View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Lassen or Schoolcraft?
3CM-schoolcraft 58%  58%  [ 7 ]
Triple Thread-Todd Lassen 33%  33%  [ 4 ]
Other 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 12
 Post subject: Three Fly
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:51 pm 
Penguin

Ok, this post will kind of be all over the place.

To start things off, I am a restaurant/close-up performer. I am in search of a good 3 fly routine. There are a few things I have been looking at. Come fly with me looks cool, as does todd lassen's triple threat/3CM.

I looked at Justin Millers silver dream, but sleeving isnt practical in the enviornment I will be in. So, i guess my main question is CFWM or triple threat/3CM.

If the answer is 3CM/Triple threat, which one do you all prefer? They are essentially the same gimick, but I have heard people usually favor one over the other. They are identicle in price, so I guess its whatever you all think.

If you have any other suggestions, please feel free to post them. Thank you all for your time.

-Blake

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:24 pm 
born to perform.

If you are looking for a good Three-Fly gimmick, get the Lassen Locking Sliding Shell Set with all three coins milled down. It costs about $300, but it's awesome. David Regal uses this in a fabulous trick published in Genii. This is also the same gimmick used in U3F, or Ultimate 3 Fly. While that's a great option, I would suggest waiting. Bob Kohler is going to be releasing U3F2 soon, which will be amazing. Also, Paul Wilson will be releasing The Fly, which is supposed to be the most incredible Three-Fly in existance.

Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:29 pm 

For all the money you could save on those gimmicks, I'd go with something smaller. Reed McClintock has some great work on Three Fly. My handling was inspired by his work and all I use is a shell. As far as my spectators and quite a few magicians, mine looks just as good as some of the expensive sets. I've yet to find one that solves the two main problems all Three Fly routines seem to have, the first transfer and the last coin. I've only been able to solve one of them. Another thing is that they're not full routines. Even Dean Dill has said that Three Fly isn't the greatest effect for laymen. I disagree to an extent. I use it all the time, but in the context of a full routine. Paul Wilson has an amazing, ungimmicked version on his site. I'd suggest that one, if only for the theory and psychology he teaches.

As for the 3CM/Triple Threat, they're not a Three Fly routine. It can be used for one, but there's so much more. If you're wanting a Three Fly routine that looks this clean, you should just look at Garrett Thomas and Troy Hooser's work. They both use a Shell and Flipper combo to it full potential.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:57 am 
born to perform.

Eric Jones has a very cool effect he calls "Oxy-Clean Coin Routine" which uses just a couple 'special' coins. It pretty well emulates any 3 Fly routine I have seen and can be accomplished very inexpensively. You can check out his video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nWpe3jBENg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:13 pm 

That's not really a Three Fly. He just produces the coins and vanishes them again. They don't go across. Also, if you go to Schoolcraft, that's about $230 in gaffs, so I don't know if I'd call it inexpensive, either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:48 pm 
Penguin

man i had never been to schoolcraft before :oops: and those look and sound aweome, unfortunatly i just can't spend that kind of money on magic right now. but some time i NEED to get some coin gaffs from there.
which brand do you think is the second best to schoolcraft?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:11 pm 

Johnson. It just depends on what you need. Tango does decent work and they just released a Gravity Flipper in standard halves, so they carry most types of gaffs now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:21 pm 
Penguin

hey thanks alot, do you know where i could buy that brand? i didn't see them on penguin. i'm looking into a flipper, i'll check out that tango one. and i have a tango expanded shell which i'm makin work, but it covers only half the coin so i have to be careful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:27 pm 

The Magic Warehouse carries Johnson products. Tango's coins are in the SOC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:04 pm 
Site Admin

I do not perform the 3-fly, maybe someday I will have the time to practice enough. But I met a magician in San Diego at JC Wagners bar (or where he was working, not really his bar) and this guy had a custom 3CM set made up. He performed a 3 fly and it was truly beautiful. He also did some other effects with this set but, it is expensive!! The fact he could flip up one coin at the start and then conjured up 2 more then performed the 3 fly was great. Do not get it just on my word, listen to more experienced coin men here, since I am definitely not a seasoned coin worker!!!! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:18 pm 
Penguin

You don't need to spend all that money for one effect,
Here is my rendition of Eric Jones' Mirage Et Trois routine. Its his 3Fly.
I also used some of Manos' techinques and combine them with my presentation and I added the different color coins and production in the begining but Everything else is Eric Jones' Structure from his DVD Mirage Et Trois DVD. I can't recommend this DVD enough if there is only one DVD you can get right now this would be the one. You can find it at http://www.kozmomagic.com/
Enjoy
Remember have fun
Tim
www.vinnymarini.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:17 am 
born to perform.

I've started using Daryl's Three Fly III using a Split Coin. It looks fantastic. It's just so clean.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:30 am 
born to perform.

Location: Waiting as a final load under a very large set of cups. It is dark......
magicman4646 wrote:
I've started using Daryl's Three Fly III using a Split Coin. It looks fantastic. It's just so clean.

Does it come with the split coin?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:34 pm 
born to perform.

Bicycle12 wrote:
magicman4646 wrote:

Does it come with the split coin?

I used to perform Daryl's Three Fly III a lot, and then one day I stopped. I then ordered a Split Coin and started using the routine again. So no, they don't come together.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:00 pm 
Penguin

feher wrote:
You don't need to spend all that money for one effect,
Here is my rendition of Eric Jones' Mirage Et Trois routine. Its his 3Fly.
I also used some of Manos' techinques and combine them with my presentation and I added the different color coins and production in the begining but Everything else is Eric Jones' Structure from his DVD Mirage Et Trois DVD. I can't recommend this DVD enough if there is only one DVD you can get right now this would be the one. You can find it at http://www.kozmomagic.com/
Enjoy
Remember have fun
Tim
www.vinnymarini.com

Sorry guys I forgot to put the link to the 3fly routine....lol No gimmicks are used....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etKYqSzxq2Y