View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: David Stone Basic Coin Magic 2 Question
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:29 am 
born to perform.

Hey
Is the 2nd Basic Coin Magic DVD worth getting if I don't use jumbo and trick coins?
Or is there like a book that I should get instead if I already do everything from the first volume?

Post subject: Re: David Stone Basic Coin Magic 2 Question
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:31 pm 
Penguin

daniel116 wrote:
Hey
Is the 2nd Basic Coin Magic DVD worth getting if I don't use jumbo and trick coins?
Or is there like a book that I should get instead if I already do everything from the first volume?

Yes it's worth getting. I have both. I have to say the second vol of coin magic is just as good - if not better, than the first. Also, do you do everything from the first volume? Why not learn a couple of them really well rather than just learn them all?

The bonus section alone is worth it. You'll learn flourishes, an incredible production called the "stone production" (can also be done with multiple coins) using a web grip, it looks like real magic. The coin literally appears at your fingertips, if done correctly. You can see it on the teaser for vol.2 coin magic, just search it on youtube.

You'll learn alot of incredible new routines, such as david stone's "I want you" (which I practice alot to this day) and others! Vol.2 is alot harder than vol 1. In many cases you will need a very good classic palm and not only the ability to drop one coin from classic palm one at a time, but the ability to classic palm 4 coins in your hand for longer periods of time throughout the routine.

You'll learn michael ammar's wiped clean, which is the reason alone I bought the DVD. It's an incredible open hand display of a coin in the hand that makes your hand look empty. There's also a bonus section and in there you learn an incredible card to 4 half dollar trick called "Mietrix". It's in the teaser video.

I say go for it!

PS: Here's the link, the production and card trick "mietrix" are in there, enjoy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcE424yV7l4

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:09 am 
Penguin

hi, i am new here. is this for beginner level? i plan on getting the book.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:36 am 
Penguin

shawnhall wrote:
hi, i am new here. is this for beginner level? i plan on getting the book.

Yes it is.
I got it two days ago, and I have been doing magic for 5 years now. I was mostly into cards and I figured I was overwhelmed with gimmicks, and it was time to go deeper into some type of magic, and I chose coins because everybody loves coin magic, and whilst hard to perform, it is well worth it.
Back to the initial question. Why get the book? If you are a beginner, then it will be easier to learn from a DVD. Coin magic is as visual as magic gets, so you should really start off with video teaching. You will learn better, and faster. I won't lie to you though: the routines included in David Stone's Basic coin magic are quite hard. What I mean here is that you will not be able to perform everything tonight. You might be able to perform half of the routines in there very soon, but some of them use sleights that will require a lot of practice. But if you are ready to put in the effort, then buy the DVD's. Now.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:18 pm 
Penguin

Learning from a book DOES help ensure you perform as YOURSELF rather than a "clone" of the person doing the instruction on video. I'm a big fan of both if they are available for the same subject matter. The book first to learn the basic sleights / routines. Then the video to help polish YOUR timing and rhythm. My opinion only, but, I believe too many people end up bad counterfeits of the actual instructor / performers without trying.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:31 pm 
Penguin

dockarate wrote:
Learning from a book DOES help ensure you perform as YOURSELF rather than a "clone" of the person doing the instruction on video. I'm a big fan of both if they are available for the same subject matter. The book first to learn the basic sleights / routines. Then the video to help polish YOUR timing and rhythm. My opinion only, but, I believe too many people end up bad counterfeits of the actual instructor / performers without trying.

True. However, for a beginner, it IS easier to learn from a video. I love learning from books as well, but DVD's are definately better when it comes to learning the actual sleight of hand involved, for a beginner that is.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:24 pm 
Penguin

Easier doesn't necessarily translate into better though....

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:26 pm 
born to perform.

True but if the teacher is known for his quality and thorough instruction...

Also if one can't perform the technical moves correctly, it won't matter whether the performance is a "clone" of another or their own. Besides, being instructed by a video doesn't mean that one can't make the effect their own with their own style, patter, etc.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:43 pm 
Penguin

EZrhythm wrote:
True but if the teacher is known for his quality and thorough instruction...

Also if one can't perform the technical moves correctly, it won't matter whether the performance is a "clone" of another or their own. Besides, being instructed by a video doesn't mean that one can't make the effect their own with their own style, patter, etc.

Exactly.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:22 pm 
Penguin

Hey guys,

All I'm saying is that it's easy to fall into the trap of adopting the performance "style" of the "instructor" on a dvd, especially with a beginner. I also think it's important to be able to "figure out" the techniques from a book. Especially when you get one of those dvd's that say, "Utilize your favorite method to ....".

Personally, I use both. I have a few different sources, both books and dvd's, for many coin effects. I always go to the book first and try to work it through. If it seems cool, I may not even look at the dvd.

I only posted what I did because I hear/see so many responses towards certain magicians re: how their presentation is so dry, boring, etc... so these people don't want to explore these dvds. If the search is all about the finger flickin' and the techniques, it wouldn't matter if the presentation itself was the worse ever.

I just believe many people, especially beginners start out wrong and end up trying to be someone else, sometimes without even realizing it and hate to see it.....

Take care all....