View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Got some questions about what I should get
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:04 am 
born to perform.

I'm planning on starting to do some coin magic in June of this year and I live in Canada so I won't be able to do some coin magic but for the most part I will be able to.

So I was wondering what stuff I should get I was planning on getting these items in this order:
In The Beginning There Were Coins
Revolutionary Coin Magic Volume 1 and 2
Scotch & Soda
Here by Ben Seidman
then Sick by Ponta The Smith

The only problem is some of the effects in those DVD's require to use Half Dollars and in Canada the only coins we have are in order:
Pennies
Nickels
Dimes
Quarters
Loonies ($1)
Toonies ($2)
and the biggest is the Toonie the only problem is that a Toonie is a fair bit smaller than a Half Dollar so if anybody knows where I can buy some Un-Gimmicked Hallf Dollars and also the same size Chinese coins for fairly cheap I would be really grateful and I'll need 4 of each of them. Hope to hear from somebody soon.

Sincerely,

KingOfNynex2003

Post subject: Re: Got some questions about what I should get
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:47 am 

There's no rule that you have to use half dollars. Use whichever coins you're most comfortable with. I'd highly recommend In the Beginning. When you're comfortable with that, go to Revolutionary Coin Magic. Avoid Ponta's work until you're comfortable with some of the more advanced stuff. His work isn't for the faint of heart.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:18 pm 
born to perform.

I'm an intermediate coin worker so take that into account. Get Bobo's Modern Coin Magic as it covers a most areas of coin magic in depth including basic and advanced sleights, gaffed coins, sleeving, transpos and a huge number of routines and it is very cheap.

In the Beginning There Were Coins is a great DVD. I can't comment on the rest. Between Modern Coin Magic and In The Beginning you have a huge amount of reference material to begin with. Perhap hold off on the other DVDs until you get your basic coin skills in place.

Penguin sells half dollars

http://www.penguinmagic.com/specialorde ... hp?ID=6324

Penguin also sells English pennies...pick up one or two. You will need them.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/specialorde ... hp?ID=4194

I love Scotch and Soda but it is a one trick pony and not easily reset. Pick up a Tango Copper Silver coin - you can do a lot more with that coin than a Scotch and Soda set and they are very cheap ($7). This coin is hard to find in the Penguin catalog so here it is. I love it and very cheap!

http://www.penguinmagic.com/specialorde ... hp?ID=2668

Check out the Tango Ultimate Coin (TUC). It is a brilliant coin that does a lot (not all) of what an expanded shell, flipper coin, and a slippery coin will do. The DVD that comes with the coin is loaded with good material such as coin through deck, 3 Fly, matrix and reverse matrix routines. It is a great deal for what it does - a very, very, very clever all-purpose gaffed coin that will get your creative juices flowing.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/specialorde ... p?ID=11658

Tango makes a nice looking Chinese coin (I need to order a couple!):

http://www.penguinmagic.com/specialorde ... hp?ID=9841

Hope that helps!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:24 pm 
Penguin

Hey guys, I own the sick DVD by ponta. It is very advanced. You will need to be familiar with the wave change, curl palm (using multiple coins), the finger tip muscle pass, advanced sleeving and other techniques (such as the regular muscle pass and classic palm
Also the retention vanish, all of these aren't explained. So have your foundation set first is important.

It's good DVD though for the intermediate-advanced. Get all the roth DVD's, Michael Rubinstein's Encylopedia of coin sleights, stone DVD's optional (these are very good too), jay sankey's RCM is advanced too....most of all get Bobo's, if you like video get the bobo's on video made by magic makers and Ben Salinas.

Good luck

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:06 pm 
born to perform.

dude are you serious? don't get sick. thats rediculous. get in the beginning or some other beginner dvd. If you buy all of that at once you will be overwhelmed with information. Just buy in the beginning and MAYBE rev coin 1. There is enough material in rev coin one to last you a year or two. ESPECIALLY if you're just starting.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:37 pm 
born to perform.

acebrawler73 wrote:
dude are you serious? don't get sick. thats rediculous. get in the beginning or some other beginner dvd. If you buy all of that at once you will be overwhelmed with information. Just buy in the beginning and MAYBE rev coin 1. There is enough material in rev coin one to last you a year or two. ESPECIALLY if you're just starting.

I wasn't planning on getting everything all at once I was planning on getting the first 2 and after I've got good at the stuff on those 2 I'd go on with the other one's after a while and then work my way upto the harder stuff.

Also do you have Sick because I've heard that I'd need to know some advanced stuff like the Muscle Pass and other stuff like that. I do know how to do the Muscle Pass but I can only get about 11" of height with a poker chip because I live in Canada and the biggest coin we have is the $2 coin and it's still way too small to do the move nicely.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:55 pm 
Penguin

KingOfNynex2003 wrote:
acebrawler73 wrote:

I wasn't planning on getting everything all at once I was planning on getting the first 2 and after I've got good at the stuff on those 2 I'd go on with the other one's after a while and then work my way upto the harder stuff.

