View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Coin Switching
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 8:33 pm 
born to perform.

Hey, a while ago I boguht a coin to do the bitten and spitten effect. The only problem is I can't find a great way to switch the coins as I'm not a n avid coin worker. I'm getting Jay's DVD soon I believe but I'm not sure if that will work here. I need some ways to switch their real coin for my gaff. I cannot post this in the PO section for this effect because I bought this at a Canadian site because I needed a Loonie. Please, help a guy out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 8:35 pm 
born to perform.

do a shuttel pass

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 8:37 pm 
born to perform.

umm that wont work for this. that is putting an object openly from one hand to another whilke secretly using that to cover the motion of secxretly putting anothe robject in the hand you just 'emptied". for this that wont work. not the right switch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 8:39 pm 
born to perform.

Utility switch found in J.B. Bobo's Modern Coin Magic book, pg 12. It is a one handed switch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 8:44 pm 
born to perform.

DO NOT get Jay Sankey's dvd before you buy Modern Coin Magic! I have heard that you need to have some knowledge of basic coin magic before buying Rev. Coin Magic. Modern Coin Magic is a must have for anybody that wishes to do coin magic, and for ten bucks you can't go wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 9:03 pm 
born to perform.

BeMan wrote:
umm that wont work for this. that is putting an object openly from one hand to another whilke secretly using that to cover the motion of secxretly putting anothe robject in the hand you just 'emptied". for this that wont work. not the right switch.

I think you got this slighlty wrong, the shuttle pass is the act of turning one hand face down, pretending to drop the coin in the other while secretly finger palming it and displaying the coin from the other.

So step by step it would be:

1. Finger palm gimmicked coin in left hand.
  2. Take specs coin in right hand.
  3. Turn right hand face down over the left hand and finger palm specs coin.
  4. SIMULTANEOUSLY turn left hand face up and display gimmicked coin

It should look as if you've just dropped the coin from one hand to the other. My patter with this is usually, 'People know that a coin has a heads...(shuttle pass) and a tails, what they don't know is that by warming the coin the texture changes and you can actually...(here I bite coin). If I'm not mistaken, that patter is from the buttercoin dvd.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 9:05 pm 
born to perform.

immortaldusk wrote:
Utility switch found in J.B. Bobo's Modern Coin Magic book, pg 12. It is a one handed switch.

It's not. Read the book again. It's a sort of shuttle pass (which isn't mentioned in the book at all) with multiple coins, allowing you to display 3 as 2 etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 10:25 pm 
born to perform.

Maybe I quoted the wrong page. Anyway there is a one handed switch in there, and I use it all the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 10:52 pm 
born to perform.

immortaldusk wrote:
Maybe I quoted the wrong page. Anyway there is a one handed switch in there, and I use it all the time.

I wasn't talking about the page number (which might be correct), the utility switch isn't a one handed change. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 11:45 pm 
born to perform.

I think the best switch for this situation is the Bobo Switch, found in in J.B. Bobo's Modern Coin Magic. You can have the gaffed coin fingerpalmed, then do the switch. The Bobo Switch is, in my opinion, the most deceptive coin switch. To switch the coin back out at the end, you could either do a Shuttle Pass or Han Ping Chien Move.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 2:59 pm 
born to perform.

I agree with melb. The Bobo Switch is the way to go. That is what I use for my folding coin.

But...make sure to practice and then practice more. Do not use the Bobo switch until you master it. It took me a while...but now it is my favorite switch.