View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Flipper Quarter or Daryl's Three Fly
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:53 am 
Penguin

Hey, I decided to post this in the coins forum vs. advice cause you guys seem like you'ld know better. I was wondering which should i get because they cost about the same. I already have some good coins across so i thought i'd get a three fly routine and both allow you to do that

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:09 pm 

A Flipper Coin is a gaff that allows you to do a few different routines. Daryl's Three Fly is a trick to put in your show. Which do you need most?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:31 pm 
Penguin

I mostly just want to be able to do a 3 fly routine and I know you can with a flipper. I sorta wanted to know how Daryl's three fly compares with the flipper in how difficult it is to perform, and how visual it is. Also what are some other thigs a flipper can do

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:52 pm 
Penguin

Although I'm sure flipper coins can be used for 3-Fly Routines, I'm not aware of any sources that actually teach a 3-Fly with a flipper. There might be one on the DVD for the Butter Coin, but don't quote me on that.

If you're new to learning the 3-Fly plot, I'd go with Daryl's DVD. If you already know some versions of it and are looking to incorporate a flipper to make it cleaner, then I'd say get the coin and see what you find in just experimenting with it. You might come up with something new. Just be aware that getting the flipper coin in and of itself will not teach you to do a 3-Fly routine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:10 pm 

I know a couple of versions with a Flipper, but just go with Daryl's if that's all your want. Also, don't use a quarter for Three Fly. I'm not in the group that thinks it has to be done with silver dollars, but at least use halves. If not, they can't see and, those that can, will assume you're just hiding the coins behind your hands.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:18 pm 
born to perform.

exodus wrote:
I know a couple of versions with a Flipper, but just go with Daryl's if that's all your want. Also, don't use a quarter for Three Fly. I'm not in the group that thinks it has to be done with silver dollars, but at least use halves. If not, they can't see and, those that can, will assume you're just hiding the coins behind your hands.

Troy Hooser has one on his DVD's I think, and I like Daryl's routine. It's fairly easy.

-JT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:31 pm 
Penguin

is daryl's impossible to do with quarters because i do almost all my coin effects with quarters and i wouldn't want to have to carry around half dollars

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:36 pm 
born to perform.

Wolfguy wrote:
is daryl's impossible to do with quarters because i do almost all my coin effects with quarters and i wouldn't want to have to carry around half dollars

No 3-Fly will look good with just quarters. They aren't visible enough. I use Chinese coins that are a little larger than a half for Daryl's, or halfs or english pennies.

-JT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:40 pm 
Penguin

alright thankss

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:49 pm 
born to perform.

why would it be impossible with quarters? You can do any coin trick with any coins as long as they fit your hands well. Also, Have you ever tried half dollars? If you haven't then you don't know what you're missing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:54 pm 
Penguin

I have tried half dollars. But i like to use quarters because everyone has them. I only use half dollars with my okito box. also i've checked at a couple of the banks near my house and they don't have half dollars.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:37 pm 

Three Fly will work with quarters, but it won't look good. You might as well do a standard coins across. The key to any VCA is that the coins can be seen. Quarters can't be seen. I know because I've tried.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:37 pm 
born to perform.

exodus wrote:
Three Fly will work with quarters, but it won't look good. You might as well do a standard coins across. The key to any VCA is that the coins can be seen. Quarters can't be seen. I know because I've tried.

So have I, X. It really is hard for the specs, and to me it just feels cramped.

-JT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:59 pm 
Penguin

Once or twice I've actually done a standard coins across routine (I think I used Sankey's Mr. Clean Coins Across routine) with quarters and then done the last phase of Daryl's 3 Fly for the 3rd coin. It went over okay at the time, and I like the off beat provided by the gag of the last coin going "visually", but overall I agree that quarters aren't the ideal size for a full-fledged 3 Fly routine. Paul Wilson mentions in his "Knock 'Em Dead" video that larger coins actually make the moves for most standard VCA's easier.

Quote:
Troy Hooser has one on his DVD's I think, and I like Daryl's routine. It's fairly easy.

-JT

I've got Troy's book, and while there are two 3 Fly style routines in it, none uses a flipper. Maybe there's something additional in the videos though. I'll have to check those out sometime.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:17 pm 
born to perform.

outrageous42ne wrote:
Although I'm sure flipper coins can be used for 3-Fly Routines, I'm not aware of any sources that actually teach a 3-Fly with a flipper. There might be one on the DVD for the Butter Coin, but don't quote me on that.

If you're new to learning the 3-Fly plot, I'd go with Daryl's DVD. If you already know some versions of it and are looking to incorporate a flipper to make it cleaner, then I'd say get the coin and see what you find in just experimenting with it. You might come up with something new. Just be aware that getting the flipper coin in and of itself will not teach you to do a 3-Fly routine.

The buttercoin dvd teaches coins across. It comes with a coin that can work like a flipper coin but it works differently. I would get a flipper coin because they usually come with tricks in the instructions and you can do the 3 fly and more.