View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Annoying spectator putting coin away in pocket
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:10 am 
Penguin

Face it, we've all ran in to these annoying folks. :evil: Throughout the years of doing magic, I have putted up with many guys (and girls) taking my coins (Or other props such as cards) and putting it away in their pocket, like they're so cool or something. I see them reach over to grab my prop as they say "Look I can make it vanish too..." and I'm just standing here, wanting to slap them.

I'm kidding about the slap part, but yeah I often find myself just standing there waiting and they of course eventually give the stuff back. I've seen it way to many times now, so I often just brush it off and move on. I believe the average laymen would probably behave in this manner anyways. There are, however, some idiots that just go on and ooonnnnnn with the whole thing. so, what are some things you guys say when this happens? As I write this, the only cheesy thing I can think of is "Yeah you probably need the money more then I do, but I got a coin routine I have to finish". I'd like to hear what you guys have said and what have worked best for you. :D

Post subject: Re: Annoying spectator putting coin away in pocket
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:16 am 
Penguin

Well, I use silver coins. Honestly this doesn't happen to me. I simply wouldn't be able to handle someone putting something that expensive of mine into their pocket. It's a crowd control skill. It's your show, and you are running things. Set boundaries. Let people know what your performance space is. Give very specific instructions to people participating in your show. If you have someone who isn't cooperating, change what you are doing and adapt to accommodate.

Once again, it comes down to crowd control. If you run a tight ship, and your audience sees that, they are less likely to be bold and act out.

-ArchAngel_G

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:54 pm 
Penguin

I understand what you're saying about the whole silver coin issue, and that's a pretty cleaver idea actually. I only wish I had coins like that to work with, but I only use half dollars because then I can transition into a jumbo coin routine and such. Also, I don't run into this problem often when I'm doing actual shows. It happens most of the time when I'm doing street work or just at school, so I wouldn't be able to set to many standards before a trick in what seems like a casual setting. I'll keep everything you said in mind though, thanks for your input!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:30 pm 
born to perform.

At school- It obviously just goes with the territory. Stop performing around that person if they are going to continue to do that. Ignoring them until they return the prop is best. If they walk off with it I'm sure that won't continue once the administration finds out. If you have one of those "weird" administrations try giving a little performance for them in advance.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:53 pm 
Penguin

Thanks for your input. It's not so much that I have this problem from someone that I perform for often, ( I know not to do magic for those kinds of guys. It's annoying, friend or not) but the problem comes from real life audience/strangers. I remember this other incident where I came across a young man at the mall, I was buying a drink from his booth. I often bust out my fire wallet when I purchase things, so I got his attention when I did just that and his reaction was really good. He seemed like a nice guy, and he was I suppose. But at the end of a short coin routine that I showed him, he took the coin after examination and pretended to "vanish" it by pocketing it for a second or so. It's these small, but still very annoying incidents, that I believe many magicians come across that I too am bugged by.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:25 pm 
born to perform.

Tell'm, "Now let's see you produce it." "...In MY hand." :wink:

Fortunately those situations don't occur very often and each performer gets to decide of they are going to hand out props for inspection. If you are finding that there are certain props that people want to examine, allow the examining before the routine such as Gregory Wilson does with FreaKey.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:46 am 
Penguin

Ahh, very cleaver. Thanks! I guess the only thing I'm gonna have to work on a bit is my misdirection. Often, during the middle of the routine, I hand out the coin for examination having them make sure there are no strings or wires attach to the coin (Having after do a muscle pass trick). While they're looking at it, that's when I find time to secretly grab my jumbo 3 inch coin. I suppose after doing a muscle pass, I will have to find a way to distract them just enough to grab the jumbo coin from my pants pocket. What you said though, I'm definitely gonna try it out!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:18 am 
born to perform.

One idea is to carry a coin envelope or silk, have the spectator put the coin in to it, wrap silk around it, etc. and work some patter around that.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:07 am 
Penguin

Not a bad idea either, but I'm not one that likes to carry around props as such in a casual environment. I know, odd to hear that from one who carries jumbo quarters around and such.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:29 am 
Penguin

I believe it's possible to find jumbo versions of silver coins, though likely of a different material. Also that would be a hit to the wallet as well.

I think I've run into these kinds of people you are talking about. Contact juggling for example has had similar effects on me when I hand out my acrylic for examination. Some people, thinking they are funny, will mimic play with the ball or worse yet drop it. My solution for that has been to no longer hand out the ball for examination in most situations. The situations being where I can tell an audience member is not going to hand the ball to anyone else and simply do as I instructed and examine. Plus, this gives me credebility to everyone else, because even though they are not inspecting and handling my props, they see someone else is.

You kinda have to be able to read people. I'm sure not everyone puts the coin in their pocket, and you don't want to give up the valuable prestige you get from prop examination. How many girls put the coin in their pocket? Maybe if you focus on certain demographics, these situations will happen less.

-ArchAngel_G

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:37 pm 
born to perform.

Why do you feel the need to hand anything out for examination? Once you start doing that, it's hard to stop. It seems to me that if you're a little more selective as to whom you perform, you could eliminate the problem altogether! If it's a paid gig and you can't choose your audience, one thing you could do is to choose some material in which you do magic with borrowed objects, thereby eliminating the possibility of gimmicked items (at least in the spectator's minds).

I wish I had a nickel for every time I heard magicians say things like :"Here I have an ordinary deck of cards, coin, cup....etc" As opposed to what? Perhaps a "trick" one? Patter such as that arouses suspicion!

It might behoove you when you're performing for someone that you don't know, for the first time if you did an effect with their coin, dollar or whatever. Get them on your side from the get go, and your magic will be well received!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:20 pm 
Penguin

brisco wrote:
Why do you feel the need to hand anything out for examination?

You can still gain a little prestige when you do this. I just wouldn't suggest doing it very fequently. One thing to consider when you allow time for examination is you are somewhat breaking the flow. Everything has to stop in order for an examination to take place, focus shifts off you, some people may spend an excesive time looking. For this reason, I myself choose not to allow examination until the end or middle of a routine where I know the audience is going to want to verify there is no gimmickry. I also try to look out for those whome seem complacent; who wouldn't ask me to examine my equipment. When the time comes for my props to be examined, I can have a little more confidence that they likely won't take too long and will hand it back to me as I instructed.