View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 3Fly
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 4:21 pm 
Penguin

which is the best version of 3fly?
does it require either flipper coin or butter coin?
if yes, which one is better?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 4:34 pm 
born to perform.

My personal favorite is the original Menage Et Trois by Chris Kenner.
It uses no gaffs and is pretty difficult routine.
It can be found in his book "Totally Out Of Control"

Many professional magician will say the Ultimate 3 Fly by Bob Kohler is the best...It uses a gaff (nobody know really except the owners)...It is said to be super clean and easy...and it's yours for a whopping $300 :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 7:46 pm 
Penguin

i am a beginner to coin magic.
i think i wont be able to handle Menage Et Trois..
btw, can i use flipper coin or butter coin to perform 3 fly?
and any serious angle problem dealing with the trick?
also, can flipper coin be examined?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:37 pm 
born to perform.

Do you have Bobo's book? If you are a beginner in coin magic then that is the first thing you should buy. Don't worry about a 3 Fly routine right now. You still need to learn basic sleights in coin magic before moving on. After that, there are many 3 Fly routines. There is, like joeking mentioned, Chris Kenner's original version in his book, Out of Control/Totally Out of Control. Then there is R. Paul Wilson's, Troy Hooser's using a Swadling(flipper) coin, Daryl's version, and more. I also hear that Jonathan Townsend is going to publish some of his original work on the Visual Coins Across subject. He's the one that started it all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 9:13 pm 
born to perform.

um, i think that 3 fly isnt as good as jay sankey's mr clean coins across. greg wilson also published a variation in hadling called 3/4 coins across. they use only three coins, and travel in the most baffling way. the three are placed in one hand. the other is cleanly shown empty. they travel one by one. no gimmicks. though much practice. this is one of the most worthwhile tricks to learn.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 9:14 pm 
born to perform.

um, i think that 3 fly isnt as good as jay sankey's mr clean coins across. greg wilson also published a variation in hadling called 3/4 coins across. they use only three coins, and travel in the most baffling way. the three are placed in one hand. the other is cleanly shown empty. they travel one by one. no gimmicks. though much practice. this is one of the most worthwhile tricks to learn.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 9:47 pm 
born to perform.

for the layman, 3 fly is far superior to coins across. it is VISUAL and layman react to visual magic. this is what I have concluded after many performances. The only 3Fly I use is Bob Kohler's (it is out of production for now, so if you are looking for one, check ebay). Ultimate 3 Fly is as clean as it gets. Other great ones are Gary Kurtz, and Paul Wilson. I don't personally like the Kenner routine in his book Totally Out of Control (which I think is an overrated book imho). Kenner's three fly is quite difficult to pull off successfully unless you have the skillz of chris kenner. and the cleanup is definitely not easy. I have never attempted it in front of anyone. Ultimate 3 Fly is worth the $315 only if you are a worker. Only if you perform for real people and make a living from it. then you will be reaping rewards from it. it isnt easy, but it is easier than most and by far the most streamlined and visual. the gaff is precision made. This routine is not for the hobbyist or beginning coin magician. Like many great routines you pay the price...for what you get. Ultimate 3 Fly will earn you more bookings than any $10-$50 trick will get you. That is why it is worth that much. So start saving up. Bob Kohler said he is releasing an even better 3 Fly with an improved gaff soon. And this one is going to be more than $315...*sigh* More money from my bank account.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 9:56 pm 
born to perform.

david_a_whitehead wrote:
Bob Kohler said he is releasing an even better 3 Fly with an improved gaff soon.

Which is what I am waiting for.

I can't believe you think Totally Out Of Control is overrated!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 11:05 pm 
born to perform.

the best trick in the book is arguably his three fly. it is what is most known and most talked about...i dont use it ever, the only thing I use from the book is Sybil and sometimes a version of In-Ten-City (no, not Oz's version). If it was on the shelves for $40 I would buy it but, the prices it fetches on ebay now...I have better stuff ot spend my money on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 11:06 pm 

Isnt there a 3Fly routine taught on the Mind Bender DVD?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 11:09 pm 
born to perform.

I also just made a pact that wont be buying the new version since I am not into coin magic anyway. I bout U3F on a whim and ended up using it some in performances, but it just doesn't go with my current set. however, i do highly recommend it for workers. It is a great tool. Good thing I have a day job. If I were still dependent on my parents for money there would be no way in edited they would buy me a $315 magic trick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:52 am 
born to perform.

Wilfr3d,the guys are right on about 3fly and being new to coin magic.
There are indeed lots of versions,you might want to consider
Troy Hoosers dvd's.Particularly the third volume,he teaches several
fly routines,and there are other good routines on it as well.Troy makes
use of the Flipper(swadling) coin.Also R.Paul Wilsons website features
an online e-book with a good 3fly routine called crowded coins for $10.
I would however start with other coin material in particular Bobos Modern
Coin Magic,Roths Expert Coin Magic,David Stones coin magic vids,etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 3:29 pm 
Penguin

if i simply buy the flipper coin..will i be taught the 3 fly routine?
i got michael ammar's coin magic video already..i think it's enough for me to do a good start.
i really wanna learn Oz's 3fly...can anyone tell me about his version?any gaff used? anything?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:31 pm 
born to perform.

no you wont be taught a version if you buy a flipper. oz uses troy hooser's version found on the hooser dvds or his book destroyers. if you are a beginner at coin magic, it will take awhile to get the handling down like oz does. and note, there are better versions out there, all of which were discussed above. just cause oz is doing a version doesn't mean you have to do the same one. just a thought.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:28 pm 
born to perform.

the best one is my opinion is one taught in cultural xchange 2 by apollo robins. it is the definitely the most visual and baffling 3 fly routine ever becaues it looks so clean and fair and has sleights not usually used in other 3 fly routines. and believe me, ive seen at least 10 other 3 fly routines. the 2nd best one would be the one taught in mind bender but its really difficult and u need proper clothing which doesnt work well for me