View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: how to shine a coin
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 1:15 am 
Penguin

Coin shine

How to shine your coins for the best look……
First let me clear the smoke, a lot of people have been asking where to get American half dollars. Well simply put, go to a bank, if no luck go to another. Over the holidays I went to visit my in laws. Point of that is, they live in a small town in the middle of nowhere. I went to a Bank of America and ask for some coins and viola I got ten half dollars. So check banks, there out there just for us.

Anyways once you get them you will prob want to shine those puppies up. You know being a magician you gotta have the purdiest coins in the world Besides to a laymen it’s something shinny and shinny tends to frighten and confuse them hehe. Its like a deer in the high beams of your car Such a funny sight to see them with there eyes wide open and dumbfound just by the look hehe……. Well anyways lets do this.

Okay just got the coins….time for some shopping.
1 get a bottle of “Brasso” (cost me about 2.50 at connivance store)
2 get a jewelry polishing rags. (Connoisseurs is what I use) *again a couple of bucks
3 on the rag you will notice two sides, white and pinkish purple. Whit means cleaner, and pink means polisher.
4 get a few q-tips.

Now that you are done shopping lets polish.
(4 steps)
1 get your coins and put brasso on *one side of the coins* (do this for all the coins) let the brasso dry before moving to step two.) Also you apply the brasso with the q-tips.
2 now that the brasso is dry wipe it off of the first coin then grab your connoisseurs rag and start scrubbing the coin. (Buff it, if that’s what you want to call it) *also use the white side to do this.
3 After scrubbing the coin turn it over and apply brasso to the other side and set aside to dry. *continue to the next coin with the same steps again. (*do this for both sides)
4 okay now you cleaned both sides of coin you no doubt have a black connoisseurs rag (white side) Turn it over and polish the heck outta those guys and now you have SHINNY coins!!!!

Good luck and have fun… PM me if you have questions.

B *EidolaDream IllusionS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:43 am 
Penguin

I read on another board that after you have shined the coins, coat the with Hard As Nails nail polish and they will maintain that shine for years?
Anybody tried this?
Nick Zender

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 9:40 am 
born to perform.

Skip the QTips... grab the old toothbrush :)

Post subject: idea.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 4:51 pm 
Penguin

someone said skip the qtips and go to toothbrush... I guess if you wanted to use a toothbrush that is okay... HOWEVER!!! your not scrubbing the coin with the qtips I use it to apply a thin coat of brasso on the coin let that coat dry, you want to do the scrubbing with your jewelry rag (on the white side) That should be sufficient enough to clean anything, toothbrush cleaning is a little overboard. Plus the Brasso is designed to dissolve the mildew and tarnish on contact. It does it job quite well.

Oh one more point this is safe to use on your gimmick coins, I did and they look better than new.

The part about nail polish. I wouldn’t worry about that at all, sure it may help them stay shinny, but at the expense of a thin coat of film on your coins. Plus it makes them look cheap. Just use them as normal and you will be fine. Remember you want your coins to look as normal as you can, so a good shine every year or so will do the trick.

I have been doing this for many of many years and have hand no problems at all.

Pm me if you have questions.

B

Another idea is the get “Never Dull” works great.