View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: skin
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:37 pm 
Penguin

Sometimes my hands are just not in the right state to do coin magic due to the dryness in the air. It makes it very hard to classic palm and do other sleights. can anyone relate?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:00 pm 
Emperor Penguin

I have never experienced this (not that I perform a whole lot with coins!), but if you have a problem with dry hands, use lotion daily, and wash your hands often. If they're "moist", use some hand sanitizer, that'll dry 'em up a little bit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:11 pm 
born to perform.

None of the coin magic that is in my current working repertoire requires me to do any sleights that are affected by the dryness of my hands. Working magicians can 't really afford to be limited by those kind of factors. Finger palm... Thumb palm... Bobo Switch... Utility Switch... Tenkai/Goshman Pinch... Retention Vanish... these are just a handful of sleights which should not really be affected by sleight changes in dryness or moistness of your hands and yet enable you to perform a wide range of strong magic.

For me, tricks involving the classic palm are fine for casual situations in which I can control whether or not I perform and what I choose to perform, but I do not include them in my performance repertoire because my classic palm gets inconsistent when my hands start to sweat. Sure, that means that there is a lot of cool-looking, strong magic that doesn't get into my professional shows; however, there is also a lot of equally cool-looking and strong magic that does get into my professional shows... and doesn't require risky sleights. Consistency, practicality, and relative "bulletproofness" is more important factors in trick selection for me than involving difficult sleights.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:07 am 
born to perform.

I would advise against washing your hands often because I beleive that aids in drying them out. Unless of course you are using a moisturizing soap. Lostion in the morning is usually a good idea if you have that problem. Lucily for me I don't get that problem very much but even when I do it doesn't seem to ever hinder my classic palm. It is one of my most solid slights/concealments and I have it to a point where I don't even think about it.

For a quick fix you can blow hot air into a loosely closed fist like you would on a cold day. That should work.
Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:39 pm 
Penguin

Whenever I get really dry hands and can't do even a classic plam I take a hand full of change or the coins I'm going to be using, hold them in my fist and blow hot air into my hands. This usually get my hands in right condition for performing and it gets the coins all warmed up too ;). Or I keep both hands in my pocket and it gets everything all warmed up and ready to go.

Or if you prefer, I bought Golden Touch Advanced Skin Care from ellusionist. It's all natural so you know it's safe to use. I'm not sure if they still sell it or not but this stuff works great. IT's awesome for your cards and coins. It doesnt harm your cards at all nor your hands. Penguin might even sell it I didn't check.
-Joey

Have a Good One!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:35 am 
Penguin

since June 2007, my hands are dry. they crack, split and peel. it makes it hard to write sail, and handle cards, coins, and bassically everything else. :cry: :cry: :cry: but ive gotten really good at handling it.