View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Questions on Dollar Coins
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:52 pm 
Penguin

Alright, so I've got a few questions on dollar coins. I'm talking about the older ones, where they are bigger (ie. Morgan's).

1. Where is the best place to get them? My local banks don't carry any, so I'm looking for some online places.

2. What's the best condition to get them in? Brand new? Used? etc.

3. How much do these usually cost. That way I can do a little research on my own, and compare prices.

4. I heard something about soft coins. What are these?

Thanks for all the help!

Last edited by themagicofadam on Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Questions on Dollar Coins
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:02 pm 

Walking Liberties are half dollars, not dollar coins.

1. You can occasionally get clad Ike's at the bank, but coin shops are your best.

2. Condition depends on you. I prefer like new coins. The edge needs a nice milling for Classic Palm work and the Edge work. Soft coins, which are coins that have been worn down, don't talk as much when they rub against each other. This is useful for other things.

3. Soft cull coins usually go for the price of silver content, since they're worthless to collectors. New coins are much more expensive.

4. Read number two.

www.CoinVanish.com has a section on choosing your coins. If you're looking for dollar coins, check Jamie Schoolcraft and Todd Lassen. They custom make the gaffs to match the coins. It's expensive, but you're going to spend the same amount if not more after you buy the gaffs separately.

Thanks for all the help![/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:26 pm 
Penguin

Thanks man! As you can probably tell, I'm pretty new to coins. I picked up Daryl's 3 Fly III and I love it. Just trying to find some good coins to perform it with.

Thanks again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:02 am 

Daryl's is good, but misses the part that makes the audience care. Three Fly routines are overdone and people don't really understand why they work. It needs to be part of a larger routine. Look into Troy Hooser's work on coin productions and vanishes. Add the Three Fly to the middle of one of those sequences and, with a little thinking to get into the right position, you'll have a good routine. Three Fly, by itself, doesn't really play well for lay people. It needs more around it. That's not just personal opinion, as Dean Dill and others have told me the same thing personally.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:12 am 
born to perform.

Just a little note. So many people always ask what "soft coins" are. The way I see it, just replace the word soft with smooth. That's basically what it means. They are worn down and hence not as rough and not as loud when rubbed together.

Post subject: Re: Questions on Dollar Coins
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:57 pm 
Penguin

themagicofadam wrote:
Alright, so I've got a few questions on dollar coins. I'm talking about the older ones, where they are bigger (ie. Morgan's).

1. Where is the best place to get them? My local banks don't carry any, so I'm looking for some online places.

2. What's the best condition to get them in? Brand new? Used? etc.

3. How much do these usually cost. That way I can do a little research on my own, and compare prices.

4. I heard something about soft coins. What are these?

Thanks for all the help!

A good resource is CenterCoin. I've ordered from them, they have great service and reasonable prices. Don't get "uncirculated, "extra fine", "proof" because they are too expensive, and they come that way for collectors, not to be handled. Coins in "Good" or "very good" condition are more what you want. If you buy from them, pick a specific date and known condition. If you let them pick, you have no idea what you will get.