Also do you have Sick because I've heard that I'd need to know some advanced stuff like the Muscle Pass and other stuff like that. I do know how to do the Muscle Pass but I can only get about 11" of height with a poker chip because I live in Canada and the biggest coin we have is the $2 coin and it's still way too small to do the move nicely.

11" is plenty for the muscle passes on Sick, but that is beside the point -- if you are new to coin magic, then you probably won't get a lot from the DVD. The reason is not just because Sick contains a difficult move or grip here and there, but also because of the pace, timing and sequencing of everything. The bottom line is that if you haven't mastered introductory material, then you will be virtually stuck on every routine.

P.S. Living in ____ country shouldn't make that much of a difference when it comes to coin magic; use whatever works best... most coin workers end up using custom and/or non-circulated coins anyways.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:46 pm 
born to perform.

insomniac392 wrote:
KingOfNynex2003 wrote:
acebrawler73 wrote:

11" is plenty for the muscle passes on Sick, but that is beside the point -- if you are new to coin magic, then you probably won't get a lot from the DVD. The reason is not just because Sick contains a difficult move or grip here and there, but also because of the pace, timing and sequencing of everything. The bottom line is that if you haven't mastered introductory material, then you will be virtually stuck on every routine.

P.S. Living in ____ country shouldn't make that much of a difference when it comes to coin magic; use whatever works best... most coin workers end up using custom and/or non-circulated coins anyways.

Yeah the only problem is that I'm having a tough time finding Half Dollars and Silver Dollars in Canada right now and a few of the routines taught in RCM has routines with those coins. I did find some on here but they were in rolls of 20 and I'd probably only need 4 or 5 of them at most depending on the routine.

Also if you know where I can get un-gaffed Silver Dollars or Half Dollars I'd be reall grateful. I actually found some other gimmicked coin effects and I was wondering if these would be a good investment for me to buy and keep me occupied for a while. These are the effects I was thinking of getting:

Mirage Coin Set by Craig Petty
Metamorphosis by Wayne Dobson and Mark Mason
Scotch & Soda, Dime & Penny, ChinaTown Half (World Greatest Magic) by L&L Publishing
Coinvexed 2.0 by David Penn
Ammar Complete Intro To Coin Magic
and Miracle Chip by Mark Mason and JB Magic

If you think it's a waste of time to get these things let me know. Also take into account that I can only buy this much magic once per year now so all this stuff has to last me at least until next January.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:48 pm 
born to perform.

Also I know the Ammar DVD doesn't have gimmicked coin effects in it from what I can see.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:58 pm 
born to perform.

KingOfNynex2003 wrote:

Yeah the only problem is that I'm having a tough time finding Half Dollars and Silver Dollars in Canada right now and a few of the routines taught in RCM has routines with those coins. I did find some on here but they were in rolls of 20 and I'd probably only need 4 or 5 of them at most depending on the routine.

Also if you know where I can get un-gaffed Silver Dollars or Half Dollars I'd be reall grateful. I actually found some other gimmicked coin effects and I was wondering if these would be a good investment for me to buy and keep me occupied for a while. These are the effects I was thinking of getting:

Scotch & Soda, Dime & Penny, ChinaTown Half (World Greatest Magic) by L&L Publishing

If you think it's a waste of time to get these things let me know. Also take into account that I can only buy this much magic once per year now so all this stuff has to last me at least until next January.

Why would you not get Bobo's Modern Coin Magic? The cost is trivial to what you are spending. If you are buying Scotch & Soda, Dime & Penny, ChinaTown Half DVD you had better get each of the gaffed coins.

I would again suggest a Tango TUC coin - you can do a staggering amount of magic with one. And why not get a copper/silver coin. They are under $10 and allow you to create many small miracles. You are spending hundreds but you would not buy $20 worth of half dollars?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:08 pm 
born to perform.

tbwendt wrote:
KingOfNynex2003 wrote:

Why would you not get Bobo's Modern Coin Magic? The cost is trivial to what you are spending. I would but I heard that through those other one's I'm getting (ITBTWC/Revolutionary Coin Magic/and Ammar Complete Intro To Coin Magic) that throughout those DVD's they teach you almost all of the essential sleights and coin routines you could ever want to learn in coin magic. If you are buying Scotch & Soda, Dime & Penny, ChinaTown Half DVD you had better get each of the gaffed coins. I thought it did have them in there already. Where can I get them on here?

