View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: coins galore!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 3:33 pm 
Penguin

i love doing magic with coins, but i don't know what kind to get. could yall tell me about some of the best ones? also, i went out of town and while we were there we went to a amagic shop. inside the owner person demonstrated scotch and soda to me. i thought it was the coolest thing on earth. so i came online here to order it, and i noticed it was a little more expensice then all the other coin tricks. i was wondering is it worth paying the extra money, or should i get the dime and penny trick "scotch and soda's little brother" or should i just forget it all together and find a totally different trick! lol. thanx for the future help!!!!! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 3:43 pm 
Penguin

I am not exactly sure what you mean about what kind of COINS you should get. For me it is half dollars, if this is what you mean.

Now the scotch and soda is a little more expensive, but the reason is because the gimmick is made very well.Get this effect it is amazing.

One more thing, if you really enjoy coin work, I would reccomend a coin book to start out. The book is Modern Coin Magic by Bobo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 3:51 pm 
Emperor Penguin

I second that emotion :) ....get the Scotch and Soda (not the Dime and Penny) and the Bobo book.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 3:55 pm 
Penguin

Check out the Coin Resourses thread in this section. It has some excellent references for coin magic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 12:32 pm 
Penguin

I also recommend Scotch & Soda over Dime and Penny. Though having both is ok too!

I'm a definite novice when it comes to coin magic. I just received The Complete Introduction to Coin Magic (Ammar) DVD and it has been VERY helpful. I can learn from books, but I seem to be more of an auditory and visual learner. If you are like that, then I highly recommend this DVD.

I will also probably go ahead and get Modern Coin Magic. EVERYONE recommends it, so I'm sure it's very good. From what I understand, if you are going to do coin effects, Bobo's book is a MUST.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 1:03 pm 
Penguin

I'd also highly recommend Scotch & Soda and the Bobo book. If you're going to get the dime and penny trick, I'd recommend you get one made by Adams (which can be found on the net, on e-Bay or in any joke shop.) The Hampton Ridge set has been a huge disappointment. The coins discolor very quickly, the shell warps too easily and it's far too difficult to get the coins apart once you've done the trick.

Post subject: Hrm..
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 3:08 pm 
born to perform.

Location: Maybe it's this long so I can put my entire address, incase anyone sends free stuff, send stuff HERE
Wouldn't it be easier to go to a library and check out Bobo's book? Or is it the kind of book a library wouldn't carry?

Post subject: Re: Hrm..
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 3:31 pm 
Emperor Penguin

SaggioD wrote:
Wouldn't it be easier to go to a library and check out Bobo's book? Or is it the kind of book a library wouldn't carry?

Sure, most librarys carry it, but who wants to make a trip to the library every time you might want to check up on coin sleight/trick? At 10 bucks this book is indespensible, and you'll be referring to it for years to come.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 8:27 pm 
born to perform.

Yeah, Bobo's book is really good. I can't recommend Dime and Penny though, because mine became discolored after 2 DAYS of using it. Oh well, what can you expect, it was like 4 bucks...Ryan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 11:41 pm 
Penguin

i bought dime and penny because i didnt want to get scotch and soda at first. i mean..they seemed like the same thing..but cheaper. now i know why dime and penny is cheaper, it discolored the first day and the gimmick broke the same day. i have yet to buy scotch and soda, but eventually will. but..i'd say go with scotch and soda

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 6:06 pm 
Penguin

thanks so much i will definitely get that bobo book!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 10:25 pm 
Penguin

YOu should also get S&S It is soo cool

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:46 pm 
Penguin

Gimmicked:

Copper/Silver/Brass
Silver Shifter
Scotch & Soda (by the book too it's cheap)
Lethal Tender
Hopping Halves
Expanded Half
Chinatown Half
Copper Silver Coin

Ungimmicked Routines:

A coins across routine
A 3 fly routine
A matrix routine
A one coin flurry routine

Anything that uses fire to vanish a coin. 8)

Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 3:17 am 
born to perform.

Scotch and Soda is far superior in every conceivable way to Dime and Penny. Bobo's is a great reference book. Check out Coin to Key. There is an alternate way to make the coin vanish that is used earlier in the book but it is a great ungimmicked trick.

Last edited by jasonm921 on Fri Jul 11, 2003 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 10:03 am 
born to perform.

I purchased dime/penny from Penguin and haven't had anything bad to say about it. Mine discolored; but in a good way, it looks just like any aged penny.

I find dime/penny a better impromptu trick as most people don't carry Mexican Centavo's.