View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Multiple coin vanishes
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:27 am 
Penguin

Hey everyone,
When performing a coin routine and you have to vanish a coin multiple times, do you switch up your methods? Or do you use the same method? Or does it depend on the routine? Because it seems that if you do the same vanish over and over again, people catch on. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:40 am 
born to perform.

I do the same vanish like twice, and then some kind of a sucker vanish (usually the spider vanish)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:48 am 
born to perform.

You answered your own question. There are no hard and fast rules in magic. If something isn't working for you, then you need to change it. But don't fix it if it ain't broken. Personally I would not use the same method everytime but then I guess it would depend on the effect. However you state that you are getting caught which means at the very least you need to change the method. There is a chance too that your problems are presentational. But I wouldn't know that for sure right now!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:48 am 
born to perform.

I try not to use the same vanish more than twice for the same audience in fear of them 'catching on'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:19 am 
Penguin

Adammcd,
I didn't say I was getting caught. I said that people become suspicious IF I use the same methods. I personally change up my methods quite often. I was just wondering if other people did the same.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:58 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Honestly, if I was watching a show, I would suspect something if the magician always put the coin in his hand different ways. 9 times out of 10, when setting a coin into your hand, you're going to put it there the same way. Now start changing up how you put it in there (as if you were vanishing it), and see how out of the ordinary it looks. It will draw suspicion to the vanish, and you will probably get busted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:59 pm 
born to perform.

I would do the french drop...do a classic palm or a retention vanish.,... then maybe a spider vanish... But what I have been practicing are the wand moves from Ammar's Complete Cups and Balls Volume 2. But applying them to coins, etc...I'll do a strike Vanish... or one of the other wand vanishes with a wand, or pen...

The best reason is that after the first two vanishes, people may start suspecting you don't really put the coin in the other hand. Do what Dai Vernon used to do to take the heat off the retaining hand... Fake a retention vanish... or a classic palm vanish, then ..as an after thought say... " you know some people think I don't put the coin in the other hand...but I put the coin in the other hand.. * show coin in left hand.* ...* Do strike, any wand vanish etc..*... it's really magic :-)"

Get them used to thinking it doesn't go into the left hand then admit yourself that that is what people " suspect" then do a vanish with the coin in the left hand... makes it harder to reconstruct.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:07 pm 
Penguin

Thanks everyone. Since I started this thread I've been experimenting, worked on my vanishes, and now I'm doing fine. Thanks for the advice.