View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:03 pm 
born to perform.

daniel116 wrote:
Definitely Bobo.
I almost bought Jay's DVD but then I got Bobo's and now I feel no need to buy Jay's DVD.

If you're gonna buy a coin DVD, I would suggest David Stone's DVDs
I absolutely love David Stone's coin dvd's. I have the roth dvd's and stone's dvd's and I actually prefer stone's dvd's in almost every way. If you aren't big into reading I suggest Stones First dvd. I don't have in the beginning bla bla bla so I can't suggest it or denounce it but I have heard mixed opinions about it. And I have only ever heard great things about the roth and stone dvd's.
Here's a link to Stone's first dvd.- http://penguinmagic.com/specialorderproduct.php?ID=4501

And on a different note, Caffinator, who is chikeze?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:06 pm 
born to perform.

He's one of the current American Idol contestants.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:19 pm 
born to perform.

Oh. :lol: I don't watch that show. My mom and sister are fanatical about it though.

By the way, I agree with you about the visual learning thing. But when I was first trying to learn magic out of library books I felt like I couldn't learn from books because I didn't know any of the terminology or what anything was supposed to look like.

Once I had bought and watched a few magic dvd's, the books seemed instanly ten times easier to read and comprehend. I'm sure I could have learned from books in the beginning but I just got frustrated to fast and stopped trying.

That's why I really got started in magic as late as I did. I always LOVED magic but whenever I tryed to learn I got discouraged and forgot about it for a while and then tryed again and that went on until did an internet search and found Elusionist and got a dvd. And the rest is history.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:30 pm 
born to perform.

TheCaffeinator wrote:
Bluebackedcards wrote:
i can and have learned much from books, i have many and refer to them them often.
as for the visual learner, there have been many studies done to prove that there are indeed different types of learning.
http://www.usd.edu/trio/tut/ts/styleres.html
http://www.ldpride.net/learning-style-test.html
http://www.washington.edu/doit/TeamN/types.html
take your pick. if reading books works best for you, more power to ya, but this isn't the case for everyone. since i am dyslexic, it is easier for me to learn from dvds
IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH BEING LAZY[/url]

I'm not saying that there aren't different ways of learning. I've taken enough cognitive psych courses to know that, not to mention the fact that I taught for twelve years and am married to a clinical psychologist. But one of the things that all of that knowledge and experience has shown me is that there is a huge difference between being chronically incapable of learning from books and simply preferring to watch videos. So, yeah, in many of the "documentated cases" here on the Penguin forums, it's pretty much about laziness.

In your case, however, you are not a "visual learner." You are a "dyslexic," which has resulted in you having to take that into account in your learning. Are you a mild dyslexic or do you proofread a lot? I ask this because your dyslexia doesn't seem to come through in your writing. Note, too, that being dyslexic doesn't mean that you will be a good "visual learner," since the symptoms of dyslexia can include visual memory deficiency, poor visual discrimination skills, and other visual processing difficulties.

Anyway... I still stand by my original point that Bobo's book is superior to Noblezada's DVD in every way.

i tend to proof read each post a few times before posting,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:43 pm 
born to perform.

You know... I seriously and deeply commend you for that. And I really do mean it. The non-dyslexics here who don't give a hoot about their communication skills could learn a lot from you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:51 pm 
born to perform.

thank you, it is nice to notice that my proofreading has actually payed off

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:04 am 
born to perform.

"Paid."

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:04 pm 
born to perform.

oops, well i guess i over looked that one....stupid disexia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:29 pm 
born to perform.

Bluebackedcards wrote:
thank you, it is nice to notice that my proofreading has actually payed off
Is it just me or is this post hilariously ironic? :lol: It had me cracking up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:47 pm 
born to perform.

I don't have any problem reading and I have been doing Magic for over 30 years. When I got Bobos book some of the stuff in there I could not comprehind as I could not see someone else performing the moves and had a problem with some of the pictures, then I got ITBTWC and it helped with some of the moves that I could not comprehind. I have learned alot from books and some of them over 100 years old, but some times a little help goes a long way. Some of you lerned from another magician and not a book, so are these people lazy for not getting the book, no they are lucky to see it in performance live. I on the other hand taught myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:53 am 
Emperor Penguin

zambini wrote:
I don't have any problem reading and I have been doing Magic for over 30 years. When I got Bobos book some of the stuff in there I could not comprehind as I could not see someone else performing the moves and had a problem with some of the pictures, then I got ITBTWC and it helped with some of the moves that I could not comprehind. I have learned alot from books and some of them over 100 years old, but some times a little help goes a long way. Some of you lerned from another magician and not a book, so are these people lazy for not getting the book, no they are lucky to see it in performance live. I on the other hand taught myself.

As I was growing up and learning magic, books and instruction sheets were all I had to learn from.
The only visual aids at that time were if you were lucky enough to have a fellow magician in your local brick and mortar shop share and explain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:51 am 
Emperor Penguin

I wrote an article on videos vs books to be included in my book awhile back. Although I am from the old school of book learning, I am never one to shun new and innovative technology. I like the visual references that allow me to study and learn from other performers, not copy them. Growing up alone with basically no other magicians around me, I never had the advantage of seeing other performers live very often. At least not close-up.

Video is good for referencing and viewing the "timing" of a sleight, that is hard to convey through written words alone. Personally I believe they go well together, and neither should be a replacement of the other. I have close to a thousand books, and not a whole lot of DVDs yet, but I love the classic DVDs by some of the greats. I think video is something to be embraced, not bashed simply because we didn't have it growing up.

The only real disadvantage of DVDs is they are more expensive, and you get a lot less information. Which is why I shop very carefully and make sure I get good value for my money. Back when I began magic there were no demos, only very sketchy catalog descriptions, all in black and white. Then you had to wait 6-8 weeks for your stuff to arrive! Kids these days don't know how good they have it. But then again do they?

Someone like myself who has already put the hard work in, and earned "the right of passage" so to speak; can appreciate this new techology even more. But even I buy DVDs sparingly. Also the MCM DVD with Ben Salinas is great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:03 am 
Penguin

You guys might want to see and try David Stone's DVDs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:39 am 
Penguin

I'd take the David Stone DVDs over ANY book about coin technique anytime. I'll have to disagree with most here. The information contained in a DVD of a good performer for the execution of sleight FAR SURPASSES the information for the specific sleight described in a book. You just need to know where to look.

Post subject: My opinion
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:09 pm 
Penguin

I have to agree with most here that learning from a DVD is more productive than learning from a book, I do have both the book and the video posted and I am a firm believer that Visual learning is always better not just occasionally but always. It is the closest thing you can get to actually having the DVD Creator being your mentor, In a way its even better as you have slow motion, you also get more subtleties from a dvd just from watching it being performed. I also will learn the move faster from a DVD than a book, I am not young(It isn't just the younger generation) but I think when there are advances in technologies I capitalize on this, Magic has evolved and I think that people are starting to realize this. I would say a high percent of you own a DVD player if so I would get ITBTWC this is a good DVD I have many books on the subject as well but I prefer to continue learning with the newest technology. I also believe that time is money and I learn at a much faster rate from a DVD. This is my opinion at least and if you use DVDs do not be ashamed I know many Professionals that use them as well. Do what is best for you, If you want to stay in the stone age by all means stay there but do not say that someone is lazy or even less of a magician just because they prefer DVDs to books :(

Get In the beginning there were coins, at least I got a lot from it there are less fillers in this DVD than Bobos (IMO 1/4 of the book will contain things that you will never use and I am sure most of the owners will agree.)