View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Okito/Boston Coin Box
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:26 pm 
Penguin

What is the difference between the okito and boston coin box. Which is better? What coin box on Penguin do you reccommend? Do you ever use a coin box? Is it worth getting?

Thanks for the help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:20 am 
Emperor Penguin

The Boston features a recessed bottom. This allows the box to appear full under certain conditions.

Which is better ? ... you can do more with the Boston.
I have used Coin Boxes in the past but don't anymore.
And yes, they're worth getting if you'll put in the necessary work to create a nice routine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:22 am 
Penguin

Frijid_Pink wrote:
The Boston features a recessed bottom. This allows the box to appear full under certain conditions.

Which is better ? ... you can do more with the Boston.
I have used Coin Boxes in the past but don't anymore.
And yes, they're worth getting if you'll put in the necessary work to create a nice routine.

What about these?

http://www.penguinmagic.com/full_search ... buddha+box

All the buddha coin boxes look best to me. How are they? I don't understand all the different kinds. Magnetic, slot, sucker, plug?? There are a trillion different types. Which is the best in your opinion? What are the different kinds mean? Which would you get? I'm kind of on a price budget so I'd like a fairly inexpensive one to start off with. Thanks.

Hollis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:23 pm 

If you're just starting with coin boxes, stick with a standard Okito. The others are mostly variations which require you to know the basics first. The name "Buddah" merely refers to the particular shape of that series of boxes. There's nothing special about them otherwise.

As far as "are they worth it" that's entirely up to you. How many people do you know who carry coins in little brass boxes? None. It's a prop, nothing more. It's fun to play with, but if you're one of the "all natural" crowd it does nothing for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:19 pm 
Penguin

DaveV wrote:
If you're just starting with coin boxes, stick with a standard Okito. The others are mostly variations which require you to know the basics first. The name "Buddah" merely refers to the particular shape of that series of boxes. There's nothing special about them otherwise.

As far as "are they worth it" that's entirely up to you. How many people do you know who carry coins in little brass boxes? None. It's a prop, nothing more. It's fun to play with, but if you're one of the "all natural" crowd it does nothing for you.
\

Thanks, i've decided against one because I don't think I will ever really perorm it. Thanks for the help.
Oh wait since you are a long time penguin and magician I was wondrenig if you knew anything about Pips a Poppin? It is on penguin and I can't find a video of it anywhere. Have you seen it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:27 pm 
Emperor Penguin

hollisd wrote:
All the buddha coin boxes look best to me. How are they? I don't understand all the different kinds. Magnetic, slot, sucker, plug?? There are a trillion different types. Which is the best in your opinion? What are the different kinds mean? Which would you get? I'm kind of on a price budget so I'd like a fairly inexpensive one to start off with. Thanks.

Hollis

The Magnetic is useful but not necessary ...
... the Slot Box can't be examined without a switch ...
... the Sucker Box also requires a switch ... not really necessary anyway ...
... the Plug Box also requires a switch ... again, not really a necessary item.

Personally I prefer the Boston because of it's added benefit.

Whoops! I must have posted this as you were posting yours ... oh well, maybe someone else will find it useful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:24 am 
Penguin

If you get the Johnsen Okito Box set (includes Boston and Sucker boxes) you also get a fairly decent routine that uses all three. (I had to turn to Modern Coin Magic for a decent flip-over move, however.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:22 am 
born to perform.

hollisd wrote:
...i've decided against one because I don't think I will ever really perorm it.

Yeah... I don't think you would either.

hollisd wrote:
I was wondrenig if you knew anything about Pips a Poppin? It is on penguin and I can't find a video of it anywhere. Have you seen it?

I own it. The way to find out if it is "on Penguin" is to use the product search tool. How did you find out about it in the first place?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:42 pm 
Penguin

TheCaffeinator wrote:
hollisd wrote:
...i've decided against one because I don't think I will ever really perorm it.

Yeah... I don't think you would either.

hollisd wrote:
I was wondrenig if you knew anything about Pips a Poppin? It is on penguin and I can't find a video of it anywhere. Have you seen it?

I own it. The way to find out if it is "on Penguin" is to use the product search tool. How did you find out about it in the first place?

Read carefully.. It says "it is on Penguin. I saw it on penguin but no video. Just wondering more about it because It is hard for me to picture how the trick would look from the description. I wanted to see a video of it performed. Thats all.