those chords, otherwise it will feel pointless to you.
So don't try to back thumb palm a coin in your left hand(for example) just for the sake of learning the sleight in both hands. Learn it when you come across a trick that requires you to back thumb palm a coin in your left hand and you will actually learn how to do it.
Well that's what works for me at least.
So basically learn the basic concealments in both hands but only learn more advanced conceaments and techinques in both hands if neccessary. Like my example for instance, I haven't come across a routine that requires me the back thumpalm a coin in my left hand so I haven't learned it in my left hand. If I do find a routine that I want to learn that requires it then I'll have an incentive (reason) to learn it and I will learn it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:39 pm 
Penguin

Well if you have Jay's 2.0 Revolutionary Coin magic, then you definitely need to be able to do the Goshman pinch in both hands. But yes, your advice is sound. First learn the basics in both hands, and then learn the advanced stuff in your dominant hand. If you want to go the extra mile and learn it in both, then go ahead.

-Trix

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:01 pm 
born to perform.

Well I don't have Revolutionary coin magic 2.0 but In the Origional Revolutionary Coin Magic you also need to be able to goshmin pinch in both hands for atleast on trick. And as far as I can tell my left hand can't do that. My left pinky can't really go behind the hand like my right one can. Maybe if I work on it for long enough I'll be able to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:07 pm 
Penguin

Ok thanks for all the advice, I'm definitely gonna learn the walk down and walk up in my right hand because those tricks are what got me into coin magic and I like that flourish alot. Im just gonna stick with going through the tricks in his and if it requires the other hand I learn it on that hand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:35 pm 
Penguin

mmroczka wrote:
Well if you have ever had a heckler, sometimes they say that you have things "up your sleeves" and "in your hands", even if they don't really suspect your hands, you might as well "show" them if you can. As I already said, it isn't necessary, but it does make you feel professional when you can.

If they think you have coins up your sleeves just roll up your sleeves...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:27 pm 
Team Penguin

Just practice! I have been doing coin magic for 5 years, and I have learned the fundamentals, (goshman pinch, classic palm, thumb palm, finger palm, click pass, back palm, bobo switch...) I learned how to do those in both hands with practise. Don't rush it though. It will come with practice and expirience. Just use what you use, and when you have time, (for me at school) just try the moves over and over. Hope that helps!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:52 pm 
Penguin

danger_ wrote:
mmroczka wrote:

If they think you have coins up your sleeves just roll up your sleeves...

Yeah, I do, but if you've ever had one of those consistent hecklers then even if your sleeves are rolled up it won't stop them from accusing you. But it does convince everybody else that he (the heckler) doesn't know what he's talking about...and when you show your hands "empty", it is also a nice convincer. Anyways, back on topic.

-Trix

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:35 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Quit performing for that guy. I think you are making up posts now, just to sound relevant. If you have that bad of a heckler, and are not David Roth, you are in a load of trouble, no matter how good your goshman pinch is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:31 pm 
Penguin

It all depends on what tricks you do with different sleights. If you want to use the muscle pass to make a glass penetration routine plan when and where your going to use the MP then learn it accordingly.