I would again suggest a Tango TUC coin - you can do a staggering amount of magic with one. Yeah I was thinking about getting that but I don't know how I can convince my parents to add another $65 CAD to my list because atm it's going to cost me $666 CAD to buy all the stuff I'm wanting to get so that would bring it upto $731 and I don't know if I can convince them to let me do that. And why not get a copper/silver coin. They are under $10 and allow you to create many small miracles. Yeah but they've been out of stock on here for a while so if they come back I'll probably get some and also is there any DVD's that teach some routines with it? You are spending hundreds but you would not buy $20 worth of half dollars? Actually one of the things on my list is a roll of Half Dollars but I still would like to get the Chinese coins as well and the Silver Dollars too but for some reason they're not easy to find on here and my local magic shop won't get un-gaffed one's for me.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:34 pm 
Penguin

KingOfNynex2003 wrote:

Yeah, you don't want to buy a roll. I would suggest finding a local coin/pawn shop. Although most coin dealers primarily specialize in rare and quality collectible coins, a lot of them will also have buckets full of bullion silver... these are the ones you want -- they are worn, soft and inexpensive! Moreover, they will usually have buckets of really cheap assorted foreign coins like Chinese coins, English pennies, etc.

If you can't find a coin shop near you, then eBay is probably your next best option. The prices for raw (ungraded) worn silver coins rival those of coin dealers, but you'll have to pay for shipping. If you go this route, look for people selling their coins in a "lot" (lots will vary from 2 coins to more than a roll).

As for the list, I can only advise against buying any resource/gimmick that you only get one or two effects out of. Don't waste your money on the Dime/Penny or Scotch & Soda... spend that money on quality resources instead.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:47 pm 
Penguin

KingOfNynex2003, Get J.B. Bobo's Modern Coin Magic Book. Has pretty much everything to offer on coin magic from beginner to advanced. Stay away from Magic Makers products, they knock off everything that comes onto the market and are of lesser quality. L&L videos are the way to go in my opinion if you are looking for visual reference. Scotch & Soda and Hopping Halves are great gimmicked coin effects, you can do tons of stuff with S&S, and hopping halves is a great routine.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:40 pm 
born to perform.

insomniac392 wrote:
KingOfNynex2003 wrote:

Yeah, you don't want to buy a roll. I would suggest finding a local coin/pawn shop. Although most coin dealers primarily specialize in rare and quality collectible coins, a lot of them will also have buckets full of bullion silver... these are the ones you want -- they are worn, soft and inexpensive! Moreover, they will usually have buckets of really cheap assorted foreign coins like Chinese coins, English pennies, etc.

If you can't find a coin shop near you, then eBay is probably your next best option. The prices for raw (ungraded) worn silver coins rival those of coin dealers, but you'll have to pay for shipping. If you go this route, look for people selling their coins in a "lot" (lots will vary from 2 coins to more than a roll).

As for the list, I can only advise against buying any resource/gimmick that you only get one or two effects out of. well there's actually only 2 on that list that you can only do 1 effect from and those are Coinvexed 2.0 and Metamorphosis and those are the main reason I want to start learning coin magic because they look insane and very visual (well not really for Coinevexed because everything happens in the spectator's hands) the Mirage Coin Set teaches 7 effects with those coins and the Scotch & Soda, Dime & Penny, ChinaTown Half (World Greatest Magic) by L&L Publishing teaches 7 effects as well and the Miracle Chip teaches 9 effects so I'll be getting my money's worth (pun not inteded). Don't waste your money on the Dime/Penny or Scotch & Soda... spend that money on quality resources instead.

I'd rather get new coins that have sharper edges because I want to be able to do that Muscle Pass I've been doing with a poker chip for the last year with a Half Dollar or Silver Dollar. Also I was taking a look at at an effect I think is called Charming Chinese Challenge. I was wondering if that would be a better thing to get than the roll of coins?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:08 am 
born to perform.

TheConjuringCC wrote:
KingOfNynex2003, Get J.B. Bobo's Modern Coin Magic Book Has pretty much everything to offer on coin magic from beginner to advanced. Like I've said in earlier posts I can't learn magic from books for some reason but I can learn from the AOA books which is kind of weird. Stay away from Magic Makers products, they knock off everything that comes onto the market and are of lesser quality. L&L videos are the way to go in my opinion if you are looking for visual reference. Scotch & Soda and Hopping Halves are great gimmicked coin effects, you can do tons of stuff with S&S, and hopping halves is a great routine.

Also what would be a good place to find the Scotch & Soda Dime & Penny and China Town Half gimmick coins? I heard I'd need to get them if I want to learn those effects from the L&L DVD so I need to find a place that sells them and which one's are good quality. Also I'm thinking of getting the Charming Chinese Challenge DVD as well so I'll need a place where I can find that silk and 4 Chinese coins.